cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer just return anything and still get refunded?

I sold a craft item, a wreath, to a customer.  In that description I carefully noted the exact dimensions of the piece.  I have an automatic return policy but the reason given by the buyer for the return was that the item was "too big."  So the return was initiated.  To my surprise, when I opened the box sent back by the buyer it was a different wreath.  A much inferior item to mine with less workmanship.  In other words, a cheap piece of junk made of ribbon and wire.  Mine was cloth and wood and other materials.  I discovered the buyer has a store selling exclusively wreaths that they make.    I filed the case with the picture of what I got and Ebay promptly ruled in the buyer's favor and issued the refund.  My question is, could anybody buy anything on Ebay, make a switch on the return, and get ruled in their favor?  What are the limitations to this?  I wanted to get my wreath back, but it's just plain been stolen.  I don't know any other way I could describe what happened except as stealing.  The buyer won't respond to messages.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Do you think the one you got is one of the one's they make and sell?  If so, you might be able to call eBay and show them pictures, to get your money back.  To me, that's too crazy to not believe your side of the story.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

They have one very similar for sale
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

You won't win. Ebay loves their buyers.  She could have sent you an old newspaper back with the same outcome. I have a purse coming back now. The reason she gave was found something else. Problem is not only the money lost on shipping but she removed the tags so I can't resell as new with tags. Ebay doesn't care, I have to refund in full anyway.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Sadly, yes...ebay is a venue with zero culpability where sellers are concerned.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@nannabooks

That stinks, but that is the way it is here.  Buyers are king and sellers are second class citizens.  Think about filing a postal fraud claim. That's not going to get your wreath back, but it might help curb the actions of the fraudster.   A lot of people don't think it will do anything, but you also have the option of filing a claim with the BBB in San Jose against you-know-who.  They don't like bad publicity.   Both of those things can be done online.

Bet that seller wanted your piece to see exactly how it was made so she can make a duplicate.  Keep an eye on her listings. You might even see your own wreath there.  😞

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Sad but true.  Sellers have received used cat litter, boxes of toaster parts, dirty socks, driveway gravel... and the list goes on.  eBay refunded every dime.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I disagree with the buyer centric part. What I see is simpler than that- eBay has found that they can purchase buyer goodwill with seller's money rather than their own... and still keep the fees.

Sellers keep letting eBay get away with it.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

By Georg, I think you've got it! 🙂 

OP.....don't let it go. Report the buyer, file the fraud, report to the BBB. Do it all. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

OP.....don't let it go. Report the buyer, file the fraud, report to the BBB. Do it all. 

And do you think this is going to make one bit of difference to the seller who still will never see a penny of his money. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Fight it to the bitter end. She is a competitor, you have a great  selling record.  Is your buyer New?

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

And do you think this is going to make one bit of difference to the seller who still will never see a penny of his money. 

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

ersatz_sobriquet wrote:
emerald40 wrote:
@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

By Georg, I think you've got it! Smiley Happy 

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

If I did I would be selling here for the holidays instead of taking a second job.

But I do know what does not work, and I can tell you from experience the BBB is useless.

Reports can be taken and maybe ebay will give you a one time courtesy refund.

So in other words there is no 100% way to protect yourself here against a scammer.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

So in other words there is no 100% way to protect yourself here against a scammer.

We already know that. 

But there's no reason to lie down and take it. 

Sellers should exercise the little bit of power and "noise" they can make trying to be heard. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@nannabooks  I read your post ... nothing a Seller can to when a dishonest Buyer does that return switch ... it comes down to your word against theirs and eBay rules in the Buyer's favor.  We've had it happen too here.  Sad but true. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 31
latest reply