cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake SilverTowne 1 oz. silver bars [must see counterfeit ]

If you bought or plan to buy SilverTowne 1 oz. silver bars. Thousands of buyers
were scammed. Sorry if you were one. CHECK THE REVERSE. CHECK THIS OUT.

silvertowne_opt.png
 silvertowne_opt_opt.png

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Fake silver on EbaY?? Say it ain't so!

I know nothing about buying silver, so I looked this up,  but why would someone pay $24 to buy silver from a random stranger on Ebay, when you can buy them from SIlvertowne directly for $23?

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Only buy silver town , scottdale,MCM, alydin may have miss spelt last one. buy from them direct on here not from joe smoe

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Ask the buyers. They don't do their homework. Or, they have money to burn.

There's a 10 bar counterfeit  SilverTowne sheet up now and closing in 11 hours with a $201 bid.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I certainly would not buy bullion online unless from an established company.... then go shop directly inside BM store, not likely an established store would jeopardize a businesswith fakes..some fakes or so clever only a destruction test could show a fake and how many of us would destroy bars.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

I know nothing about buying silver, so I looked this up,  but why would someone pay $24 to buy silver from a random stranger on Ebay, when you can buy them from SIlvertowne directly for $23?

Silver Art Bar collecting goes back over 50 years.  While it is not a big as before, it is still alive and well.  Many one ounce silver bars sold for over a hundred dollars when silver was only $5.00.

I used to have 1000 of them and sold them all, along with my Franklin Mint stuff, years ago on eBay.  

Some of the most valuable to collectors were what is called error bars.  Bars that have the wrong front to the back, some other mistake when the bars were made.  There is that collector mentality again where a collector want every version of something.

The hobby took a big hit when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the Silver market and silver hit $50.00 an ounce.  A large number of the bars were melted down.  It happened again a few years ago when gold and silver went way up.

So, when you see a one ounce silver bar selling above silver price or even from the mint making it, it is because it usually is no longer minted or some other reason.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

OP, are you the one from the other board that actually bought 2 to prove this?

Why give them another sale?  If you know they are fake, the idea is not to buy from them and add to the problem.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

Some of the most valuable to collectors were what is called error bars.  Bars that have the wrong front to the back, some other mistake when the bars were made.  There is that collector mentality again where a collector want every version of something.

Ahhhh, like stamps. Got it!

See, told ya I know nothing about silver lol

I still wouldn't buy silver or gold here, though.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@al-sutt wrote:

I certainly would not buy bullion online unless from an established company.... then go shop directly inside BM store, not likely an established store would jeopardize a businesswith fakes..some fakes or so clever only a destruction test could show a fake and how many of us would destroy bars.

There are many reputable buillon sellers on Ebay including Apmex, MCM and Silvertowne, so  you do not have to go to a B & M Store to make those purchases.  Truthfully I would worry about many of the B & M stores more than I would purchasing from one of these companies online.  

Also if you are buying buillon you can always purchase buillon coins that are minted by the US and Canadian Governments (.999% pure) which are also sold by these reputable sellers.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

1. Um..one troy ounce is 31.10 grams, not 32.97
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

Many times they don't think that the larger companies will do business with them for one ounce at a time.  I don't know if they do that low of a number anymore but MCM used to run 1 ounce silver auctions and it was amazing that people would pay $3-4 an ounce more from an auction than if they purchased it from a fixed price listing from the same company.  They just get caught up in the bidding frenzy ( and still do last I saw on buillon).

David

Twnpopcards

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

everyone has warned ebay this is happening.....i came across SEVERAL selling both fake gold and silver.....nothing ever happened.......

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

why are some paying $45 for a $17 ounce of silver because it has a design on it? i guarantee when you cash it in you will lose your behind

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Because of the low numbers produced. I picked up some Predator series silver rounds produced by the Royal Canadian Mint because the production numbers are relatively low which will make them worth more than face if the series catches on.

On a side note the 2017 Silver Maple Leaves have a counterfiet idenifier etched into the coins that would be nearly impossible for anyone to fake without a lot of know how.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply