cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain the purpose of a seller's return policy if PayPal gives buyers 6 months anyway?

I have a 30 day return policy. I just got a return request for an item I sold and delivered over 30 days ago - buyer's remorse.

First of all, would I be able to just decline the return and close the return case without penalty to my seller account?

And second, if PayPal allows buyers to request a return/refund for an item up to 6 months after a purchase, then what's the point of my own 30-day return policy I set for my store? Is there no seller protection for this kind of situation?

The item is over $400 so I'm a bit more careful with how I handle this.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Can someone explain the purpose of a seller's return policy if PayPal gives buyers 6 months anyway?

Yes, with paypal and their credit card company, they have 6 months to return..

But at least, they have to pay shipping back.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

PayPal started paying for return shipping 2+ years ago https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

So what's the point of a seller's return policy if it's so easy for buyers to bypass? 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@marzoval wrote:

So what's the point of a seller's return policy if it's so easy for buyers to bypass? 

It’s not that easy to bypass. Your return policy is for remorse returns. For not as described issues, the buyer has up to 180 days. But it will change when adyen is in and PayPal is out. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

When the returns on ebay went from 14 days to 30 days and sellers went nuts, I just shook my head.

Same with those who feel they can state no returns and that is it.

That is why I take returns for any reason because I know fighting them is useless.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

And yes buyers can easily bypass a no returns policy for remorse by lying and filing SNAD anyway.

And they can also become vindictive and destroy your item to prove their point.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@marzoval

It's really about who your customers are and what the rate of returns usually is for the items you sell. Funny enough returns for me were abused here when I did try to offer them. To the degree, I had to change all my items back after a month or two to "no returns" period. Didn't affect my sales one bit. Now I can see for others, many many others that this is simply not going to work for what they sell.

I had few problems if any on PayPal which offers a larger return window. The only difference I discerned in a comparative analysis is eBay pushes this idea of returns and "get what you want or your money back" so hard during the sales funnel and user flow that it becomes what they're known for and ingrained in the buyer's mind. Not only does PayPal not do this, it's a payment gateway, not a marketplace always saying how easy returns are.

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

would I be able to just decline the return and close the return case without penalty to my seller account?

I would never leave something like that up to chance. If I wanted to prevent the return under eBay then I would call eBay and ask them to close it on my behalf. But all that would accomplish would be to force the buyer to open a case under PayPal.

Is there no seller protection for this kind of situation?

If you are asking whether eBay's seller protection policy will somehow stop PayPal buyer protection from taking effect, the answer is no.

Can someone explain the purpose of a seller's return policy if PayPal gives buyers 6 months

Not all payments come through PayPal.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

totally agree!! I got a buyer disputing payment after almost 6 months, of course they won! because the tracking number didn't provide information anymore. this cost me $100. now I learned and I save the PDF of the Delivery confirmation every time.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@marzoval wrote:

I have a 30 day return policy. I just got a return request for an item I sold and delivered over 30 days ago - buyer's remorse.

First of all, would I be able to just decline the return and close the return case without penalty to my seller account?

And second, if PayPal allows buyers to request a return/refund for an item up to 6 months after a purchase, then what's the point of my own 30-day return policy I set for my store? Is there no seller protection for this kind of situation?

The item is over $400 so I'm a bit more careful with how I handle this.

Just a quick note.  Your policy for returns is 30 days after the item is delivered, so you will have to review that and see if it still qualifies or not?

Keep in mind Paypal is accepted at millions of stand alone websites and at major retail outlets as well, so the 180 day policy is not just for eBay transactions.  Most stand alone websites do not have money back guarantees like eBay does.

Buyers overwhelmingly use the eBay MBG resolution center versus the paypal buyer guarantee.

Paypal has also said they will take into consideration the time frame and the reason as a valuable part of there decisions, and with eBay at least they have some communications to see details better than they would a stand alone website.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply