cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

Message 1 of 258
latest reply
257 REPLIES 257

Re: Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

My sales down 37% since last 30 days have no reson why?

Message 136 of 258
latest reply

One thing that might help, is a harsh snowy winter. I notice sales usually tick up, as the thermometer drops down. Theres simply less to do outside, so people use the internet more. I can use last year as an example. Last December was very rough in many areas up north. My sales were INCREDIBLE. Best December i had in years in fact. 

Message 137 of 258
latest reply

Everytime ebay changes something, sales drop big time.  They need to leave well enough alone.  They change things on a weekly basis.  Thinking whoever makes these changes weekly is bi-polar.   I have 7 family members who sell on ebay.   I also think they rotate stores.  I have searched for my items many of times and they do not show up on the site and then 3 days later, there they are.   Also, big time lack of advertising.   All you hear on TV is Amazon.  You would think ebay would put more money into advertising and quit spending so much time on making changes to the site on a weekly basis.  

Message 138 of 258
latest reply

I try not to be negative but there are some facts that cannot be ignored. There are way to many changes happening at the same time which there have been many blunderous ones. Its as if they want to be at the bottom of a mountain and be able to just reach to the top without climbing. I will say they do not do due dilligence in researching changes they make before implimentation. It is obvious shareholders have the same opinion and stock prices reflect that.

Seller metrics - Item Not As Described...

While the idea behind it makes good sense it was thrown together to quickly without enough proper data. Item not As Described. Ok so they just implimented seller pays returns..before this even catches on in the minset of buyers right away they set up seller metrics. The result is the buyer has a mindset that if they do not sellect Item Not As Described they will be paying for the return. So to combat this situation Ebay ignores it and makes it a nightmare to get this removed from your metrics even when it is clear as day what the buyer is saying is not true. Shame on ebay for handling this the way they do.

Seller Metrics - Shipping Tracking upload and postal scan upload....

When printing a label tracking is uploaded then when the item gets to the post office item is scanned and uploaded as item has reached the carrier. Sometimes its uploaded the day you drop it off sometimes not. If there is a problem it affects your metrics yet you did nothing wrong. Again another nightmare to try and fix. After a phone call to USPS headquarters I find out that there is a policy in which the post office has 72 hours to scan and upload. I have this conversation documented. This obviously conflics with ebay policy and sellers are to take the brunt of this nonesense. Who impliments these things without considering all facts or proper reserch and data before implimentation. A big rush to blunders.

The 14 day sales blunder...

While some may believe they reversed this policy because to many people complained and they listened. Believe that if you want, but nobody reverses something in business because its not working for you. This was a major disruption and again not proprly researched with some good data before implimenting. Another big rushed blunder.

The Missing Photo Phenomenon....

What a HUGE inconvenience and blunder. Like how many listings still affected by this are they collecting monthly insertion fees on that will never sell because of that? And when you call and complain don't expect credit of even an appology. Unbelievable. How does a company that big impliment something affecting listings in which they rewrite code that breaks the link permanently to listings photos . No back up, no research, no nothing just another rushed blunder.

Ebays stock is feeling the wrath and they just better get it together. If you ask me they do not need to be a giant they are who they are and they ought to focus on their roots. Greed and wanting what the Jones have has never worked.

I hope they slow down with the changes and do due dilligence to better research and development of whatever goal they are trying to obtain and possibly that goal is out of reach and a new goal needs to be set.

Dont have all your eggs in one basket that way when trouble is lurking there is back up til the trouble subsides. Good luck all. Be patient I have faith they will readjust and things will level out.

Message 139 of 258
latest reply

Yes im seeing no sales aswell, like no sales for 2 weeks, i ususally sell everyday.

Message 140 of 258
latest reply

Your pretty lucky to have had even one sale. We have not had a sale in 3 days now and we usually do 15 to 30 sales aday. Last year we did well over 300k and before that was 500k a year, this year we are lucky to do 10k and now we are lucky to make a $10 sale a day. Ebay is doing this on purpose. We spoke to ebay reps now for months and finally one rep from vero got on the phone because we had mentioned people on amazon were stealing our name and listings but they could not do anything about that but she tried to see why it was we were not selling anything and this is her words exactly to us "I can only tell you a little bit because most is confidential but ebay is now flagging people's accounts if you have either too many dropship items or if they feel your not the kind of seller that they want" She continued to say that "Ebay will not let the seller know this and will just keep your items from being seen by buyers" I said to her well when i search for my own items i see them  and she said "It is set that way so that even if you see them the buyer does not. Thsi came from a high value ebay rep and a high rep from vero. The rep from veru said she was the only one that could see the flag on our account but regular reps even high value reps cannot see them so that is why when yoyu talk to the average rep they cannot figure out why a person is not selling. Luckily we have the vero rep recorded and are now going to take ebay to court. What they are doing is no different than what twitter and facebook did that was called shadow banning. AND that which is written here is 100% true from ebay reps that do not like what is going on who sere also sellers themselves. A few of them are honest but 99% are not. It is time to take ebay to task for destroying peoples business's

Message 141 of 258
latest reply

I'm a Ebay seller for over 18 years and I can tell you what I think is the issue with sale dropping. Ebay has setup a newer formula for the search engines and it is on best matched prices. So if your item at $12.00 and when searched the item comes up by other sellers $7.00 to $8.00. Your item is pushed lower on the search maybe 25 pages before anyone will be able to see your listing.

This change was to drive more sales to sellers that sell items at low prices, maybe even without a profit, it could be  that sellers are experiencing a panic attack issue about unsold items on a regular basis and trying and make some kind of money back. I believe its becoming a huge price war, and also causing some of the sellers to quit selling on Ebay and trying other avenues.

My sales have been effected since May, it wasn't as bad because Ebay has just changed the terms of service. I had seen the sales drop dramactically. I am at the point that I do not even get a sales for almost 2 days, when I get a sales it just about two of my cheaper items. Selling two items within a day is not unheard of but its not helping me gain any ground for the up coming busy months such as November and December.

This slow period which started in May and still the same with a few spikes of 8 to 10 sales here and there during that period has done its damage already and could cause me to close for good.

Message 142 of 258
latest reply

@delawareoutdoordecor wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

I have to agree. It's been an average month for me, but I was expecting 2nd half of October to significantly increase like years prior. 

Message 143 of 258
latest reply

I am having the same problem -very few to no sales compared to past. Just curious, did the rep say "just what kind of seller" ebay wants or looking for?
Message 144 of 258
latest reply

@delawareoutdoordecor

While crunching data using "completed items", number of items listed, numbers of items sold and finding the mean price of specific sneaker models over the last week I noticed something I can't yet explain, thanks to a lack of true eBay insights/data and access to buyers to interview.

Around October 1st, 2018 an extensive amount of models across many sneaker brands simply stopped selling. Extremly high sell throughs and daily sales for sellers up until the end of September and then nothing. If one didn't know better, it was almost as if there was a switch to eBay and someone turned it down to a trickle. Going to read through some of these comments to see if anyone has any insights but it looks like it's widespread across the platform categories, not just in shoes.

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 145 of 258
latest reply

You must have lower prices then the competitive sellers and you will come up closer on the search, Top Rated Plus used to help as a function of success, but now its not the same its lower price search and free ship and sales on already lowered price items that is going to get your items to show up on the  best match.

I have already been on the phone with a rep not even two hours about, she was very kind and seemed to be very helpful, its the 5th time I called about the same problem and I get all kinda of answers.

I don't know what to believe, but I do know you might have to take a hit on your profit or a lose on some of your older items that sat for longer then  4 to six months, so to make yourself known to the new search. Thats what Ebay wants your profit.

Message 146 of 258
latest reply

That works for me as well, listing 1 to 3 items a day.If I don't views and sales drop.

Message 147 of 258
latest reply

if anyone wants to give me some items numbers i would be more then happy to see if they show up for me as a buyer as long as you can return the favor

Message 148 of 258
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not had a sale in over 2 weeks.. About 3 -5 months back my sales just started dropping I was getting about 30 or so sales a month Not bad for me I am not a store..

I was a power seller for years( not even trying) I have for the last 3-5 month only had 5-6 sales a month.. thats it around 60 dollars.... My Views have dropped  . I lost my Power seller. Yet I have over 150 items for sale now . I was only listing around 60 or so back then..I have tryed updating all my listing adding a few each day... Nothing is working .

I listed a few of my items on my Husbands Ebay and sold 2 this month.. He is a power seller Diecast cars He only list about 10 a month....... even his sales are down..( he has followers and repeat buyers. I did not Change But Ebay has...... I do alot of shopping on here, And I can tell you I have a hard time finding things....  I have been selling on this id for about 9 years been on Ebay about 15 years.... This is the worst I have ever  done ....

Message 149 of 258
latest reply

i believe ebay has started to manipulate the market. i looked up art gallery ad just now, best match, and the first  6 pages are taken over by ONE seller. some sponsored make it in, my ads ? half way down page 6 and only 2 of them. if that isn't market manipulation i don't know what is. sales are down by 50% and my feeling is that if you don't jump on the band wagon with the price point ebay wants, with the fast free delivery, you might as well shut down now.  

Message 150 of 258
latest reply