cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian selling on ebay.com

I'm a Canadian citizen. Ebay keeps asking me for a SSN. I have a Canadian number. Every time I try to input my information it's denied.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Come home @brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew   we have Nanaimo Bars!

nanaimo bars.jpg

You need a chequing account with a Canadian bank (although it can be in USD or in loonies).

Many sellers on both sites open a new checking account with an online bank. Tangerine (TD) and Simplii (CIBC) are both acceptable unless you are in QC.

You can use your driving license or passport as ID. You can if you want use your SIN, but eBay cannot demand it of course.

Do NOT try to use the micro-deposits. That just doesn't work because of currency exchange.

You can list on dotCOM with a dotCA registered account.

Apparently if you have a US address and bank, you can stay on dotCOM, but you need an ITIN(?) number and you have to pay US taxes. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

If you are actually living in Canada, you need to change your address - it is showing as USA so eBay will be expecting you to have the required documents for US eBayers.

@sin-n-dex  

@femmefan1946 

Is this correct ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Come home @brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew   we have Nanaimo Bars!

nanaimo bars.jpg

You need a chequing account with a Canadian bank (although it can be in USD or in loonies).

Many sellers on both sites open a new checking account with an online bank. Tangerine (TD) and Simplii (CIBC) are both acceptable unless you are in QC.

You can use your driving license or passport as ID. You can if you want use your SIN, but eBay cannot demand it of course.

Do NOT try to use the micro-deposits. That just doesn't work because of currency exchange.

You can list on dotCOM with a dotCA registered account.

Apparently if you have a US address and bank, you can stay on dotCOM, but you need an ITIN(?) number and you have to pay US taxes. 

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Never realised you were in Canada, you have been added to my tag list........... don't you feel lucky ? LOL

Thanks for clearing things up for the OP

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@downunder-61  Check the avatar.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew wrote:

I'm a Canadian citizen. Ebay keeps asking me for a SSN. I have a Canadian number. Every time I try to input my information it's denied.

You registered your account in the United States which means you're subject to IRS taxation (hence why they need your SSN).

You may be required to re-register on eBay.ca with your Canadian information.

C.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

If you are actually living in Canada, you need to change your address - it is showing as USA so eBay will be expecting you to have the required documents for US eBayers.

@sin-n-dex  

@femmefan1946 

Is this correct ?

It appears the OP registered on dot.com with a US address, which is why they're asking for US documents. The OP needs to register on eBay.ca to provide Canadian documents (and do the things reallynicestamps said in their post).

C.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@sin-n-dex 

@brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew 

@reallynicestamps 

The registration site doesn't matter and doesn't need to be changed. But their address does need to be changed to a Canadian one BEFORE they start the MP process and they need to register for MP on .ca.   .  Then they can choose to get their payouts in .ca or US dollars and can list on whichever site that they want to. 

IF they start the Managed Payments process on the .com with a US address that does cause a problem.   I'm not an expert but from what I understand they then have to start a new ID in order to register on .ca.    If they want to sign up for MP on .com they might have to get an ITIN and I don't know how those work when paying income tax.   According to tyler@ebay  the MP people are aware that  there is a problem and are working to address it but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Over the phone eBay just told me I'll need to close my account and open up a new one because my address cannot be changed from the USA to Canada.

My address has always been in the US because that's the address I used to receive goods I purchase on eBay. When I started to sell I guess they assumed I was in the USA.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I guess the difference is that other sellers that I know who registered on the .com when they started on ebay had a Canadian address, not a US one.  That's why they were able to sign up for MP on .ca.

I just reread a post about a similar situation on the .ca discussion board and it clarified the situation for me. I don't think that it will help your situation, but here is the link in case  you are interested in reading it. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Can-a-Canadian-get-an-ITIN-to-eBay/m-p/473236#M133607

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Can you efficiently use a freight forwarder like chitchat or stallion to carry your sales across the border and mail using USPS?

https://chitchats.com/en

There is one on Vancouver Island but it is nearly an hour's drive from me, so not reasonable. Check locally.

With an American address, the ability to mail from the USA via a forwarder, and a US-based bank account (TDNorth or RBCBank are subsidiaries of some sort of Canadian banks) you could be fine.

Except for the US taxes thing.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@sin-n-dex 

@brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew 

@reallynicestamps 

The registration site doesn't matter and doesn't need to be changed. But their address does need to be changed to a Canadian one BEFORE they start the MP process and they need to register for MP on .ca.   .  Then they can choose to get their payouts in .ca or US dollars and can list on whichever site that they want to. 

IF they start the Managed Payments process on the .com with a US address that does cause a problem.   I'm not an expert but from what I understand they then have to start a new ID in order to register on .ca.    If they want to sign up for MP on .com they might have to get an ITIN and I don't know how those work when paying income tax.   According to tyler@ebay  the MP people are aware that  there is a problem and are working to address it but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Thanks for the tag @pjcdn2005!

Hi @brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew - I'm sorry to hear about what's happened. If your registration address at the time you signed up to have eBay manage your payments was a US address, you would be put into the US-based payments program.

There is not currently a way to adjust or correct this other than to open a new account (on either eBay.com or eBay.ca) and make sure that your physical address in Canada is used as the registration address. That way, when you begin the process of eBay managing your payments it will place you in the proper program and go through the flow that PJ describes (choosing your preferred payout currency, etc). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Over the phone eBay just told me

The phone reps do NOT work for eBay. They are subcontractors.

Use the social media accounts :

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

As a bonus, they give you a transcript of your discussion.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Can @brightoitmakesoldbodiesnew   transfer her FB to a newly registered Canadian account?

Even if little of it is for selling, it is still a Protection against scammers and a measure of trustworthiness for buyers.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Excellent. I'll close my account in the coming days and open a new one.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply