cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants me to purchase gift card

I sold an item for 400$, and the seller messaged me that they’ll send me an extra 300$ to purchase a gift card and ship it with the item. I’m not sure if this a scam or what. He sent me 700$ through paypal but it’s sfill pending until I send a photo of the receipt of the gift card. This sounds suspicious, but he did send the money, and i’m not sure if he’s faking a paypal email either. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@josua9903 

It is absolutely, 100% positively a scam.

"He sent me 700$ through paypal but it’s sfill pending until I send a photo of the receipt of the gift card. "

That's not how Paypal works. If you log directly in to Paypal - not through an email, type paypal.com into a new browser window and log in - you'll see you have NOT been paid. It's a fake email.

It's all fake, it's all a scam. File an unpaid item dispute 48 hours after the sale. Close it out 96 hours later.  Add the "buyer's" ID to your blocked bidder list. https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

Do NOT respond in any way, shape or form to this scammer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@josua9903 

It is absolutely, 100% positively a scam.

"He sent me 700$ through paypal but it’s sfill pending until I send a photo of the receipt of the gift card. "

That's not how Paypal works. If you log directly in to Paypal - not through an email, type paypal.com into a new browser window and log in - you'll see you have NOT been paid. It's a fake email.

It's all fake, it's all a scam. File an unpaid item dispute 48 hours after the sale. Close it out 96 hours later.  Add the "buyer's" ID to your blocked bidder list. https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

Do NOT respond in any way, shape or form to this scammer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Yea the email he sent it from looked very suspicious

That did not look like a paypal email

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

+1,

I would even suggest calling eBay Trust & Safety this morning and get the ID on their asap.  Request the sale be cancelled by eBay.  There are doubtless others right now in the process of being scammed by the same ID. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

It's not enough to steal your item---now they also want a bonus.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

And while you're at it, could you pick up a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread? And maybe a six pack?
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I’ll stop by the super market and get some food for them gotta help these scammers stock up in the basement

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

As the others have said, it's a complete scam. There is no real payment being made here.

In addition, I don't even see a $400 item listed in your Completed Items or Sold Items. Was this an item you listed on eBay, CraigsList, or...? 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

The sale didn't necessarily take place on this id.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@josua9903 wrote:

I’ll stop by the super market and get some food for them gotta help these scammers stock up in the basement

While you’re out shopping, I really really need a diamond bracelet. When can I expect to receive it? Lol! I’m just kidding! We are so glad you didn’t fall for the scam but since you opened the email you should change your PayPal and eBay passwords just to be safe.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
The sale didn't necessarily take place on this id.

I know that, but other items are currently listed. That's why I was asking.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

how do i contact a seller and get a response
/
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

It depends on what your relationship is with the seller.  If you have made a purchase from him, there should be a link to contact him on the order details page.  There should also be a link on any listing page for items.

There is no guarantee the seller will reply.  If you have a problem with an item you purchased and you want to return it, or if it never arrived, go to the resolution center and open a case.  That will get the seller's attention. 

In the meantime, if you give us more details, we might be able to assist you better. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

"RIP Bosslady Rosie 05/08/06- 11/08/19 Taken so quickly but died in her daddy’s arms."

I am so sorry for your loss. We had to assist our 15 year old lab mix over the Rainbow Bridge a couple of weeks ago. I will miss her forever. Tears in my eyes.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

It happened to me.  I bought the gift cards and everything and he told me to scratch the back part and that’s where I started to get suspicious about him. I did bought the cards but never did I sent him pictures of them scratch. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply