cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay now allows buyers to ROB SELLERS!

I got off the phone today with Ebay customer service. She said that since I sold over 150 items on ebay I am no longer covered for return fraud. The buyer purchased an item from me and sent back a different item. I provided pictures for evidence but in the end I was forced to refund the buyer. Luckily this was only a $10 item. But what if it was a expensive item? Ebay will allow buyers to get awat with robbery?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

What does the number of sales you've had has to do with it? Doesn't eBay just do this all the time?

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@destinydeals88 wrote:

I was forced to refund the buyer. Luckily this was only a $10 item. But what if it was a expensive item? Ebay will allow buyers to get awat with robbery?

To answer that question, read a few of the manny posts that appear on the boards.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I wonder too, what does the amount you sell have to do with anything????

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

The CSR was talking through her you know what.

Sellers are NEVER covered for fraudulent returns regardless of how much or how little they sell.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Yea I think ^^ is right. I've never heard of a fraudulent returns protection before. Sounds like someone just made that up to get you off the phone.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@destinydeals88,

It is too bad ebay does not protect sellers from fraud the way they protect buyers, however the USPS does protect people from postal fraud.  You can file a claim online, or by going to the P.O.. Search for USPS postal inspector.  If you retained the package your item was returned in, that helps.  You should also provide a copy or scans of your ebay listing, and photos, copies of the PayPal transactions including refund, and return shipping label if availabe.  If you go to the P.O. bring the item as well, if your original photos prove what was returned was not what was sent, but photos of both items clearly showing the differeces of the items, should suffice.

Once you have a claim number, message your buyer (get their email from the PayPal transaction) and let them know what you have done.  You may get a quick reply from them claiming they made a mistake, and sent the wrong item back.  If they do that tell them they will be responsible for returning the original item, refunding you including the cost of the return shipping label, plus the cost for you to return their item if they want it back.   It worked for me a couple of times. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@destinydeals88 wrote:

I got off the phone today with Ebay customer service. She said that since I sold over 150 items on ebay I am no longer covered for return fraud. The buyer purchased an item from me and sent back a different item. I provided pictures for evidence but in the end I was forced to refund the buyer. Luckily this was only a $10 item. But what if it was a expensive item? Ebay will allow buyers to get awat with robbery?

Trinton@ebay.com, this is news to many here.  Is the above yet another eBay policy change, or an opportunity to review CSR training and provide coaching/correction?    Thank you.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

The only way I know to successfully dispute one of these returns is to get the buyer to admit to sending the wrong item.

Last month, someone sent me a different item than I sold her. I wrote to her and described what I'd sold vs what I'd received and asked her if she'd confused me with another seller from whom she'd bought the item I received.

She wrote back and apologized and promised to return the correct item.

When she didn't return it as promised, I wrote to her before the date she could escalate the Return Request to a case (since the 'returned' item was tracked as delivered, I had a deadline to refund)  and she responded that she'd changed her mind about returning my item and wanted to close the return.

I phoned eBay and they escalated MY complaint to a case and immediately closed it in my favor.  The eBay staff person and the follow-up email message explicitly cited the buyer's admission in her message(s) that she'd returned a different item than she'd purchased from me.

I know that some sellers use various other methods to try to assure that they get back the correct item, in original condition.  From videoing the opening of the package, opening it in from of USPS staff or other witness(s), using some secret mark on the item, or putting some kind of ziptag on the item that won't let the item be used without breaking the tag....I have never heard any of these methods actually helping a seller with the problem.

Far as I know, the buyer's confession is all that works.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

You need to put the @ in front of the ID

@Anonymous

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
@You need to put the @ in front of the ID

@Anonymous

Looks like you already have.  Thsnks.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

= )

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@city*satins

Do confirm whether your exchanges with the buyer are Within the Return Request open or via eBay messages.

Thank you.

-

Lucas

*still rollin with the punches*

Sophie Forever Sidekick: Apr 2007 to Sep 05, 2017

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

They have got to figure out something with these scammers.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Fwiw, it appears that a number of new return polices have been implemented in the last few weeks. The published information on the site remains the same (no notification of anything new to the seller base), but clearly there have been some signicifant changes. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply