cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exact date restocked fee not allowed not on Spring update

I read the Spring update and see restocking fees will no longer be allowed.

I can't find an exact date for that to start. Does anyone know when sellers 

will no longer be allowed to charge a restocking fee.

Thank you

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Exact date restocked fee not allowed not on Spring update

I paid what the seller definitely called a restocking fee on an item purchased after May 1. 

What has [apparently] ended is the ability for a seller to select a restocking fee from the dropdown menu in the listing form, and for eBay to apply that fee on returns.

Sellers who are able to adjust refund amounts can still do so, and [for now] they can apparently still enter terms in the text section of the return policy.

Did your item have a restocking fee in the listing?

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

@Anonymous

trinton@ebay

Thank you for your answer. I spoke with several seller friends that have stores and they tell me that they are still processing returns and charging their restocking fees. They all said that they have had returns after May 1 and had no issues collecting their stated restocking fee of 10 to 20%. Is this a glitch? Each one of those sellers have listed items within the last hour and are able to add text to their return policy

about restocking fees. Customer service phone reps. are telling sellers that those with stores may continue to charge restocking fees. Does having a store make as difference?  Thank you for your time.

Hi @honeysuckle-lane, returns started after May 1st may still be able to charge a restocking fee if the transaction occurred before may first. Any transaction after May 1st would not be able to charge a restocking fee. Though a seller is currently able to type return policy details into their listings, if these are not in alignment with eBay policy we would not allow them to enforce these details. This is the same as when sellers have a return policy, but state in the text field that they only take returns for items that were not described accurately - a return policy is for any reason, so this stipulation would not be upheld by eBay. 

Additionally, having a store makes no difference on our stance towards restocking fees. Restocking fees in a return policy will not be enforced by eBay for any purchase made on May 1st or later. It could be that some of your friends are offering partial refunds when resolving a case, which is still an option. If a buyer and seller work out a partial refund agreement, this is different from charging a restocking fee. The restocking fee option used to be available when the seller went to refund a return but is no longer available as of our changes on May 1st (unless the transaction occurred prior to May 1st.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

The answer I got a couple of days ago from a rep is nothing changes until the update goes in.  We are supposed to get an email when that happens.  Until then our restocking fee stays in place.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

A couple of days ago a rep said it will still give us the restocking fee until the update goes into place and we would recieve an email on this update.  Is the information you have correct or the returns department correct.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I had a return on April 30th and the restocking fee still showed up for me.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

As an aside, what a word picture your id creates!Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @honeysuckle-lane, returns started after May 1st may still be able to charge a restocking fee if the transaction occurred before may first. Any transaction after May 1st would not be able to charge a restocking fee. Though a seller is currently able to type return policy details into their listings, if these are not in alignment with eBay policy we would not allow them to enforce these details. This is the same as when sellers have a return policy, but state in the text field that they only take returns for items that were not described accurately - a return policy is for any reason, so this stipulation would not be upheld by eBay. 

The restocking fee option used to be available when the seller went to refund a return but is no longer available as of our changes on May 1st (unless the transaction occurred prior to May 1st.

You are incorrect here. I currently have about 4-5 remorse returns filed... all purchase dates between May 6-9 and they all show the restocking fee to be deducted from the amount as well as I didn't have to pay for the return shipping. Please don't give out incorrect info misleading sellers... I'd rather you say "I don't know but I'll find out" rather than potentially have sellers adjust their methods according to your false information. Thanks.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

The last day to charge it was April 30.  It ended May 1.

That's not what the Blue's response said. It said it ENDED ON APRIL 30.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

It ended on that day as that was the last day it could be charged.  

Message 24 of 24
latest reply