cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay just opted all my listings into global shipping...newish seller here

This is my first post and I have learned a great deal by viewing these posts. I have seen numerous complaints about eBay adding best offer to listings which also annoys me a lot, but this is taking it to the next level for me. I am in the process of currently changing all my listings (luckily not that many) that they added the global shipping program. When they add best offer it's usually to a handful of listings at a time, but tonight every single one I have to remove this option. I still need to research the global shipping program to see if it is for me or not but they are trying to make the decision for me?! Any insight would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I believe there is a check box to opt in / out of the GSP, located in Account > Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences.  (There is just a random link to Shipping Preferences on the Site Preferences page.)

The GSP is the most useful for people who ship very heavy items (because its prices are pretty competitive for heavy packages) or who sell in categories that have a ton of scammers, like the phones section.

IMO it is not worth it if you don't fall into one of those two categories.  International buyers absolutely hate this program because it's expensive for them, but also very slow.  My feeling is if you have a buyer willing to pay a lot of money for shipping, just charge them for Priority International Mail, which is about the same price but a lot faster and safer.  (Safer because you do not risk Pitney-Bowes switching labels between your package and another package, or damaging your item with their box cutters.)

In case you are wondering if it is hard to ship internationally on your own without the GSP, it's not hard at all.  🙂  You just ship the printing label from eBay like with any other item.  eBay automatically fills in the customs form, which is part of the label.  You print the label and sign it / date it on one little spot and that's it, you're done.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Many of these listing issues happen because of a seller listing with the Mobile App or with the QLT [quick listing tool].  These two ways are streamlined and Ebay assumes too much for my liking.

I only use the Advanced Listing Form to list my items.  In this form you can see all the fields and Ebay does not opt you into stuff without you knowing it.

As for your GSP issue.  Go into your Site Preferences and make sure they are set the way you want them for GSP.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@busybeeshopper12 wrote:

This is my first post and I have learned a great deal by viewing these posts. I have seen numerous complaints about eBay adding best offer to listings which also annoys me a lot, but this is taking it to the next level for me. I am in the process of currently changing all my listings (luckily not that many) that they added the global shipping program. When they add best offer it's usually to a handful of listings at a time, but tonight every single one I have to remove this option. I still need to research the global shipping program to see if it is for me or not but they are trying to make the decision for me?! Any insight would be appreciated. 

Hi, haven't heard this complaint in a long time. When eBay first came out with the GSP in 2012, sellers were being opted in by default and it irritated a lot of eBayers. So they stopped the practice of auto opt in for it eventually. I remember regularly checking my account to ensure the box wasn't getting ticked in favor of the GSP. Haven't had to worry about checking it in years. (I also use the Advanced Listing tool for my listings. Affords much greater control.)

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Posting from Canada, using my own postal code.

I don't see any of your items as shipping to Canada.

I also Searched on eBay Canada for your Ciroa easter parade plates, and you did not have a listing in the 16 I was shown.

But that list also showed a Barbie Easter Parade coat-- so take it as you will.

Whatever the Simplified Sell Your Item form is telling you, it's lying like a bad boyfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDc_5zpBj7s

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you! I followed your directions with the shipping preferences and sure enough the box was now checked for the global shipping program. I had to opt out and it was clear eBay did not want to encourage me to do so! Took me to a screen listing all the benefits and kept asking "are you sure?"   The will save the information you provided about shipping internationally on my own if I decide to do so! 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I do use the quick listing tool. To me this is even more invasive then them adding best offer to my listings. I did change it on each listing and in site preferences. Thank you for your response! 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Interesting that this has happened in the past. I wonder if Ebay is pushing this strongly again to others as well. Thank you for your response. I had to opt out in site preferences. I will try out the advanced listing tool. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. Last night all my listings were showing "ships to the United States and many other places" and I was opted in to the global shipping program on the site preferences. I have since changed it so the problems shouldn't be presenting itself on my listings but was wondering if this was happening to others. I appreciate you looking for me! 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@busybeeshopper12 wrote:

I do use the quick listing tool. To me this is even more invasive then them adding best offer to my listings. I did change it on each listing and in site preferences. Thank you for your response! 

I'm glad so many of us were able to offer you some useful information.

I wish you much success with selling on Ebay.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I noticed recently that when creating new listings, the global shipping box is checked by default, when it never was before, ever.  It is an easy fix, I just unchecked it, but it seems sneaky on ebay's part.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@mam98031 

Hi, Mam. Not to open pandora's box, but wasn't there some discussion that if you are using the Qlist tool and you go in and revise what you do not want (like best offer and the global), eventually it reverts back on its own? Just learning here from reading lots of threads about it. Unless the OP has reversed from the Qlist to the Advanced. Thanks for all of your wisdom and help.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@mam98031 

Hi, Mam. Not to open pandora's box, but wasn't there some discussion that if you are using the Qlist tool and you go in and revise what you do not want (like best offer and the global), eventually it reverts back on its own? Just learning here from reading lots of threads about it. Unless the OP has reversed from the Qlist to the Advanced. Thanks for all of your wisdom and help.

I think I've seen that mentioned, but to me that is a lot of work that doesn't have to be done.  Just change the tool you are using to list with to the Advanced Listing form.  Problem solved.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Most of my sales are international (from Canada international includes the USA).

But again from a Canadian point of view, defaulting sellers into the GSP is very very stupid.

On the eBay Canada Board there are constant posts from very unhappy buyers who thought they had a purchase, who may even have paid for their purchase, only to have it cancelled by a seller who can't figure out how they got an unAmerican buyer.

This is in addition to the posts from Canadian buyers who are shocked that they were paying duty and sales taxes on top of the shipping cost they saw earlier.

Although eBay has improved how GSP costs are displayed since it was introduced.

The purpose of this Seller Protection program was to encourage American (and later UK) sellers to look outside their borders at the other seven billion potential customers.

On low value items American sellers who would like to experiment with cross-border shipping should look into USPS First Class International PARCEL shipping.  Because it uses the postal system, duty and sales taxes are rarely charged and the service is Delivery Confirmed for Canada.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply