cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Highway Robbery Fees

In the past month I have purchased and sold a total of $8,162.16 in Computer Graphics Cards. Of that Ebay has taken $1020.27 in FVF or roughly 12.5%. Outrageous Selling and Buying Fees, mind you on our Used goods.

This is Excessive but that's not why I am here today. I am here because I recently had a graphics card up for sale on ebay and it had one bidder. The bid was 600 usd. After the bidder placed his bid i looked at what i was selling and noticed a scratch on the pcb of the graphics card. Thinking to myself oh boy I can't sell this item to him because it was damaged i quickly ended the auction. It had many days left on the clock.

Come to find out a couple days later I get a charge on my ebay account for 75.30. Ebay charged me a FVF on an unsold item. There is no contract between me and the buyer, no money exchanged, no goods shipped or received. How are they able to get away with this ? This is not where I was raised. This Country has gone to the fleas and ticks of the world!

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Ebay Highway Robbery Fees

@nh_sales_lv wrote:

These are sensitive electronic parts and it wouldn't seem right to ship out anything like that. It would be Fraudulent. No harm, No Foul. Listing was cancelled, I'm keeping the item, and the Buyer can pick from 1000's of other listings. Ebay refunded me the FVF. It's All's Good

Also, the bidder met my Reserve Price, I would have happily sold my item at Bid Price. It was set very high, that's wasn't the problem/ Just cant let a damaged Item go out in Like New Condition.

Has meltdown over fees, but uses a reserve. Priceless.

Message 46 of 114
latest reply

I bought an item from a Seller on October 1, 2021 and he cancelled on me just because he misrepresented the item as the wrong item, different model name same product.

If a seller cancels there is usually a Reason Why. The bidder on my auction never gave me a single dime so he lost out on nothing.

When i bought my item i paid the seller in full and my money was tied up for a week.

I essentially got penalized for a buyer that lost nothing !

Message 47 of 114
latest reply

Read my last post, the other side lost Nothing !

Message 48 of 114
latest reply

Just because the OWNER of the Ebay site eats Gold encrusted prawn eyeballs and drinks Adrenochrome doesn't give him the right to charge a FVF especially when it was NEVER SOLD & IN MY POSSESSION.

Message 49 of 114
latest reply

It's figured that you sold outside ebay because

A.) you had bids

B.) you cancelled listing

There is nothing to say you DIDN'T take it outside ebay. 

So, the system exists.

Best to get over it; just list items as 'Buy It Now' since over 80% of items are sold that way, anyway. 

Message 50 of 114
latest reply

I AM IN POSSESSION OF SAID ITEM !!! IT NEVER LEFT MY HOME, I HAVEN'T EVEN GIFTED IT TO MY RELATIVES OR NEIGHBORS. IT'S HERE WITH ME IN MY OFFICE ON THE WOODEN TABLE.

Message 51 of 114
latest reply

Your case is not as extreme as some.

Back a while eBay was assessing those fvf's  on listings even when they had no bids when they got cancelled after just getting  a message from another eBay member about the listing.

Message 52 of 114
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

It's figured that you sold outside ebay because

A.) you had bids

B.) you cancelled listing

There is nothing to say you DIDN'T take it outside ebay. 

So, the system exists.

Best to get over it; just list items as 'Buy It Now' since over 80% of items are sold that way, anyway. 

Oh...Is that why eBay does this...

Thought never even occurred to me but I would not be surprised.  People have been trying to circumvent eBay fees since the days of yore...

...probably started with the 99 cent item with the $100.00 shipping when shipping costs was not part of the FVF.

A few ruin it for the many...aren't humans just AWESOME???

hurryagain_0-1616968071069.png

Message 53 of 114
latest reply

Things could have turned out much worse for me. I could have shipped out my item and the seller would have been pizzed, struck a claim and shipped me back a dead fish in a box. I'm happy for the way this turned out. The buyer lost his time looking at my pictures on ebay, I kept my damaged Item, and Ebay had a good heart and refunded me the Full FVF.

Message 54 of 114
latest reply

@nh_sales_lv wrote:

Read my last post, the other side lost Nothing !

Yes, the bidder did. They lost an item they might otherwise have won if you hadn't canceled the auction.

Message 55 of 114
latest reply

A damaged item that was described as "New Condition" Down this rabbit hole again we go.

Message 56 of 114
latest reply

I’ve been an Ebay member since 1997. I had a few minor issues, but they always worked out. Since ebay changed their seller payment policies, I stopped selling. Ebay turned into a **bleep** hole in the early 2000’s but fixed the issues. It has become a **bleep** hole again.

Message 57 of 114
latest reply

@nh_sales_lv wrote:

A damaged item that was described as "New Condition" Down this rabbit hole again we go.

The buyer should have been given the choice of whether they wanted the item with the "scratch" you claim it had. That SHOULDN'T have been your decision to make! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 58 of 114
latest reply

@nh_sales_lv wrote:

Because YOU failed to do your due diligence and make sure that the item was actually in the condition you said it was before you listed it.

Message 59 of 114
latest reply

The Auction had a few days left, if it was in the 24 hour or less time frame i would have informed the potential buyer of said defect. More than a couple days left in the Auction, & i'm not even going to bother with you. I'm not your Nanny Seller.

Message 60 of 114
latest reply