cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay forcing me to give an SSN for Managed Payments. Nonsensical...

Hello, ebay told me I have to switch to their managed payments system by October 22nd 2019. Managed payments do seem like an improvement yet they keep asking me for the SSN of the CEO of the large business I sell for. I am not a home seller, I work for a large corporation. I never even met the CEO yet Ebay thinks it is OK to withhold money until I provide them with this very sensitive information.

None of the other marketplaces require this. Are any other sellers having these types of issues? I called ebay and they have not provided me with a work around or alternative. I do not mind giving an EIN or other company information but the personal SSN of the CEO is asking for too much.

Ebay has not identified why they even require the SSN when I spoke to them on the phone.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I bet the companies tax id would work
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@real-rooms wrote:

Ebay has not identified why they even require the SSN when I spoke to them on the phone.

As others have pointed out, they do not need the CEO's SSN, a company's taxpayer ID will do. 

That aside ...  

eBay does not "want" it - they are required by law to report it, so they will prevent you from using their service unless or until you comply.

By law, eBay must send a 1099K to the IRS for any taxpayer ID that meets the reporting threshold. 

But if they wait until after you meet the threshold - and you refuse to provide a taxpayer ID - that would put eBay in violation of the law. 

So they ask for it well in advance to protect themselves from being in violation of the law. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

If you are selling for a company, then ask them to deal with this.

If you are selling for your own profits, then you would supply your tax identification to ebay.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Have you not been required to give this information to paypal so the 1099k forms could be issued?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Try giving them the EIN number that tax identification number should suffix. We
Used our tax identification number many times before. We now sell on eBay to get rid of items we have left before closing out everything.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Correction on spelling (suffice) not suffix.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Tell Ebay all they need is a standard Federal W-9 which works for individual to employer or business to business for IRS tax reporting purposes. You can download the form online fill it out with the business tax ID# and email it over to Ebay. That should get the job done for you.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Terrifying to me. Name address phone ssn and bank acct number with glitchy ebay and overseas customer service. What could possibly go wrong?
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Keep in mind, this is the larger spectre surrounding "managed payments", they want your SSN
*Which Means*
the next landmark decision a-la tiny-online-general-store-vs-placeholder-state will prolly cause ebay to send all the small to medium sellers with gross proceeds north of 600$/annum, New Year cards, with a 1099 enclosed! Once that happens, it is too late, you're done, you cannot walk it back!
Regardless of one's opinion regarding the virtues of a nearly 50% all-inclusive tax burden on most Americans; The reality is that ebay's core, who are selling off the junk in Uncle Olof's attic to the tune of a measly 4 grand or whatever a year, are no way gonna waste eons trying to find the original Basis of those goods to avoid a 30% rate (+whatever their State rate is), nor will they usually totally fudge same as an expedient. So while you can, if they try forcing you into MP, find a greener pasture.
NEVER give out your SSN to online shops- EVER!!!!!

NB, "Trusted Business Partners" = anyone who gives us money. Can you spell hacked?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@real-rooms wrote:

Hello, ebay told me I have to switch to their managed payments system by October 22nd 2019. Managed payments do seem like an improvement yet they keep asking me for the SSN of the CEO of the large business I sell for. I am not a home seller, I work for a large corporation. I never even met the CEO yet Ebay thinks it is OK to withhold money until I provide them with this very sensitive information.

None of the other marketplaces require this. Are any other sellers having these types of issues? I called ebay and they have not provided me with a work around or alternative. I do not mind giving an EIN or other company information but the personal SSN of the CEO is asking for too much.

the reason they need a number is for a 1099 at end of year 
I just went through this with paypal, As I went over the threshold,  I simply confirmed my SSN (they already had it anyways) 
For a business like you are talking about, EIN should be all you need to provide that is what would need to be on 1099 or any other tax form related to the corp. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

MANAGED PAYMENTS IS A NIGHTMARE FOR SELLERS!  WE HAVE BEEN STRIPPED OF ALL PROTECTION WE HAD WITH PAYPAL!  PLEASE READ! By removing paypal from the equation, we have also lost the protection of Paypal.  If you sold to a "verified" buyer, then you were protected....no matter what!  Here is what just happened to me.....I sold an item for $480 at auction last Oct 2019.  I sold it "as is" but of course eBay gives them 30 days to return if Item is "not as described" right?  OK, so in LATE JANUARY, four months after I sold the item, the buyer goes to HIS CREDIT CARD COMPANY/BANK and files a dispute for the $480 charge saying "the item was not as described".  The bank contacts ebay, ebay sends them the info/details regarding the sale, and the bank sides with their customer refunding him the $480 (sucking it back from ebay).  Then what does ebay do?? they charge that back to me!!!!!  They add to my seller account bill the $480 PLUS A $20 dispute fee!!  So now I owe ebay $500 and guess what?? the buyer gets to keep the item too!  And wait, it gets even better, I was shocked and had this decision reviewed by the ebay review board which came back as "sorry, you are **bleep** out of luck! You owe us $500".  So, I figure when the $500 charge comes through my credit card, I WILL DISPUTE IT! Right?  well I can't...because I continuously sell on eBay and my "managed payments account had over $500 in it from other sales AFTER this dispute....ebay siphoned their $500 from my sales money.  So, it will NEVER be a charge on my credit card for me to dispute.  And WAIT! I am not done!  They not only siphoned it from my other sales, they ALSO added it to my seller account bill so they are taking the $500 from me TWICE!!  I have a customer service agent working on that double charge as we speak, she says it's a known problem they are working on. ON a side note: check your seller account bill against your managed payments transactions. PAYPAL ABSORBED THESE DISPUTES AND HANDLED THIS ON OUR BEHALF, EBAY TOOK THAT AWAY FROM US AND ARE NOW THEIR OWN PAYMENT PROCESSOR BUT SINCE THEY ARE NOT A FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AS PAYPAL IS, THEY ARE NOT EQUIPED TO FIGHT THESE BATTLES ON OUR BEHALF AND INSTEAD PASS IT BACK ONTO US AS IF WE HAVE THE DEEPER POCKETS!  I have had 2 very long conversations with Managed payment reps at ebay and they both claim ebay as a "victim" in this too. PEOPLE! Ebay CHOSE to kick Paypal to the side and become their own payment processor!!  Us sellers are the ONLY VICTIMS!!   The buyer community is already figuring this out and taking advantage of it!!!  And since ebay is passing the buck onto the sellers and feeling no pain, they have NO REASON TO FIX THIS!!!  I am now looking into selling on FB Marketplace and saving the 10% Final value fee and the 2.5% credit card processing fee (that also goes to ebay)!!!  Facebook Marketplace is already creating a more "ebay like" environment and is free!  And since we no longer have Seller and CC payment dispute protection on ebay, WHY PAY FOR IT!!!  PLEASE SHARE WITH OTHER SELLERS!!

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

eBay has no legal right to ask for a sellers social security number. It is just another example of our rights being violated and "unwarranted control" being forced upon law abiding citizens of the United Corporation of America. Shame on eBay!!!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

-------------
Posting ID
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

legacies_estate_sales - The exact same thing would have happened if you had been paid through Paypal.  You need to go after the buyer by charging him with fraud through his home town police, and also mail fraud and internet fraud. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply