cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUDULANT REFUNDS

Fraud is being committed on Ebay. Disputes are being settled by Ebay's Controlled Payment Program to not only let customers get their refund, but keep your item as well. Yes, you read it correctly. Ebay is issuing refunds and letting buyers keep the item. That's Fraud. Ebay is forcing All sellers into this Fraudulent program before the end of the year. Hope you as a seller are ready to issue multiple refunds though disputes and charge backs through the buyers banking institution. And your only defense response to the case is to issue a photo, not a written statement to defend yourself. No speech is allowed in response to cases. Only photos are allowed and if you do not load a picture into it, then they say you are Non- responsive. Even if your call them multiple times, they say you did Not respond. The cons artists will not file a return, they file a disputed chargeback instead and get to keep the item and get their money back!! And Ebay is allowing this to go on! Apparently there is corruption at the highest levels of Ebay for this to be allowed to continue. Worried 10 year seller.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: FRAUDULANT REFUNDS

Fraud CC claims happen in the thousands everyday in the US, not just on eBay 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

The only way the buyer gets to keep the item too, is if the seller does not respond to the case using Ebays criteria.And thats with a return label and refund after return.Otherwise the seller is considered non responsive and Ebay will quickly refund the buyer and he is not required to return the item. The only thing a seller can do, is after the case is closed to dispute it. Any time a seller asks Ebay to step in, they will quickly refund the buyer, that is also considered a non responsive seller.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Disputes are being settled by Ebay's Controlled Payment Program to not only let customers get their refund, but keep your item as well.

Correct. If the seller does not promptly respond to the dispute and offer a return for refund, eBay may rule in favor of the buyer and not require them to return the item. But that is written right in the in policy, so it is not fraud and it should not surprise you at all: "we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to ship the item back"

All sellers into this Fraudulent program before the end of the year. Hope you as a seller are ready to issue multiple refunds though disputes and charge backs through the buyers banking institution.

I've been in Managed Payments for four months on six selling accounts. Not a single return, dispute, or chargeback. But then again, I am not suprised since everything you describe was already in place with PayPal before Managed Payments even existed. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Hate to break it to you OP, but this is nothing new.

The only one here to blame is yourself for not reading and understanding the policies that have been set in place for over a decade now by ebay.

Simply by signing up and listing items you agreed to these terms.

PS: Photos do not matter at all. There is no way for anyone to 'prove' anything (what was sent by the seller or what was returned to the seller from the buyer). All you can do is accept the return and hope they send back the item and then refund them.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

The only way the buyer gets to keep the item too, is if the seller does not respond to the case using Ebays criteria.And thats with a return label and refund after return.

@bonjourami 

I think the OP is speaking about the forms presented to a Managed Payments seller when the buyer files directly with their payment processor.  These are NOT ebay claims, and they are often filed INSTEAD of ebay claims
  Have you seen any of these?  

There is one called "buyer didn't get a refund".  The seller's choice is to refund and let the buyer keep the product, or upload a jpg photo.   This is likely the first a seller has heard of this, since the buyer never asked for a return or refund previously.  There is no "return for refund" option.  There is no place to supply a return label.  There is no place to respond with any explanation.  You either refund NOW, or send in your photo of who knows what, and pay later with an extra $20 fee.  You don't get the item back either way. 

Same thing with a SNAD dispute made with filed with the buyer's payment provider.   Seller gets two choices. Refund and let the buyer keep the product or upload a jpg. photo.  There is no "return for refund" option.  There is no place to supply a return label. No place to respond with any text. You either refund now, or send in your photo and pay an extra $20 fee when you lose.  You don't get the item back either way. 

Even for a simple INR or a "buyer doesn't recognize the charge" , at least they give you a box to upload the tracking number.  All fine and good unless it is a service that is NOT UPS, USPS, Fed Ex, etc. that a bot can track.  Directions say on that form if a signature was required you must upload a photo of the signature.  Surprise!!!!  There is no place to upload the picture of the signature. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Well op said disputes and chargebacks..so I thought he meant both..but you are right..he then goes on to complain about chargebacks thru MP, but its no different than PP chargebacks..nothing new.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

"... they file a disputed chargeback instead and get to keep the item and get their money back!! And Ebay is allowing this to go on! ..."

Yes.  Yes they do.  It's not technically "fraud".  It's "ebay business as usual".

The cheerleaders will appear here to say "it's a cost of doing business, suck it up baby".  Or, to say "this never happens to honest sellers and you must be a crook".

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@binderzz wrote:

Or, to say "this never happens to honest sellers and you must be a crook".

I have been reading this board daily for years, and I don't recall ever seeing a post suggesting that buyers only file disputes against dishonest sellers. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

The only way the buyer gets to keep the item too, is if the seller does not respond to the case using Ebays criteria. And thats with a return label and refund after return.

These are not return requests where the seller can issue a return label and refund after return.

It's the next level up, a "Payment dispute" where eBay is now posing as a seller, because eBay receives the buyer's payment (then eBay pays the seller after deducting FVF). So when the buyer files a dispute at the next level up, eBay becomes the victim, the target of the dispute.

In a payment dispute, eBay as the seller does not want the item back, thousands of items back from thousands of payment disputes, so the solution is to just refund, then the actual seller can spar with the buyer to get the item back.

Here's what a Payment dispute for Unauthorized transaction looks like.

4tufdgh0ahfsg08auhf0g8af09a89df.jpg

But unlike PayPal, even if the seller has Proof of delivery, they lose.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

auctionairecorp
Trailblazer

BUT.. in the photo you can put a written statement on paper. For example, I was advised by Columbia ebay support to take a picture of the ebay screen with the buyer's name on it. And then type on a piece of paper which could be placed on the same screen to be read. It's some low tech bull**bleep** but believe me, I am not an eBay sympathizer, but this worked for me last week

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

not true, I have had buyers claim they threw out the product, or lost it at the Post office (LMAO) and eBay gave them my money anyway.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

on eBay it happenS twice that amount everyday, once by the buyer and once by ebay backing up the buyer.
MAKE NO MISTAKE , EBAY BUYERS CAN'T STEEL ANYTHING WITHOUT EBAY'S HELP.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

"not true, I have had buyers claim they threw out the product, or lost it at the Post office (LMAO) and eBay gave them my money anyway.'

Im sorry, that doesnt make sense..and this was after you agreed to a refund after return, and furnished the buyer a return label?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

"These are not return requests where the seller can issue a return label and refund after return.

It's the next level up, a "Payment dispute" where eBay is now posing as a seller, because eBay receives the buyer's payment (then eBay pays the seller after deducting FVF). So when the buyer files a dispute at the next level up, eBay becomes the victim, the target of the dispute.'

Im familiar with a cc chargeback..PP charged a $20 fee too for a chargeback..

Message 15 of 27
latest reply