cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is sending out Mass Mailers asking Buyers to Return Items Before they have even Purchased them

Dear Ebay,

Who's stupid Idea was this?

To send out mass emails asking buyers to return Items before they have even purchased them?

I'm being bombarded by emails asking me to buy items simply so I can return them and not pay for them.

Who in their right minds at ebay thinks this is a good idea,  and will help the sellers?

How do you guys come up with ideas this stupid?

I'm Convinced more than ever That Ebay is run by people who are either completely incompetent.  or that Ebay absolutely hates their own sellers and will do anything they can to put as many of us out of business as possible.

Or the truth lies somewhere in between.

Is there a Plan to Replace Ebay's existing platform with something different,  so they are doing everything they can to collapse the current platform.  Quadruple the selling fees.  If you follow Ebay's suggested business practices, Selling fees are now approaching 60 - 70% of the Items sale price.  There's literally nothing left for most sellers after they purchase what ever it is they are trying to sell.  Charging Blackmail fees for Product visibility,   Destroying EBAY to change it to a Chinese Direct Marketplace with items costing less than the cheapest shipping options here in the USA.  Which already exist on DHgate, AliExpress, Amazon, etc...  There's no reason to copy Amazon,  If we want to sell on Amazon,  we will just sell on Amazon.  Trying to destroy Ebay isn't going to make people stop selling on Amazon,  or Craigslist, or FaceBook, or Instagram, or where ever.

Come on man.  Are you seriously asking buyers to return items they haven't even purchased yet?  Who comes up with these marketing ideas?  what are you doing?

Seriously Ebay.   Why would you do this?  Who does this benefit?

Please see the attached Pic.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Ebay is sending out Mass Mailers asking Buyers to Return Items Before they have even Purchased them

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where buyers are being asked to return things.

It's a marketing message, nothing more. Free return shipping is a selling point for a lot of buyers.  I don't know of anyone who buys something with the sole intent of returning it, but they do consider a seller's return policy before buying.

"Who in their right minds at ebay thinks this is a good idea, and will help the sellers?"  Well, if it drums up business for sellers, that's a good thing, right? And if a seller does not want to do free returns, then they don't have to...and those that DO don't need to complain when they get returns, since free returns means a seller paid return for any reason or no reason at all. (and yes, I have seen many free return sellers having the nerve to actually complain that someone returned something and they were expected to pay for it.)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I agree with you - i have recieved 3 return requests in 10 years 3 of them last week

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

That's why I don't offer "free returns". I will do that when business picks up and I become a Walmart or Target.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Thank God I don't offer returns. I could see how that could cause problems. I feel like that is the wrong thing to be pushing. I want buyers not return-ers...
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@onestop_funstop wrote:

To send out mass emails asking buyers to return Items before they have even purchased them?

They are not asking buyer to return items.

They are just letting buyers know that item has free returns.

Happy Easter
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I agree with you too. I have mentioned this on a few previous discussions. Ebay is telling buyers that they do not have to take their purchase seriously. Just had a buyer who dickered over the price of an item last week return it because in the end it cost too much. Of course the buyer wrote "not as described", but in the message to me they wrote that they spent too much. So who gets hit with the shipping cost -- me.  I only offer free returns on jewelry because the shipping cost is relatively inexpensive. Any item over 4 oz. is return with buyer paying the shipping cost, unless they decide to go with "not as described".  This email is encouraging free inspections of items to decide if they want the item. I have even had buyers tell me that they wear some of the jewelry to parties and then return it at my cost. 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

That does not look like they sent a message to buyer suggesting they return their items. It looks like you viewed a item and did not purchase it. The message also looks like they are trying to get you to make a purchase by telling you if there is a problem the seller takes returns. so perhaps you might be persuaded to buy the item if you ere on the fence about purchasing it. It is not like they said hey buyer please send this item back so the seller can not keep the money if they did that they would lose the final value fee's.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Pluss it is not like they are letting the cat out of the bag as the return policies for the sellers are listed in the listings.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Think about this

Have you been reading your updates to fee changes?

Have more than a couple returns in a year...ebay charges another 6% in final value fees

more than 1 or 2 item not as described cases...another 4% in final value fees

now ebay is getting 20% of the items value and the shipping...so now they are getting about 25% of everything sold on their site

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@onestop_funstop  YOU OFFER FREE RETURNS DON'T COMPLAIN WHEN A BUYER TAKES YOU UP ON IT!

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where buyers are being asked to return things.

It's a marketing message, nothing more. Free return shipping is a selling point for a lot of buyers.  I don't know of anyone who buys something with the sole intent of returning it, but they do consider a seller's return policy before buying.

"Who in their right minds at ebay thinks this is a good idea, and will help the sellers?"  Well, if it drums up business for sellers, that's a good thing, right? And if a seller does not want to do free returns, then they don't have to...and those that DO don't need to complain when they get returns, since free returns means a seller paid return for any reason or no reason at all. (and yes, I have seen many free return sellers having the nerve to actually complain that someone returned something and they were expected to pay for it.)

You mean by people like the OP? lol

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@toys-at-22 wrote:

Think about this

Have you been reading your updates to fee changes?

Have more than a couple returns in a year...ebay charges another 6% in final value fees

more than 1 or 2 item not as described cases...another 4% in final value fees

now ebay is getting 20% of the items value and the shipping...so now they are getting about 25% of everything sold on their site

I think that you have misunderstood some of that information.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

But you do offer returns. There is no such thing as no returns on Ebay. The only difference between saying no returns and accepting returns is that ebay might refund your seller fees if you accept returns but absolutely will not if you don,t accept returns. Why is it Ebay can take my money and return it to a buyer who makes a false claim but they wont take a buyers money and give it to me when a buyer does not pay?
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Just a general comment. 

All returns on eBay are free to the buyer so long as the the buyer knows how to work the system.  So in reality, it matters not what  any seller's return policy might be.  Those sellers with "free returns" just make it easier for a buyer not to have to lie. 

As a buyer I have bought 20 items in the last month. I did not consult a seller's return policy once.  I already know it doesn't matter. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply