cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay manged payments 1099 for 2018

Hi, 

In the past, when eBay and PayPal were integrated PayPal would issue the 1099 for the end of a year  for sales. However,  for those who opted in to Ebay Managed Payments, will Ebay generate a 1099 for 2018?

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

@dafnaquality wrote:

Hi, 

In the past, when eBay and PayPal were integrated PayPal would issue the 1099 for the end of a year  for sales. However,  for those who opted in to Ebay Managed Payments, will Ebay generate a 1099 for 2018?

@Anonymous Will eBay be producing the required 1099 by the federal deadline?

Dates on the calendar are much closer than they appear.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Good question. Ebay is the lag behind on all of my tax items for 2018 and I still dont know how thats gunna go. I keep track of every category of everything I do separately so..... I mean Ill figure it out somehow but I have no idea where that information is for me.
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

They don't have a choice.  They will have to if you are a seller that qualified for a 1099 to be created.  If they opt not to release them, then they will experience fines by IRS.  Well normally they would, with the federal shut down, I don't know if that will have any affect or not.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 53
latest reply

@dafnaquality wrote:

Hi, 

They should (and probably will) for anyone that reaches the limit. That limit would not include payment prior to signing up for Managed Payments nof course do only if you exceeded the limits between September & December 31st.

You shouldn't need the 1099 anyway, surely you know the amount of revenue received.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

You're most likely right. They'd have no obligation to produce a 1099 unless you were a megaseller who reached the thresholds within that 4 months.

But they better have their ducks in a row by tax time next year.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 6 of 53
latest reply

$5000/month makes you a megaseller????

Adyen would be the one issuing the documentation, since they have lots of US clients already I'm quite sure they know their obligations.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dafnaquality wrote:

Hi, 

Hi @dtexley3, if you have more than $20,000 USD in gross payment volume and more than 200 transactions within the calendar year, you will receive an IRS Form 1099-K. 

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dafnaquality wrote:

Hi, 

Hi @dtexley3, if you have more than $20,000 USD in gross payment volume and more than 200 transactions within the calendar year, you will receive an IRS Form 1099-K. 

@Anonymous Since the managed payments was implemented mid-year, how does affect those that sold more than $20k through Paypal, but didn't hit the $20k under eBay's MP?  Will eBay generate a 1099 for just the sales paid via MP, or for the entire year, essentially doubling up those sales processed by Paypal? 

Sorry to keep asking but so far there's not a lot of clarity on how there regulatory reports will be supplied and what they will contain.

The deadline for the 2018 1099-K is less than a week away, and there's been very little information released about this.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dafnaquality wrote:

Hi, 

@Anonymous Since the managed payments was implemented mid-year, how does affect those that sold more than $20k through Paypal, but didn't hit the $20k under eBay's MP?  Will eBay generate a 1099 for just the sales paid via MP, or for the entire year, essentially doubling up those sales processed by Paypal? 

Sorry to keep asking but so far there's not a lot of clarity on how there regulatory reports will be supplied and what they will contain.

The deadline for the 2018 1099-K is less than a week away, and there's been very little information released about this.

Hi @dtexley3, while you may receive multiple forms for your business, transactions would not be duplicated. Those through Managed Payments would have one form, while those through PayPal would have another. The threshold is not account specific, but related to your Tax ID. If you have not reached the minimum threshold for a 1099-K within an individual account, but have reached the minimum thresholds across multiple accounts, you will receive a form for each.

I'll pass along feedback from this thread to the appropriate teams to look into necessary communications on this topic. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

Thank you Trinton, that does help clarify.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Adyen would be the one issuing the documentation, since they have lots of US clients already I'm quite sure they know their obligations.

I doubt there's many (if any) megasellers reading these boards anyway.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 12 of 53
latest reply

Great question.  I believe they would have to.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

They do have many large US clients.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dafnaquality wrote:

Hi, 

I think the deadline to send these was Jan 31.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply