cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing order & message from Ebay.

Cannot contact Ebay so hope someone can help. I sold a childs book 2 weeks ago sent it and all was great. 2 days ago Ebay said I sold a book ( the same one) and to buy the label etc. Did so and sent it now I see it was the same buyer as before but when I go to the purchase history of the book record says only 1 was ever sold. I am wondering why Ebay told me to buy the label. I would not bother and just take a loss but USPS won't allow media prices on an activity book and so cost me $8.00 to send priority,    plus $11 for the actual book.  Ebay member for awhile but never seen this happen before, need to know how this happened since I would rather not go through it again.  Hope someone can help.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Confusing order & message from Ebay.

You had more then 1 of this book for sale?

Not sure why you would buy a label if it did not show another sold item of this book?

please explain

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hi, I had ten of these for sale in multiple listing. I sold one and at the time I thought I could mail it by media so I had the shipping price to reflect that. I took it to the post office and they said it had to go priority since it had small parts in it to play with on the playmat, also included inside the book. They are called "Busy Books". So I took that loss and revised the listing to Priority shipping since it is over 16oz.  The Ebay message to buy the label for the second book had the shipping at the priority price. Naturally I assumed it must be another sale because the first buyer had paid the original media mail price. No idea how that happened but would to know. The same Ebay message was sent to my email as well to say I needed to purchase the label. That was received after the first buyers book had already been shipped.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@britm8 wrote:

Hi, I had ten of these for sale in multiple listing. I sold one and at the time I thought I could mail it by media so I had the shipping price to reflect that. I took it to the post office and they said it had to go priority since it had small parts in it to play with on the playmat, also included inside the book. They are called "Busy Books". So I took that loss and revised the listing to Priority shipping since it is over 16oz.  The Ebay message to buy the label for the second book had the shipping at the priority price. Naturally I assumed it must be another sale because the first buyer had paid the original media mail price. No idea how that happened but would to know. The same Ebay message was sent to my email as well to say I needed to purchase the label. That was received after the first buyers book had already been shipped.

When you shipped the first book, did you come back home and buy a label on eBay, or did you ship it at the post office while you were there?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi, I came back from Post office and changed the shipping to priority in the listing and it was a couple of days later, AFTER I mailed the 1st book, when I received Ebay's message to say I had sold a book and to purchase the label. I realize that they may have thought I had not sent the 1st book at all because I did not buy the Ebay label I sent it with a post office label. 

However, even if that did happen, the part I don't understand is that when I purchased the 2nd label it said to send by Priority. When I saw that I automatically thought it must be a different buyer, knowing the 1st buyer had purchased theirs before I adjusted the shipping price since they only paid for media mail. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Seems to me that the easiest way to clear this up would be to message the buyer and ask  them if they'd ordered two books.

Communication is good.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes, did do that and it was just the one. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I appreciate you guys for trying. All I can say is that I will pay more attention. Unfortunately my Ebay messages are being repeated over and over sometimes advising me to purchase labels a week or two later after the sale is over and done.  Course my initial problem I  have reported here is different and more complicated than those repeat emails, I have learned to ignore those. Maybe it is just me or my listings/account I could have something set wrong.  Anyway, this is the first help I have asked for in years, I stopped asking questions ages ago because some of the replies were insulting and aggressive and, of course, upsetting. It is a refreshing experience to find that people are much more respectful to all members now and are serious about helping.  Thank you so much for your comments and your time to suggest them.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It sounds like you shipped the first book at the post office then forgot to add the tracking information to the order. As a result- eBay thinks you didn't ship it so they sent a reminder. You saw the reminder and confused it with a second order. Do you know how to navigate your orders page? Please review it carefully and let us know where you need help.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/?filter=status:ALL_ORDERS

Also- you can contact the buyer and let them know a second package was sent in error- ask them to leave it unopened and mark it "refused- return to sender" and give it back to their mail carrier. The post office will return it to you. As long as the buyer cooperates, you'll still be out the shipping- but at least you'll have the book back.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@britm8 wrote:

well...

that one's kinda sorta on you there big feller, lord knows I've made a few good ones in the years so I'm not judging or faulting, I'm not even getting a good chuckle out of it but ... I have had to learn (yes more than once) to always double and even triple check myself every order (even then sometimes something slips past the eagle eye, couldn't tell you how, it just does).

You might be able to ask your first buyer, explain to them you accidentally sent a second book, would they mind "refusing" the shipment?
Not sure how that would work out thou, but it might be worth a shot.
Pray and thank God for every day.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Tagging On:     One of the more entertaining eBAy glitches is the occasional delay receiving the sale notification from eBay.

Assuming you receive the notification at all.   

Sounds to me that a sale for a book was made to a particular buyer and the transaction was finished.     A late notification was received for that sale and the seller printed his label from the late notification.

When he looked in his sales record after the fact,    He only found one sale.    

IMO there was one sale and later (After the fact)  a very late notification from ebay.   

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@oneblindcat wrote:

Seems to me that the easiest way to clear this up would be to message the buyer and ask  them if they'd ordered two books.

The "system of record" for whether there is an order is the Orders tab in the Seller Hub. 

So it seems to me the easiest way to determine whether there was a second order would be to look at the Orders tab in the Seller Hub and see if there is a second order or not. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

What @coffeebean832 said. Sounds like you did not upload your tracking from the post office and it looked like you did not ship the item so ebay was sending you a reminder to ship it causing you to think it was a second sale. Contact your buyer and ask them to mark refused on the item when they receive it. Hopefully, you will get your book back if the buyer is honest. Otherwise, chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.  Good Luck! 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes it was there either for another or just appeared again after I mailed the childs book and record says it was sent. When i saw the 2nd sale for another same book (I had 9), I was suspicious so looked up the 1st order and it was the same customer. However the order for the 2nd book continued to show I sent another since I did not want to put my 100% seller position in jeopardy. The book cost me $8.00 each time to mail because I did not realize it was not eligible for media mail. Contacted the customer and she was very nice because she wanted one for her other grand child. We were both happy to leave it at that, although the rest of it remains an enigma. Thank you for all the help I appreciate it.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi yes did that and she is happy and that's good enough for me even though the rest is still a mystery. wish you could tell me why I have 20,500 hits on 57 listings and only 37 watchers my listings are fine if 20,500 people clicked on them.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply