cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need a sellers permit/Resale certificate to sell used clothing

I am NOT selling clothing as new. I never will buy from retail stores like JCP Penny and sell their products.

Now, I do sell clothing from Goodwill. I only sell goods from this vendor. My fist question is:

Is Goodwill considered a wholeseller?

Please, if you know, also state weather or not you need a sellers certificate and resale certificate to sell used clothing on eBay.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Not that we are aware off.  You have to be careful listing brand names.  Make sure they are genuine.  We have noticed that a lot of sellers will list something they think is real and get in trouble for it not.  But that goes with anything.  Best regards

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Yes you do.  It doesn't matter what you are selling or from where you get it.  the only thing that matters is that you are buying it and re-selling it at (hopefully) a profit.  You need a state resale permit and you need to collect sales tax from your in-state buyers if your state taxes clothing (new or used is irrelevant).  You may also need local permits, depending on your local laws. 

You will also need to declare your income and your expenses on your federal and state income tax.  That is entirely separate from the state sales tax requirements.

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The answer above mine is totally wrong and completely irrelevant to your question. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

One of the mail purposes in a resell permit is so you can buy without paying taxes on what you buy to resell.  Honestly I don’t think many thrift stores would be willing to sell to you if you tried to use one. 

You do need to report profits to the irs   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

What do you use to authenticate clothing?
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

It would be best to find your local laws.  Some areas don’t require it for online business but only for local store fronts   

But having to report profits always needs reported 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@freshgear4less wrote:

Please, if you know, also state weather or not you need a sellers certificate and resale certificate to sell used clothing on eBay.

If you are talking about a resale certificate that exempts you from paying sales tax when you buy items for resale, that would have absolutely nothing to do with your selling activity on eBay. 

If you are talking about a business license or registering as a business with your state, that would be something else entirely. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

We have only sold very little clothing.  The clothing market on ebay is very competitive.  Do a lot of research and dont be afraid to come to the boards to ask questions.  There are a lot of clothing experts that help people here all the time.   China has been putting out a lot of fakes latley we talking millions of fake brand names that good stand up sellers are getting in trouble for.  Reaserch,reaserch,and more research. Then if your still not sure come to the boards. Then do more reaserch.  Best reagrds

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

As others have noted, the only reason to have a resellers permit is to avoid paying local sales tax.  Many small retail stores will not accept these as the cost and time of reporting a tax exempt sale or two every month is not worth the effort.  In my old brick and mortar store we simply gave those with resale certificates or who were tax exempt a discount.  Some complained and then I would assume the mantle of my namesake on Yelp, Mr. Rude, and kick them out of the store.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Goodwill is not a wholesaler.  They sell to the general public. They don't have tiered pricing.

You do not have to have any certifications to sell on eBay.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Eeyup.  We actually have a law on the books that somewhat addresses this, and has been active since 15-DEC 1791 (so this applies to U.S. residents; citizens of other countries need to refer to their own laws.)

The law specifically states that:   The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

That means that if the Constitution does not specifically prohibit an activity and there are no laws on the books for your state concerning said activity; then you do not need to get anyone's permission to do it.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

"active since 15-DEC 1791..."

Oh that law. I must have overlooked that one. Thanks for reminding us all.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@duggmills wrote:

"active since 15-DEC 1791..."

Oh that law. I must have overlooked that one. Thanks for reminding us all.

Yep.  It is a pretty major one, considering the document it is enshrined in is the supreme law of the land.  😄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Here's a recent thread that may have some helpful answers to your questions:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-Re-seller-Confused-About-Florida-Sales-Taxes/m-p/28641878

Message 15 of 19
latest reply