cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

Buyer purchased a $2700 Rolex from me about 3 weeks ago. Then, claimed the old "I received an empty box" routine.

After about a week of losing sleep and worrying about what eBay was going to do, they finally came back and ruled in the buyer's favor. Less than 24 hours later, eBay called me and said that, not only were they reversing the case, the buyer is no longer a registered user of eBay. Great. I won the case.

Fast forward one week later...

I get an email from PayPal. The buyer opened the same case with them.

So, I provided PayPal with the following information:

Local police report #

IC3 case #

Postal Investigation #

eBay case # and disposition

Buyer's police report # (made online outside of his jurisdiction)

Additional police report # for a WalMart claim made in Dec. 2015 (similar circumstances. Again, made online outside his jurisdiction)

Detective's name who wrote the report

After speaking with the rep from PayPal, I'm pretty much assured that the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Outcome?

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

"My refund method is set to PP. However, once I realized this guy was trying to pull a scam, I removed all my funds from PP, closed my bank account linked to PP, and opened a new one. 

---------

I wouldn't count on that protecting you.

Either eBay or Paypal will just take your account to minus -2700.00 (or whatever it was)

and eventually take you to collections if you dont' pay them back.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 46 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

@billiards74 wrote:

@prefontained wrote:

As above poster mentioned - maybe the refund never made it to the buyer as the person investigating the claim put a hold on it.

BTW, I did win the case.

1. If you go back and look at all the refunds you received, you'll notice the refund arrives as soon as the email is sent.

2. You won with a courtesy review, as eBay had closed the case and forced a refund to the buyer 24 hours prior.

Message 47 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

@billiards74 wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@prefontained wrote:

As above poster mentioned - maybe the refund never made it to the buyer as the person investigating the claim put a hold on it.

And when it was noted that they said "they" didn't issue a refund, PayPal could easily have been referring to eBay, not just themselves (PayPal).

Ultimately it really doesn't matter. PayPal is saying there is no refund which is why buyer was able to open a claim. Hopefully the seller will win this claim - quickly!

Curious as to what the OP has as his ebay refund method set as. Mine is set to a CC - NOT PP.

My refund method is set to PP. However, once I realized this guy was trying to pull a scam, I removed all my funds from PP, closed my bank account linked to PP, and opened a new one. 

Just curious, what does setting it to CC do for you???

BTW, I did win the case.

Ha - and sellers scream bloody murder about Paypal holds...this is why, folks!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 48 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

How did you fight this? I just sold a 900 dollar trumpet and the buyer says the box was empty when he received it.

Message 49 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

@emilrainfor_0 wrote:

How did you fight this? I just sold a 900 dollar trumpet and the buyer says the box was empty when he received it.

You might want to start a new thread about this.  This thread is over a year old and most of the advice is outdated.

But if your buyer claims that the box is empty, then tell them that you will call the PO and file a rifled/stolen report on it and have them start an investigation.  That they should keep the box and packing material.  Ask if there is a notice of the box about arriving opened when they received it.  That the PO will want to know/see these things for a $900 item.

It is never a good idea for a seller to list an item that is worth more than their recent selling feedback.  It attracts scammers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 50 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

@emilrainfor_0

To add to @retrose1 great advice, did you send that with a signature required? 

I would call the post office for that buyers address and ask to speak to their carrier- an empty box weighs a lot less than a box holding a trumpet.

Perhaps you can get a statement from the carrier. It can't hurt.. 

ETA: Do take her advice & start a new thread.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 51 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

Yeah I opened and investigation on it through the USPS and the box was deemed delivered intact, and not tampered with. I asked the buyer if their was a stamp saying the box didnt have the contents and he said there was no stamp. He took pictures of it with the bottom of the box cut out stating that it was delivered empty.

Message 52 of 53
latest reply

Empty Box Scam (Round 2)

@emilrainfor_0 wrote:

Ask your buyer for a phone number and a good time for the Postal Inspector to come look at the empty box, which you need it for the report.

Message 53 of 53
latest reply