cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Buyer Blocks

Heads up to sellers: there have been some changes to how buyer blocks work.

On the Buyer Management page, sellers can add buyer IDs to their Blocked Buyer List. There's a setting on that page called "don't allow blocked buyers to contact me."

In the past, that setting affected both buyers blocked by the BBL and buyers blocked by buyer requirements (location, UPI strikes, etc).

eBay made a change. That setting now applies exclusively to buyers blocked by buyer requirements.

When the 'don't allow blocked buyers to contact me' setting is disabled, it no longer applies to people on your BBL.

If a buyer is on your BBL they are blocked from messaging you, even when there's a recent transaction.

blockedbuyer-2023change.png

Sellers that choose to allow communications when buyers are blocked are now out of luck when they want to protect their accounts from future purchases while simultaneously communicating with a buyer to work out any issues.

There is another block function which is through eBay messages. When this first rolled out we were told 'block this member' blocked only messages and did not add a buyer to your BBL. Using that function does add a buyer to your BBL as confirmed today by Kyle from the Community Team.

reportmessage.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Changes to Buyer Blocks

Adding more info thanks to @exoticatropicals who confirmed:

When a seller messages a buyer on their BBL, the messages do go through to the buyer. When the buyer replies to the seller, on the buyer's end it looks like the messages go through, but the seller will never see those messages.

When a buyer initiates messaging to the seller it again looks like the messages go through from the buyer's side, but the seller will never see those messages. The blocked message appears only if the buyer attempts to purchase an item from the seller.

I'm not a fan of this change. I think the seller should control whether or not they want messages from people on their Best Buddy List to come through for a long list of reasons.

The fact that people on your BBL are blocked from messaging you, regardless of your preferences, and to the buyer it looks like the messages are going through - that's even worse. If buyer and seller are trying to work out an issue, buyer will think seller is intentionally ignoring their messages. Seller may want that buyer blocked to prevent purchases, while still maintaining communication about a recent transaction.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

That is... come on ebay! Are they just churning out changes without paying attention? lol

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@wastingtime101 wrote:

When a buyer initiates messaging to the seller it again looks like the messages go through from the buyer's side, but the seller will never see those messages. The blocked message appears only if the buyer attempts to purchase an item from the seller.

I worded that poorly. It implies blocked messages will find their way to a seller if buyer tries to make a purchase which is definitely not what I intended to say. Change to:

The error message banner that lets a buyer know they're blocked appears only if the buyer attempts to purchase an item from the seller. The banner does not appear if the blocked buyer sends a message to the seller.

GLORIOUS!

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@wastingtime101 

Thank you very much for researching this. 

Your explanation is clear when I read it carefully, but then the whole block-this-buyer-and-what-about-messages scenario makes my head spin. Three possible ways to block.  Who can see whose messages (or not). Who will know (or not) if their messages are actually getting through.  Argh!

I wish...eBay would, produce for easy reference,  some type of if-then flow or FAQ that would cover every possible situation.

I wish...but it won't happen because eBay didn't bother to even announce this change.  I'll just hope I never have to get entangled in all this.

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

Okay. So correct me if I’m wrong, this essentially means that a buyer on your BBL list can never ask to be removed from your list huh, or even ask why they are BBLed.

Well actually, they CAN ask since eBay won’t tell them that their message basically went immediately into the garbage huh. They just won’t know that they weren’t heard.

What happens if that “DABBTCM” option is enabled? Do the BBR (blocked buyer requirements) buyers get a notice that their message didn’t get to the seller, or are they left hanging like they are doing with the BBL buyers?

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@iamalwaysright wrote:

What happens if that “DABBTCM” option is enabled? Do the BBR (blocked buyer requirements) buyers get a notice that their message didn’t get to the seller, or are they left hanging like they are doing with the BBL buyers?

I do not know and that would be difficult to test so maybe kyle@ebay can answer.

Kyle, if the "don't allow blocked buyers to contact me" setting is enabled, and a buyer comes up against a buyer requirements block, will that buyer's message appear to go through from the buyer's end or will they be blocked from sending a message?

The only explanation shown on the buyer requirements page says those buyers will not see a contact button on the seller's Q&A page (I assume that's the ASQ function through the active listing flow that takes you to the seller's FAQ?). But that doesn't say the buyer can't find a contact button on the seller's profile / feedback  / store front page.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@wastingtime101 

Thank you for that, but what a confusing mess!   

Message 8 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Okay. So correct me if I’m wrong, this essentially means that a buyer on your BBL list can never ask to be removed from your list huh, or even ask why they are BBLed.

Well actually, they CAN ask since eBay won’t tell them that their message basically went immediately into the garbage huh. They just won’t know that they weren’t heard.

Yep, and that's pretty bad. The way BBL messages appear to go through on the buyer's end makes buyers think they are being ignored, when in reality the seller has no idea the buyer is sending a message.

I've always allowed messages from blocked buyers.

BBL:

- Sellers should always be able to block someone from making purchases while leaving the lines of communication open if there's been a recent transaction. Why make a buyer think their messages are going through and being ignored? All that does is make them angry and give them ammunition on a payment dispute.

- Blocking messages zaps the ability to provide customer service while simultaneously protecting ones account from future purchases. It zaps the ability to avoid claims and disputes if that buyer is willing to send a message and try to work things out.

- Blocking messages also means sellers won't get communications that could assist if a claim or dispute is eventually filed.

- I prefer to not block messages, even if I plan to intentionally ignore those messages. Example: Someone on my blocked list (on there for a really good reason) comes sniffing around 6 mo later asking questions. That puts me on alert they may attempt a BBL circumvention when they realize they can't purchase, so I can look out for their name, address, or city on purchases that come through the next couple weeks.

Buyer requirements:

- If someone is blocked based on location I can make a case-by-case decision if I want to ship to their country or if I want to suggest they use a freight forwarder.

- If someone is blocked for too many UPIs, I can add that buyer to my exemption list. I figure if the buyer makes the effort to contact me they're more likely to follow through. I've done this numerous times in the past and never had a payment issue with those buyers.

- If someone is blocked for buying more than my max allowed number of items in the last X days, I can evaluate the type of item they're purchasing, if they're a repeat customer, etc. Based on the risk assessment I can choose to either add them to my exemption list or ask them to wait X days before making an additional purchase. But the buyer should be able to ask.

Bottom line: if eBay is going to force the message block when someone's on my BBL, they should at the very least allow messages if there has been a recent (past 90 days) transaction.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@ittybitnot wrote:

Thank you for that, but what a confusing mess!   

It's made worse @ittybitnot because I doubt many sellers realize eBay made this change so they don't know BBL messages aren't getting through despite not checking the setting to block messages. And the buyer thinks they're being ignored which is worse than seeing an alert that their message is blocked.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

I do not know and that would be difficult to test so maybe kyle@ebay can answer.

Kyle, if the "don't allow blocked buyers to contact me" setting is enabled, and a buyer comes up against a buyer requirements block, will that buyer's message appear to go through from the buyer's end or will they be blocked from sending a message?

The only explanation shown on the buyer requirements page says those buyers will not see a contact button on the seller's Q&A page (I assume that's the ASQ function through the active listing flow that takes you to the seller's FAQ?). But that doesn't say the buyer can't find a contact button on the seller's profile / feedback  / store front page.

Hey @wastingtime101 that's a good question!  When a buyer blocked by your buyer requirements tries to contact, they are presented with the following message: 

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

Kyle,
eBay
Message 11 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

More information about buyer blocks came to light today, specifically about the exemption list. Elizabeth from eBay confirmed:

If you turn on the auto-pay setting for offers and auctions (which, by default is enabled for all sellers unless they turn it off), adding a buyer to your exemption list will not exempt them from auto-pay.

If you use automatic unpaid item settings, adding a buyer to your exemption list will not exempt them from that preset cancellation window.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

Great work @wastingtime101  but hate to say it; this 'thread' has now become very convoluted. 

Can you just 'sum it up' in 20 words... what is going on with PURPOSELY BLOCKED buyers (regarding communication)?

Then, 20 words what happens to those 'blocked' because they are non-payers? 

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Can you just 'sum it up' in 20 words... what is going on with PURPOSELY BLOCKED buyers (regarding communication)?

BBL buyer can send messages to the seller, but the messages are blocked from going through to the seller, even when there's a recent transaction. Seller has no idea and buyer thinks they're being ignored.

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Then, 20 words what happens to those 'blocked' because they are non-payers? 

Buyer requirements block them from purchasing. Seller chooses whether messages are blocked or allowed.

I'm not counting number of words. If these replies are too long, too bad. 😆

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

Changes to Buyer Blocks

@wastingtime101 

Good Job!! (I'm allergic to 'too many' words 🙂 

Funny; because I NEVER had that 'toggled' over; just to see who would message me and say 'hey! I can't buy from you, why? (but then I would just 'ignore' and NEVER respond). 

ps. I block for 3 reasons. 

a.) Giving me a RIDICULOUS hard time over 'shipping time' when ALL our listings show 5 Days Handling

b.) Leaving Neutral/Neg feedback

c.) Returning (as we build to order and all items are proven to fit stock vehicles). 

Message 15 of 54
latest reply