cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really have to pay fee's when the BUYER cancels cus they changed their mind?

I've had at least 6 buyers cancel their orders this month, and its been screwing me over hard. I've paid over $30 in fee's refunding buyers. 

So... a few questions
1- Do I really have to take THIS big of a risk eating a fee when I list something and someone changes their mind? 
2 - Why do I have to pay a fee when the buyer is the one who should be liable. 

3 - for what reasons am I required to accept a cancellation? The last buyer just said "Sorry I found a better price". Does a refund for this reason have to be honored? 
4- Does ebay care this little for their sellers? The very people who make them money? I'm honestly sick of getting screwed over by buyers and paying fees all over. And I CANT EVEN LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK on the buyer? What. 

Any advice? I'm sick of being stepped on and disrespected by buyers.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Do I really have to pay fee's when the BUYER cancels cus they changed their mind?

I'm assuming that you are not on Managed Payments, and are being paid through PayPal. One thing I've liked on MP is they do not retain the 2.9% processing fee, just $0.30 transaction fee.

I don't think there is a good answer for denying the cancellation. Most buyers know that they can get a full refund by lying and saying it was Not As Described. This way, you're still going to be out the 2.9% fee, but at least you're not out the shipping both directions. With eBay - the buyer is king. They got rid of the option for a restock fee quite a while ago, unless you are a TRS and there is a legit issue with a NAD return. And with a 9 moth old account with a 96% feedback rating, you're a long way from getting TRS status.

I know next to nothing about the type of items that you are selling - so I really don't have any good suggestions on how to avoid the after purchase cancellations.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@002bae 

Pay Pal does not refund their fee's when a buyer wants to cancel an order.

A buyer can only request to have an order canceled, but it's up to you if you want to cancel it.

When a buyer wants to cancel, even though you loose the fee's, you're better off canceling the order.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

"2 - Why do I have to pay a fee when the buyer is the one who should be liable."

Because PayPal sees YOU as their cash cow.

In Silicon Valley, when you are partners with them, that means you pick up the tab for everything.

On another site I had a customer who ordered several items then left a message saying, will

these parts work for my purpose?

I feel a refund and a gift to PayPal coming on.

Some items because of their peculiar nature can not be sold on ebay and I have to use

another selling location but I wish they would add an I.Q. test to their log in page.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

when a buyer cancels a purchase before you have shipped you can always add  .30 cents to the purchase price. However if 4 buyers have bought the item and canceled telling you they found the same item at a better price you may want to review your pricing on this item it sounds like you got some competition and need to consider adjusting your price.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

PayPal Fees yes.  eBay fees no.  As long as you are canceling and refunding the sale correctly you should automatically get your eBay fees back.  If you are not getting credited for your final value fees you need to contact eBay and ask them to manually credit you.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Ebay is rolling out Managed Payments, eventually to all sellers, so these unrefunded fees from PayPal are going to end soon, when PayPal is no longer the payment processor. But for now, it is considered a “cost of doing business” here.

In my opinion, it is much better to honor the cancellation request, than force the buyer to accept an item they don’t want and then risk them opening a Not As Described case to ensure a return/refund happens.

The penalties can be more financially painful to a seller’s account (than a cancellation) when that happens—seller pays return shipping, if eBay steps in a defect is given and seller pays unreimbursed Final Value fees. Then with enough defects, a seller can be assessed a 5% higher final value fee.

Ebay looks out for the buyer’s interest first and foremost, because without buyers, a seller’s presence is meaningless, in eBay’s estimation.

One thing—since this is a business transaction, i wouldn't consider a buyer’s behavior to be powerful enough to insult or disrespect me as a seller. It is not personal. Don’t let it get you down.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

What aboiut the 2.9 % of the sale price that Paypal also keeps??????

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

For MP sellers the .30  cents for processing the payment will not be refunded. The FVF fee will be credited back right away.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

It's really unfortunate that the seller loses the PayPal processing fees on cancellations.  I just wish that eBay would change the policy that cancellations after payment has been made were subject to the loss of processing fees as a restocking expense.  But we know that will never happen.   At least with MP I can get most of my fees back.

I would really prefer that I get the cancellation before I've printed the shipping label.    At least I can request cancellation of shipping labels if the package hasn't shipped.  Buyers can still tell any lie to get a refund which I've experienced.    I had a buyer that requested a cancellation the day after payment, but I had already shipped.   I expected that they would return after delivery, but for some reason they waited until a month after delivery to request the return and at that point I just denied it since it was a remorse return.   Depending on the reason most buyers who cancel get added to my block list.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

"because without buyers, a seller’s presence is meaningless, in eBay’s estimation."

& without sellers ebay wouldn't have buyers coming to them.

Ebays habbit of treating sellers like garbage is exactly what led Amazon to becoming what they are today. It was the sellers running from Ebay that fueled their marketplace.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@final_episode wrote:

Ebays habbit of treating sellers like garbage is exactly what led Amazon to becoming what they are today.

Ebay treats sellers like gold compared to Amazon.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Ebay treats sellers like gold compared to Amazon.

False. Amazon has smart, intelligent state side customer support if you ask for it, and they are very nice. Treated very well. Ebay customer service cannot form complete sentences let alone solve any issue requiring math or logic. If you can even get ahold of them. Not to mention, they'll straight up lie to you.

Amazon literally treats both their buyers AND their sellers better. One of the many reasons Amazon is the leader.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Just so you know because you seem like a nice person posting here, ebay is charging across the board almost 13%, so they added that processing fee to MP.  

Also, you are being charged that on any tax that buyers pay.  Paypal charged the 2.9, ebay added 10% to that, so we are paying higher fees with MP almost 13% on taxes!  For slower payments and dont ever try to call them, you will never get thru.  That is like the only thing, not being charged on cancellations.  But, surely that will change to, just like they promised not to charge the processing fee.  Remember...it will come later...it always does. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

For MP sellers the .30  cents for processing the payment will not be refunded. The FVF fee will be credited back right away.

No wonder they have been encouraging buyers from other states to buy 'for pick up only' items. Classic.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply