cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Refuses To Reverse Refund After Buyer Received Items

I sold a set of books on September 14th ( Item 363105335813).  I shipped them the next day on September 15th (USPS tracking number 9449008205497304476902).  En route to Hawaii, the tracking showed the books sitting in Richmond, CA for weeks.  The Buyer requested a refund, which eBay granted on October 9th.  On October 15th, the tracking showed that the books were delivered. 

I appealed eBay's refund decision (which is allowed within 30 days of the original decision) indicating that the books had been delivered.  They stated that because I failed to ship the books on time, they are refusing to reverse their decision on the refund.  Then, the customer services rep goes on ad nauseum giving me "tips" on how I can be certain to get the books off to the shipper on time in the future.  Huh?  I shipped the books in less than 24 hours?!  I immediately replied and pointed out that they were wrong and that I DID ship the books within one day.  Ebay stated that I am only allowed one opportunity to appeal so they cannot reconsider.  I responded, "Even when eBay's decision is based on incorrect information?"  I have not heard back from them.

What kind of bozos do they have working at this company?  They base their appeal on incorrect information which is as plain as day when you compare the sale date and tracking number.  And when I point this out to eBay, their reply is essentially, "You cannot point out our mistake."  Really?  Are they that arrogant?  Furthermore, it does not take a brain scientist to know what the correct outcome should be in this case.  The buyer clearly has the books yet hasn't paid a dime.   Meanwhile, I am out the money I paid for the books, the purchase price and the cost of shipping, which was free.  It is amazing what acts of contortion that eBay will go through to protect the Buyer.

And, for those who may be wondering (or not), I have reached out to the Buyer.  He refuses to resend payment.  He does not think he should pay for the books because I did not send him a refund voluntarily and forced eBay to make the decision.  Wait, what?  It took me a moment, but I finally figured out what he was trying to say, which was,  "Ha ha ha ha!  Sucker!  You are screwed.  I have the books, I'm in Hawaii and you are not!  There is nothing you can do.  Score!"  I'm hoping karma does its thing and a volcano destroys one of his cars...or just the books.

Sincerely,

One Royally **bleep** eBay Seller.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Ebay Refuses To Reverse Refund After Buyer Received Items

I am struggling with the same thing, eBay refunded customer for an item shipped next day with tracking & confirmation.  Delayed by PO, delivered to customer after refund.  I filed an appeal, eBay has "reversed their decision" and no seller hits, but also NO REFUND to me.  Customer now has refund plus item.  Sellers beware!  We have no protection!  The rep on the phone said I would be receiving my money back, the email received says I will be getting "0" dollars back.  

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

LOL.  That would be a great excuse to go to Hawaii...however the cost effectiveness to collect a debt under $100 would be pretty low.

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

That would all make sense if eBay did not offer the ability to "appeal" their decision to refund.  The ability to appeal implies that eBay was open to reverse the refund and take the money back from the Buyer under certain circumstances.  There is no other reasonable explanation for offering an appeal in this scenario.

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

It sounds identical...I feel your pain.  It is extremely frustrating to know you are right, and they are wrong, and that the Buyer is a crook, yet there is nothing you can do.  Errrrrrr!

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

@fixitcouple wrote:

Since you didn't respond to the open case with the tracking #, eBay refunded the buyer. The appeal case looked at the case, and noticed no tracking number entered and gave you the "tips."  The reality is that this falls onto you. If you HAD entered the tracking number for the case in the beginning, eBay would have immediately told the buyer to wait because there has been USPS shipping delays for months now.

Consider this to be a small cost for the lesson learned.

This is not always true, last month I had a late shipment (sent ontime, held up with USPS).  I entered tracking number into the case while it was open and the next day the item's tracking showed it had been delivered.   eBay refunded the buyer stating that I did not upload tracking information.   

Then of course I called eBay and the CS rep was able to see that I in fact did upload the tracking details before (2 days before) the case was escalated by the buyer.   The buyer left a negative feedback & got a full refund, I got a ding on my on my seller account. 

eBay refunded me through PayPal for the item, removed the feedback and the ding from my account.  It all depends on how you present your appeal case.  I would only speak to a live rep on the phone and if they don't get what I am saying then I would request another rep.  Do not allow the rep to submit your appeal without them reading it back to you!

In my sitution, the buyer kept the product and didn't have to pay for it, but when it was all said and done, I wasn't out anything but time and stress.

Message 20 of 52
latest reply

once I sent a copy of my USPS claim and case number to the buyer I got paid by the buyer forthwith.

If it works, it works!

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

Ebay Refuses To Reverse Refund After Buyer Received Items

Generally speaking, eBay cannot "reverse" refunds. I do not believe eBay has any legal agreement with buyers that allows them to "claw back" money from that buyer's account. 

So that leave eBay with one option - having to refund you out of their own pocket.

However, that seems to be something they are very reluctant to do ... because in the eBay user agreement, you agreed that you would accept their final decision in any Money Back Guaranteee case. 

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

I feel your pain..As a seller we are totally screwed..Ebay knows they got us,,,We are left holding the bag..Like we got control over the shipping process...Ebay is always going to give the customers their way..With the Covid I am not sending anything Media or truck rate..The USPS is sucking big time right now..I saw advertising on Postal Jeeps for CDL Diver Jobs...Several of them as a matter a fact...Maybe we need to quit ebay and go drive Mail Trucks,,,lol

Message 23 of 52
latest reply

What kind of bozos do they have working at this company? 

The ones that failed to get hired in at the local circuses. 

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

If you change your "handling time" in your listings buyer cannot open "did not receive" case (until after expected delivery date has past).  That is the only solution I see.

I just ordered something from China (they show handling time 3 MONTHS).  I have been waiting 2 months and tried to file "did not receive" (just to test the system).  Will not allow me to file "did not receive" (because expected delivery date DECEMBER).

I'm not sure if this is correct, but if I have let's say a 30 day handling time it doesn't mean I get 30 days for package to be in transit after label is made. Soon as label is made, ebay gives 4 or whatever days for item to be delivered.

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

I have pointed out multiple times that the delivery date eBay lists associated with postings is bogus. They have absolutely NO control over ANY of the shipping services but yet they base their INR decisions on this. They could obviously see that the items was "shipped" on time and the tracking information was in the order. I am at a loss of words for what kind of person at eBay cannot figure this out. The odds that something will arrive on time, given the delivery problems with ALL services, is probably no better than 50/50. 

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

@iamdebster wrote:

That would all make sense if eBay did not offer the ability to "appeal" their decision to refund.  The ability to appeal implies that eBay was open to reverse the refund and take the money back from the Buyer under certain circumstances.  There is no other reasonable explanation for offering an appeal in this scenario.

I'm not positive, but if Ebay has to get involved and issue the refund, I think you loose your ability to appeal the case.

Have a great day
Message 27 of 52
latest reply

Not sure you are going to get a whole lot of buyers when you have an extended handling time especially for people that are doing early Christmas shopping. It is not so much the handling time as it is eBay's assuming the role of the shipper in the process and professing that if it is not "delivered" by the specified date you can open an INR the next day and the buyer is guaranteed they will get their money back and more than likely be able to keep the item when it does arrive. This forum is full of postings just like this. 

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

You may want to file an Internet Crime Complaint with the FBI. Against whom I cannot tell you which way to go. The buyer was complicit in the action but was it not eBay that actually stole your money and your item??

https://www.ic3.gov 

Message 29 of 52
latest reply

Depending on the loss, you have the buyers name and address information. Look hard enough around the internet and you will find "specialized" collection services that will get your money back. 

Message 30 of 52
latest reply