cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay sellers using stolen credit cards to refill Straight Talk prepaid phones

I had some leftover Straight Talk prepaid cards and decided to sell them on ebay. 

However, I'm having a hard time competing with the scammers. There's dozens of them with many user names selling prepaid refills well under cost.  After watching it for two weeks or so It's easy to see that It's an organized crime ring. Their ads are mostly the same. Their prices are the same. They don't have a physical card to sell you. You mesage them your number and refill it with a stolen credit card.

I've reported the items. I've called ebay to report the sellers and explain the scam. But they're back on every day for weeks now. Ebay never takes action and refuses to shut them down. Are they that greedy! 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Eventually law enforcement will catch up with the scam, you have not reported it to the right people.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Where else can i report it? I've called ebay sevral times with all the details of sellers and item numbers. I've called Straight Talk. Ebay needs to take action but refuses.

Another thing that complicates it is when the buyer gets his phone refilled, he's happy and gives the seller positive feedback. Then a month later their phone account is terminated for fraudulent activity they can't take back the feedback. But it mostly looks positive. Though some of the negative comments call the sellers "Scammer" When there is a problem they register under a new username. There's dozens of seller names doing this.  

According to members in a  cell phone forum I belong to, it's been going on for years.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@liq1000 wrote:

Eventually law enforcement will catch up with the scam, you have not reported it to the right people.

100% agree.  Ebay will just think you are a disgrunted competitor.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

There are only two sources to buy Straight Talk refills from. Walmart or from Straight Talk's web site. They're selling hundreds of $45 refills for $33-38 and paying ebay&paypal fees from that. The sellers only items are Straight Talk refills. You can't run a busines losing money.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@lbayjr wrote:

Where else can i report it? I've called ebay sevral times with all the details of sellers and item numbers. I've called Straight Talk. Ebay needs to take action but refuses.

https://www.google.com/search?num=30&q=online+crime+reporting&oq=online+crime+re&gs_l=serp.1.0.0l10....

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I purchased a refill back in November and my account was disconnected 2 days before my service was due to renew due to seller disputing the charges on the credit card they used to refill my account. Here is the killing part, thinking this sell was on the up and up, I purchased another card from a different seller to put in my reserve tank, I know the same thing is going to happen. They send you a hd cord in the mail with tracking later on to try to throw Ebay and Paypal off. It cost me $50 to get my service back on for this month. I am working with Ebay and Paypal to get my money back from both transactions. If they do not help, I'm going to my bank for help. They will not get away with this, scamming people out of their hard earned money. Like the saying goes if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply