cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhancing Transparency in eBay Selling Fees

Selling items on eBay is subject to various fees, including listing,  ad, and transaction fees. These fees can sometimes be complex and challenging to track, especially when selling multiple items or dealing with various promotional offers.

By providing a clear summary that calculates the net amount after deducting all fees, eBay would make it much easier for sellers to understand precisely how much they will earn from a sale. This summary would break down the total revenue earned from the sale and then subtract all applicable fees, giving the seller a transparent view of their earnings.

Having this information upfront would allow sellers to make more informed decisions before accepting offers or setting prices for their items. It would also help sellers better manage their finances and plan future sales strategies.

Implementing such a feature would enhance transparency and convenience for sellers on the eBay platform, ultimately improving their selling experience.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Yes your FVF for Jewelry is 9% of the sales price $5000 or more and 9% of the shipping and 9% of the sales tax .  So it cost you lets say $10 no insurance to ship.  Now the big one, average, 8.8% sales tax $440.00, which now your sales is reduced to $4500.  eBay will charge you fees based on $5500 meaning $495.00 in FVF on the sale.  No idea what you paid for the item or how long you had to hold it before sale, which actually is a cost (cost of inventory on the shelf).  So if you are thinking eBay made $450.00 on the sale you are not correct, they mane $495 or roughly 10% more than you are thinking.  Subtract what you paid for the item from my math and I think you will come out with what most of my sales are, eBay is taking $25 of the net.  Which is the most important part.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

@spectrafinejewelry wrote:

The sample provided represents an offer from a client, along with the net amount you would receive upon acceptance. Before proceeding, it would greatly assist decision-making to have a breakdown of the fees and understand the net amount to the seller.

Wouldn't the acquisition cost also be a huge factor when considering an offer?

That aside ...

I have a spreadsheet set up that I use for pricing items which has a column for each category that I sell in.It could easily be used/adapted to evaluating offers.

It is tailored to my specific sales (no ad fees, no international shipping, Top Rated, etc.) and calculates the worst-case scenario which for me is international buyer shipping to a 10% sales tax state on the other coast.

It also has a line for acquisition cost so I can plug that in to make sure I am pricing my items appropriately.

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Wow - After reading your manifesto, I can see some real issues - Its rambling, incoherent and you use opinions like they are facts.  Then there's things like this: "I support people who actually provide real issues of eBay, and you simply don't" what does this actually even mean?

Anyway I lost interest quickly, but 3 things caught my attention:

1st being you literally state you plan on stalking me here with your "I will continue to point it out while you constantly complain about eBay while not leaving" statement... which is kinda weird...

2nd your frame of mind seems to be a bit self-aggrandizing since you misconstrued my statement that you were FINALLY right with your, "Thank you for establishing that I'm correct again." statement??

and 3rd, you use the term "salty" like you are way too overjoyed by a new word you just learned - 2x in your manifesto, once in your previous reply and again in replies several days ago - Maybe "salty" should be put away now...

Message 33 of 33
latest reply