cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay standard envelope changes

Has anyone else experienced problems with the Ebay standard envelope?  I understood it was going to be ok to mail about 12 stamps, 3 postcards, etc.  I was just going to print a standard envelope for the sale of 8 stamps and it would only allow me to print a first-class label for 3.86, which is more that the sale.  I just talked with Ebay, and she sent me a list of what standard envelopes can be used for.  No mention of it being used for stamps, postcards, etc.  Have the categories really dropped those items, and if so, I would think that Ebay would have sent out a general notice.  Very confusing at this point.  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I noticed that there will a price increase effective August 29, 2022; but I don't see a change in terms.

Is it possible that your sale exceeds $20.00, or that your stamps are graded?  Both of those void using the eBay Standard Envelope.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@fallgold4031 wrote:

Has anyone else experienced problems with the Ebay standard envelope?  I understood it was going to be ok to mail about 12 stamps, 3 postcards, etc.  I was just going to print a standard envelope for the sale of 8 stamps and it would only allow me to print a first-class label for 3.86, which is more that the sale.  I just talked with Ebay, and she sent me a list of what standard envelopes can be used for.  No mention of it being used for stamps, postcards, etc.  Have the categories really dropped those items, and if so, I would think that Ebay would have sent out a general notice.  Very confusing at this point.  

Cannot ship more than 10 stamps. here's the link> https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-labels-services/ebay-domestic-shipping-services/ebay...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

They actually don't care what is actually inside the envelope. What matters is what categories the items are in. But apparently NO ONE at ebay knows what categories have standard envelope enabled and which ones don't. I had a huge long thread just trying to determine which stamp categories had it enabled and it was just a circle of people referring me to the contents and ebay employees who apparently had no way to just list the categories what had it enabled. 

Last I checked the various trading card LOT categories had it turned off, despite 95 percent of the stuff listed in those categories qualifying. They probably have it off in the stamp lot categories as well. You could put 100 stamps in a standard envelope fine as long as it was listed in a single stamp category and was in the correct price range.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Yours were in the lot category, weren't they.

I would just ship it with a stamp and envelope and then never list a single thing in the stamp lots category again.

I bet this thread also becomes a circle of people referring to the list of allowed items and no one able to state the list of categories which is the only thing ebay actually gatekeeps the standard envelope with besides the price limits. They don't actually enforce number of item limits.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

FYI: when shipping with a stamp and an envelope, you lose your buyer protection without tracking and it will count against your metrics for not uploading tracking. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@fallgold4031 wrote:

@fallgold4031 was it the sky lab and pioneer stamps? 

I see those were listed in the US stamp collections & lots category. Have you been able to use eBay Standard Envelope for items listed in that category before?

The reason I ask is there are several people reporting not being able to use standard envelope in the trading cards lots category as well, so I'm wondering if eBay has either messed up the programing or suddenly decided lots don't qualify.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

We should be due for the Fall Update very soon. There are usually many weird glitches when that rolls out. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I see @onefootflipper is a faster typer than I am. 😂

But for reference, here's one of the conversations about the issues trading card lots - community staff has stated multiple times they've been told by the shipping department it should work, but for some reason it isn't.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Ebay-Standard-Envelope-Option-Not-working-for-Trading-Cards/m... 

devon@ebay  - tagging you in here to see if you can go back to the shipping team on this as well. It does not seem like any of the lot categories are being handled properly for standard envelope.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

FYI: when shipping with a stamp and an envelope, you lose your buyer protection without tracking and it will count against your metrics for not uploading tracking. 

Yes, but for one mistake listing it won't matter. Then don't list in the stamp lot category ever again.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

But for reference, here's one of the conversations about the issues trading card lots - community staff has stated multiple times they've been told by the shipping department it should work, but for some reason it isn't.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Ebay-Standard-Envelope-Option-Not-working-for-Trading-Cards/m... 

devon@ebay  - tagging you in here to see if you can go back to the shipping team on this as well. It does not seem like any of the lot categories are being handled properly for standard envelope.

Hey @valueaddedresource! I will make sure to get this sent over to the Shipping Team! 

Devon,
eBay
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Doubly annoying since they are now actively trying to stop people from listing lots in the singles categories.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The stamps were priced at 3.50 for two blocks of four.  They were listed under the category US Stamps.  When I listed them, I chose Standard envelope.  When time to print a label, would only allow a first class label for 3.86

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@fallgold4031 wrote:

The stamps were priced at 3.50 for two blocks of four.  They were listed under the category US Stamps.  When I listed them, I chose Standard envelope.  When time to print a label, would only allow a first class label for 3.86

You had them in the US Stamps, Lots. Category. I looked at them.

Unfortunately the ebay system only seems to care about categories with standard envelope when it comes to generating the label. I have accidentally put it on big heavy items multiple times in the past because that is my most common shipping rule.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

In looking at my listing again, I see that I had them under Stamps, Unted States, collections, lots.  It was the collections, lots, that it didn't like, and so did not let me use the standard envelope.  So, my fault, and hope that a category selection like, Stamps, US, plate blocks, will work ok in the future.   Thanks for all you help.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply