cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free returns does not help

When you sell anything expensive and you are target by a thief or destructive customer. One of two things will happen if you offer free returns and if you don't one thing will happen.

For those who don't offer free returns the buyer automatically gets their money back as ebay will rule in their favor. If you offer free returns say you sold a $1500 laptop the buyer said item not as described and sends you back a rock instead. You have two options give the buyer $1500 for his rock or you can give him as low as $750 for it. Ebay show you another option when you are issuing the refund called "issue with the buyer" don't even click it because it's like flipping a rigged coin heads the buyer wins tails you loose. You click it and it says "buyer returns wrong item or empty box" but after speaking with two reps and a supervisor I was informed that Ebay will automatically decide the case in the buyers favor. SO why put that option there if the seller return wrong item or empty box if it will never help the seller?

But I have video evidence of me opening the package of what the buyer sent me and the photo of what he posted that he received showing two different items. Sorry ebay don't accept video evidence. But I can file a police report with that video evidence showing male fraud because I had to do it twice as buyer and ebay was the one who sent me to get them which I did and got my money back. The supervisor actually told me that in this case a police or incident report is not applicable because I am the seller and not the buyer.

Guys don't sell anything on here that you cannot afford to loose you because the only option you will have is to pay the the buyer to keep your item

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Thank you for sharing your story. I have set a limit of $200 value for items I sell - I can't afford a hit like that.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes ebay will take the money from your account I will only stick to cheaper items I think I will even stop selling phones on here too. And just do nothing above $20

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@theseeker_jamrock wrote:

Guys don't sell anything on here that you cannot afford to lose 

That is the same advice given by many of us for the last decade or more. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

True and so very very sad.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Let's face it... Some [pricey] items sold on eBay just seem to bring out the bottom feeders. For some reason, the genre of items that I sell on eBay has, throughout my tenure, seemed to insulate me from this horror. And I have sold some expensive car restoration, parts over the years. My buyers have been 99.9% excellent buyers.  A frequent eBay boards poster has a mantra, that is so true..."If you can't afford to lose it, don't sell it". On a casual observation, it would seem that there is a difference between items people actually need, and items people just want. That is to say that someone selling a $8,000 kidney dialysis machine is less likely to be scmmned than one selling a $8,000 diamond ring.  There is also a lot of brokering of stolen eBay items. It's much easier to resell a diamond ring than it is a dialysis machine.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

With all due respect, a mantra for many of us is: "If you can't afford to lose it, and/or pay the buyer to keep it, don't sell it".

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes ebay will take the money from your account I will only stick to cheaper items I think I will even stop selling phones on here too. And just do nothing above $20

I just began a thread on  this  topic this morning  . My husband purchased a cell phone last week from a seller  with only one other transaction under their belt  . What arrived yesterday from that seller  was a 8 by 10 bubble mailer torn open and totally empty . The post office had placed this empty  bag in a clear one and delivered it like normal . He's been in contact with the seller and e bay  for a resolution . However I'm a bit curious why the seller  didn't ship the phone in a box  with a better secured   wrapping  . Tulips 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If this was to happen to me I would not only contact the police but also the postal inspector

i would follow through on everything

i would also get advice from my lawyer

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I just began a thread on  this  topic this morning  . My husband purchased a cell phone last week from a seller  with only one other transaction under their belt  . What arrived yesterday from that seller  was a 8 by 10 bubble mailer torn open and totally empty . The post office had placed this empty  bag in a clear one and delivered it like normal . He's been in contact with the seller and e bay  for a resolution . However I'm a bit curious why the seller  didn't ship the phone in a box  with a better secured   wrapping  . Tulips 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

File a police report and Internet Fraud case, let Ebay  and the buyer know you are doing so and will be pursuing all legal remedies.  I have had to do that and always ended up getting the $ or my ACTUAL item back. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I would be sure to file with the Postal Inspectors, too.  They take a very dim view of Mail Fraud.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Guys don't sell anything on here that you cannot afford to loose you because the only option you will have is to pay the the buyer to keep your item.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

..."If you can't afford to lose it, don't sell it". On a casual observation, it would seem that there is a difference between items people actually need, and items people just want.

True, things that appeal to people's vanity will cause the most problems.

Smart phones, jewelry, hand bags,  the list is long.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

What I've noticed from the beginning is that there is a big difference in experience from those selling collectibles vs those who sell what I'll call "consumer goods".   I've never had an issue selling collector's stamps, old postcards, antique car memorabilia or parts.  The buyers in these areas see the sellers as fellow collectors and there was camaraderie,  especially before eBay totally hid everyone's contact information.  

Buyers and sellers in the collectibles area have special deep knowledge in the subject matter, so they are less likely to wish to tarnish their standing in their collectors community.  And if you have a passion in an area, you are more than likely honest.

The sellers who have issues are those selling in more expensive consumer "junk".  Things like cell phones and fancy handbags that are easily flipped. 

And the buyers in the consumer goods categories view sellers in the same light they see Walmart.  A company where the consumer is always right, and that sellers should deliver things with lightning speed and free shipping, and free returns... which they won't hesitate using.   Things like ladies clothing where someone will order three outfits with intentions of returning two.  And that all adds costs to small sellers.

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply