cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay literally told me that it doesn't matter if the buyer pees on my item and breaks it!!

I'll start by saying I'm a top rated seller with a 5 star item as described rating. I've been using Ebay for about 18 years and now I'm done as of today. I just deleted all of my auctions and my store.

If you list ANY return policy in your auction and it is a High Value Item by Ebay standards you need to know that Ebay will literally tell you that any buyer and seller communication is irrelevant and you must accept a return that was initiated as "Not as described" regardless of the return situation and that the Return Item Condition Policy will no longer apply if the buyer escalates the dispute. Ebay told me that even if the buyer admits in a message that they dropped the item or peed on it that I must take it back if the buyer clicked not as described within the return period and escalates the case. The buyer spent 5 days misusing my golf simulator with incompatible hardware that even my children could understand was not compatible. Ebay literally refused to take any evidence into account. They actually told me they only will review information that Ebay themselves requested and since they didn't request anything, they won't even review the buyers own messages of improper usage the subitted through the Ebay messaging system.

I sold a Skytrak golf launch monitor on Ebay, $2,000 item, it tracks the flight of real golf balls hit with a real club. I put returns are accepted only if it arrives non-functional. The unit sits about 8-10" from where you place the ball and forward from it, so you can understand why I wouldn't want returns after use. The buyer received the item and thanked me for sending it so quickly, so I know it arrived ok. After 5 days I get a random request for return saying the product wouldn't sync with their Ipad and there was a delay after hitting the ball before it showed on the screen.

When I asked which Ipad they were using they replied an Iphone 6s, which is clearly not an Ipad and listed as non compatible with the Skytrak on the manufacturers site. Then when the buyer was told the Iphone was not compatible, they changed their answer to an "Ipad 2016", well there is no model called an Ipad 2016 and none of the models made in 2016 are compatible with the Skytrak. After 5 days of misuse with incompatible hardware I'm now responsible for $35 return shipping and I have to accept the item and return the buyers funds regardless of the item condition. I made no claims of compatibility in my auction other than mentioning that it was previously used with an IPad Air 2 which is on the list of approved devices. BTW, the Skytrak processes nothing, it just takes pictures. The hardware attached to it processes everything and is responsible for the delay and processing the ball flight data into an image.

After the buyer clearly admitting they used incompatible hardware with my hardware and I provided clear proof to Ebay that the buyer voided the manufacturers warranty, I don't see why I'm forced to accept a return when the item also met everything as described. The buyer also admitted to buyers remorse when they tried to blame me for selling something they found "difficult to use" Ebays Money Back Guarantee policy specifically says buyers remorse isnt covered. Which one is it I asked the buyer.... are you returning it because it's difficult for you personally to use or because it's not syncing and broken...no answer. I didn't know I needed to offer an IQ test in my auctions and returns would be forced due to lack of intellect. Not my fault if you don't research something before you buy it for compatibility. A buyer shouldn't be able to buy a PS4 System and then return it for not meeting item as described when their Xbox games don't play properly in it. But Ebay told me that indeed I would be responsible for that return and have to pay return cost as well. Ebay told me that it's just the risk of me doing business with them that I have to accept a return in any condition the buyer returns it and they'll still take the refund out of my account.

At the end of the day, if you want your auction to count towards your Top rated seller or Powerseller rating, then you are required to list a return policy. So just know that you'll then have to accept the return for any reason, even misuse or someone peeing on it. I'm not even asking them to take my word for it on the misuse, the buyers clearly stated it on their own. The sellers you would think Ebay counted on the most the ones with the least protection and they least care about apparently. I have far more proof of the buyers wrong doing and about 10 screenshots worth of evidence. I even have proof from the manufacturer that they tested the item just prior to the buyer receiving it. But Ebay won't even read it, or anything else. I literally can't find one term of condition the buyer met to qualify for this return or that I did incorrectly (other than offering a return at all). I'm scared to death that the real reason this is coming back is because they blasted the until with a ball and damaged something inside(it uses real balls and clubs).

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay literally told me that it doesn't matter if the buyer pees on my item and breaks it!!

@graciejoy wrote:

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

Gotcha!

I'm the same way with returns and always have been. I even pay return shipping.

Amazon does their 3P sellers the same way Ebay does, only they do ban excessive returners. They don't say the exact percentage, but rumor has it that if you return more than 10-15% of purchases, you get banned. Not just the member, the entire household/address/credit card. Until a person gets that permaban, they are just as free to return boxes of air as an Ebay refund scammer is.

Ebay really, really, really needs to clamp down on serial returners and refund scammers by using not just an ID block, but an address/credit card block as well.  Until they do a seller's only recourse is to fight via third party channels like the police, the Postal Inspectors and iC3.

I think that is an extremely good idea on the part of Amazon. At the store that I worked at for years, we had customers that returned things at the very end of the return period and get something else and then the process would repeat itself. We simply banned them. They were just wearing jewelry and then got tired of it and were basically trading it in for something new. These people did that with every store in town and as and accountant, I can tell you that the accountants and bookkeepers of the businesses knew who these people were in town and we told each other and banned them. That is what retailers normally do. Ebay is the only place that I have seen that lets these people just run amuck. They do not let sellers give accurate feedback, so these same people do it over and over again.

Never going to happen.

I am sure that ebay has realized that scammers and serial returners buy a whole lot more than any honest buyer ever will.  Amazon makes it up in volume from honest buyers.  ebay makes it from the rest.

(*Bleep*)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

I'll admit, I didn't read your rant. After all, they'll all the same. The bottom line, if you list on eBay you offer at LEAST 30 days returns on pretty much anything. 180 days if you took PayPal. Sorry, welcome to the new eBay.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

Ebay has been peeing on sellers for years, why would they care if a buyer wants to join in?

If you sell on Ebay, you have to accept returns. I do not know why they give sellers the option of saying they do not accept returns, but for some strange reason they do that. Nevertheless, all sellers accept them. I am sorry this happened to you. Ebay has basically destroyed itself and all of its sellers.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Thank you. It's amazing how little they care about their sellers
Message 4 of 52
latest reply

@graciejoy wrote:

Ebay has been peeing on sellers for years, why would they care if a buyer wants to join in?

If you sell on Ebay, you have to accept returns. I do not know why they give sellers the option of saying they do not accept returns, but for some strange reason they do that. Nevertheless, all sellers accept them. I am sorry this happened to you. Ebay has basically destroyed itself and all of its sellers.

That is the thing - sellers don't have to accept returns.

The seller can say no returns - I don't want it back, just throw it in the trash - BUT, no matter what, they DO have to refund.

"NO RETURNS" DOES NOT EQUAL "NO REFUND".

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 52
latest reply

As long as you give ebay control over your finances - see UA - ebay controls who gets refunds and when.

The seller has little to say about it - It is sort of like the line from the old song: "If the right one don't get you, then the left one will" (If ebay don't get you, then paypal will)

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 52
latest reply

Ebay has basically destroyed itself and all of its sellers.

I cannot think of one brick and mortar store (not going out of business) that does not accept returns.  People simply would not shop there.

As far as what the buyer did to the OP, that is due to the moral decay of society as to why returns are getting worse.

And ebay sides with the buyer like most stores do to create good will to keep their customers coming back.,  Unfortunately, that also includes the scammers who abuse it.

When I used to work Christmas returns, we took everything back, no matter what.

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

My feeling is that if a buyer wants to return an item they will.  Given that, it is usually not a good idea to try to fight that.  My hope is to get the item back intact. 

Since you did offer a return policy for this item, the buyer was not required to give any reason since remorse is reason enough.  We are not permitted to put stipulations on returns...but even if you didn't have a policy they could still return by claiming a problem whether one existed or not.

That's a high dollar item to have this happen with which is stomach churning as a seller.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I cannot think of one brick and mortar store (not going out of business) that does not accept returns.  People simply would not shop there.

As far as what the buyer did to the OP, that is due to the moral decay of society as to why returns are getting worse.

And ebay sides with the buyer like most stores do to create good will to keep their customers coming back.,  Unfortunately, that also includes the scammers who abuse it.

Quite true, returns, and refunds, are a fact of life.

I was, however, commenting on the fact that I think what many sellers mean when they say 'No Returns' is actually 'No Refunds'.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Many things like electronics and software have stipulations, there is no blanket policy. For the most part, second hand/thrift/pawn stores accept no returns at all. If you replace the original merchandise with a brick, no store, not Target, Not Walmart is going to take it back.

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

It's unreal that there are zero stipulations to a return. I had the package shipped to the UPS Customer Service center for the return and I'm going to open it in front of a licensed notary so I can document the condition as well as video the opening of the package while still in the store. That's about the best I could come up with to have some level of recourse if it's damaged or a brick in the box. Figured if I open it at home by myself I'm screwed either way.
Message 11 of 52
latest reply

I hate to tell you but none of that will matter.  Others have videotaped packages, and ebay would not consider it.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Most stores do not give into scammers. That is simply inaccurate. Even when they file for chargebacks, most stores simply contest the chargeback and win. I know that because I worked for a very large jewelry store that did over $24 million a year in sales. Whenever we had chargebacks, I simply disputed them. I never lost a case. I have also helped a lot businesses here in town. with their credit card chargebacks and once again, I never lost a case. It is only Ebay that just rolls over for scammers and they do that because they have no investment in that inventory. If they owned that inventory it would be a completely different story. 

Also most of the stores in this area regularly talk to each other. We know who tries to pull the scams regularaly and they are banned. Most take returns, but if that returned item has been destroyed then they do accept it as a return. Why in the world would you want criminals to come back in your store. I would not want them back. This false idea that the customer is always right only exists in the heads of people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

If someone sends you something that they damaged or switched or an empty box, simply file a report with the United States Postal Inspector and get a case number. Call the police department and get a Case number.

Ebay WILL take notice. They also DO pay attention to videos made with a third party such as a postal employee filming you at the post office opening it. 

You have to be diligent, but Ebay will take notice.

Having said that, I am a firm believer in accepting returns and processing refunds. Never argue with people wanting to return something. It is a waste of time because Ebay makes you accept returns. Wait until you get the item back and then you can process the refund if the item is fine. If the item is not yours or if you have received an empty box, then you can take the steps mentioned above. I know there are people on here that constantly say that if you get an empty box or a damaged item, or a switched item it is just a cost of doing business and you have to give in. You do not in either a brick and mortar store or on Ebay. 

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I shop EVERYDAY at brick and motor stores that do not give refunds, if you don't, your a a smuck paying WAY too much for your goods.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply