cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChatGPT AI Description Generator Now Available In eBay App

You may need to update to the most recent version, but the ChatGPT powered AI description generator is now live in the Android and iOS eBay apps.

In the listing flow, tap the AI description icon in the bottom right and the new description will automatically populate.

I haven't played around with it too much, but here are a couple examples generated from very basic title info.

ebaychatgpt4.jpeg

ebaychatgpt5.jpeg

ebaychatgpt6.jpeg

ebaychatgpt7.jpeg

Anyone else tried it out yet?

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Actually, we started rolling out an update to sellers in a limited ramp which is typical of all companies today when  introducing new features.  This also coincided with a new update from the Android and iOS clients.  However, a bug in the client logic exposed the experience without the surrounding service details (button label, undo button, banner explaining the optional generative model, etc.) which created a broken user experience and confusion when found by sellers who had just download/installed the Android update.   They were not intended to see these changes at this point in time.   It was a bug.  This did not affect the iOS experience.

The unintended consequence of this bug was exposing a broken experience for a feature that we have been actively collecting feedback from our sellers.   The actual feedback has been very positive and this feature has been very effective for many sellers.   Depending on your listing category & details (title & aspects), your mileage may vary.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 42 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Distinctly unimpressed. Those descriptions are just blather, adding little to no factual content, especially nothing to help avoid Not As Described returns from buyers who might even read the description in full, but will learn nothing further about the specific item in that listing.

In addition, if all sellers of the same item are hitting up ChatGPT for their descriptions instead of actually writing the descriptions themselves, how many different descriptions is it going to generate for the same item each time? It will just be the same glop over and over, served up by every seller of the same item.

Hard pass.

Message 2 of 91
latest reply

AI output *is* mostly glop.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 91
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Distinctly unimpressed. Those descriptions are just blather, adding little to no factual content, especially nothing to help avoid Not As Described returns from buyers who might even read the description in full, but will learn nothing further about the specific item in that listing.

In addition, if all sellers of the same item are hitting up ChatGPT for their descriptions instead of actually writing the descriptions themselves, how many different descriptions is it going to generate for the same item each time? It will just be the same glop over and over, served up by every seller of the same item.

Hard pass.

@a_c_green  in general I agree, but also I did use an extremely basic/generic title. It will be interesting to see if the results are better if you include more details to begin with and/or if they improve over time.

Message 4 of 91
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:
@a_c_green  in general I agree, but also I did use an extremely basic/generic title.

True, but the problem is that so many lazy sellers use extremely basic or generic titles, also pasted into the description field with nothing else added, and having ChatGPT fill in the otherwise empty field with paragraphs of text is not improving the listing in any way. 

In addition, this idea won't scale in any useful way, because all the ChatGPT texts generated off of such similar lamebrain titles are all inevitably going to read the same. The problem is not so much that it's Garbage-In/Garbage-Out (at least ChatGPT can form grammatical sentences with correctly-spelled words, something a lot of sellers need help with), but more precisely that the same Garbage In will result in the same Garbage Out. Imagine 50 different sellers of the same LuluLemon leggings all hitting up ChatGPT. How is Description #50 going to be significantly different from Description #1, unless one seller puts in significantly more specifics than another?

Message 5 of 91
latest reply

Please note!!! You cannot undo this if you click it after you have already written your description! I didn't know what it was and clicked out of curiosity.

It rewrote my entire description based only on the title and item specifics. I lost everything: the condition description, the details about the decoration, the likely maker, which I did not put in the title or item details because it's just a guess, & more. It didn't even get the measurements right! 

Maybe this works for sneakers or electronics, but for my item the description was ludicrous!!! 

This is the text clicking this button created. I don't even know what to say about how silly it is:

Add a touch of vintage charm to your home decor with this stunning Copper Tone Patina Candelabra. Standing at 14.5 inches tall, this unbranded medium-sized piece features four arms and holds up to five candles. Made of high-quality brass and finished with a beautiful copper patina, this decorative candle holder is sure to impress your guests. Measuring 16 inches in width and 14 inches in height, it is the perfect centerpiece for any table or mantle. Ideal for anyone who appreciates classic design, this candelabra is a must-have for collectors of decorative candle holders.

Talk about using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. And now I have to remember what I wrote myself. Arghhhh.

Message 6 of 91
latest reply

Wow @gienna2  sorry that happened to you, but that's a great point and good warning for sellers!

Message 7 of 91
latest reply

@gienna2 wrote:

Please note!!! You cannot undo this if you click it after you have already written your description! I didn't know what it was and clicked out of curiosity.

I haven't tried it myself, but generally speaking, when you're editing text and something goes sideways, pressing Ctrl+Z can roll back your keystrokes (and the response they generated), one press at a time. Might be worth a try the next time that happens.

@gienna2 wrote:

This is the text clicking this button created. I don't even know what to say about how silly it is:

Add a touch of vintage charm to your home decor with this stunning Copper Tone Patina Candelabra. Standing at 14.5 inches tall, this unbranded medium-sized piece features four arms and holds up to five candles. Made of high-quality brass and finished with a beautiful copper patina, this decorative candle holder is sure to impress your guests. Measuring 16 inches in width and 14 inches in height, it is the perfect centerpiece for any table or mantle. Ideal for anyone who appreciates classic design, this candelabra is a must-have for collectors of decorative candle holders.

Talk about using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. And now I have to remember what I wrote myself. Arghhhh.

It's notable that in one paragraph it manages to give two different heights: 14.5 inches and then 14 inches.

Message 8 of 91
latest reply

Listed the actual item the other day. For chat GPT I used this as my "input" (which granted wasn't much):

"Syroco Matador Bull Wall Plaque" and I put it in category:  Collectibles>Retro>1960s

here's ChatGPT:

This vintage Syroco Matador Bull Wall Plaque is a must-have for any collector of mid-century collectibles. The intricate details of the matador and bull make it a unique and eye-catching piece that will surely make a statement on any wall.

Crafted in the 1960s, this piece is a testament to the quality and craftsmanship of that era. The time period manufactured was a time of great creativity and innovation, and this piece is a shining example of that. A perfect addition to any collection or a great conversation starter for any room.

Here's my actual description:

Ah, the brave matador and the brave bull! 

Bullfighting and Spain were popular motifs in Mid Century decor, and this 3D type hard plastic wall plaque is a prime example. This large plaque measures about 35" long, about 22" tall, and about 2" deep at its deepest. Marked on the back copyright 1968 Dart Ind (I've also seen these marked Syroco...I think the names were used almost interchangeably), Made in USA, 7126 (the model number).  Two attached metal hangers on back to hang on wall.

Condition: Alas, NOT perfect: This is in great condition with one exception: Somewhere along the line, our fearless matador lost the tip end of his right shoe, which should be projecting out from the red cape, but has somehow been broken off. (see 4 close-ups, from different angles). Price reflects condition.

One interesting note: ChatGPT pulled the 1960s reference from the Category I chose....it's not in the few details I provided. So I wonder if ChatGPT will also be pulling from Item Specifics? (I didn't fill any out for this test)

Hopefully ebay will provide us with more insights for this tool soon.

Message 9 of 91
latest reply

Maybe they are good for sellers who can't compose a description better than "good condition, see pics".

These AI generated descriptions make an excellent base that you can edit to fit your own style if you wish.

If you enter info for ChatGPT to create a description you will get different responses even if you change one or two words in the instructions for ChatGPT you will get output that can be radically different.

I've been doing a little testing (not for eBay use), it's actually quite amazing results even on very obscure topics. I might be able to do better if I spend half an hour composing my own rather than 30 seconds asking and another minute editing.

Have you ever actual experimented with ChatGPT?

Message 10 of 91
latest reply

ChatGPT is ONLY using online information from BEFORE September 2021. I doubt they are utilizing any of the eBay Items Specifics.

Message 11 of 91
latest reply

@slippinjimmy  I may be wrong, but I think this is ebay's in house version of ChatGPT, and @gienna2  seems to be saying it pulled from her IS in her test. I'll try again later when I have more time. 

Message 12 of 91
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@slippinjimmy  I may be wrong, but I think this is ebay's in house version of ChatGPT, and @gienna2  seems to be saying it pulled from her IS in her test. I'll try again later when I have more time. 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  this is not an eBay in house tool as far as I know. ChatGPT has a paid pro version with plug ins and more toys for the developers, some of which allow it to connect to web and draw on current Bing searches for info.

eBay's devs may have done some amount of customizing to make it fit within their app, but the bulk of what is being done here I would bet is not from eBay.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/23/openai-connects-chatgpt-to-the-internet/ 

Easily the most intriguing plugin is OpenAI’s first-party web-browsing plugin, which allows ChatGPT to draw data from around the web to answer the various questions posed to it. (Previously, ChatGPT’s knowledge was limited to dates, events and people prior to around September 2021.) The plugin retrieves content from the web using the Bing search API and shows any websites it visited in crafting an answer, citing its sources in ChatGPT’s responses.

Message 13 of 91
latest reply

Right?? I use chat GPT for lots of things and know all AI text needs tweaking, but this is unusable. Also, 100% good tip on CTL-Z but I was on mobile. 😕

Another tip for others is to write in notepad (no formatting & available on phone) and copy and paste so you have a backup. I do this 99% of the time. 

Eh, my second attempt was probably better & more succinct anyway ...

Message 14 of 91
latest reply

Thanks @valueaddedresource for confirming that data after September 2021 IS used (but only for the Pro version).

I of course have only used the free version, when I have received an answer and then asked for updated information from 2022/23 the bot always apologizes and says that they do not have access to that data.

It's pretty common situation for free users of any type of App that only paid for accounts get all the bells and whistles while the leeches get a "crippled" version.

Message 15 of 91
latest reply