cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer somehow able to pay with PayPal on pickup item

Sold a pickup only item that says in big letters I do not accept Paypal on pickup only items and does not have Paypal links shown in listing.

Somehow buyer was able to pay with Paypal anyways.  Debating issuing a refund and calling eBay to see if they'll just wipe the transaction.  

How do I prevent this from happening again?   

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Cannot see how you set up your listing so hard to advise but did you:

When listing the item, select the "Pay on pickup" checkbox in the payments section, select "No shipping. Local pickup only" in the shipping section and place this text - "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup." - in the item description.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

• Payment upon pickup

If you offer payment upon pickup, you'll also need to offer one of the approved electronic methods, and may include this statement in your listing: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

If you had local pickup only as only shipping option in shipping section buyer does not have buyer protection .Ebay will not wipe the transaction.You can cancel and refund but buyer will still be able to leave feedback and your account gets a strike

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Sellers here sell on their terms, not buyers terms. When you sell for local pickup only, you have every right to demand cash opon pickup, and I'm sure most here feel the same way. I would refund buyer telling them to bring cash.  Protect yourself. Cash is king. Good Luck to you.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

Sellers here sell on their terms, not buyers terms. When you sell for local pickup only, you have every right to demand cash opon pickup, and I'm sure most here feel the same way. I would refund buyer telling them to bring cash.  Protect yourself. Cash is king. Good Luck to you.

Yes, but you also have to be mindful that if the buyer disagrees, and you cancel, it could cause a defect.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Sold a pickup only item that says in big letters I do not accept Paypal on pickup only items and does not have Paypal links shown in listing.

Somehow buyer was able to pay with Paypal anyways.   

That's because a buyer can still use PayPal to pay for a Local Pickup Only listing. However, PayPal will disallow Item Not Received disputes on listings that did not offer any Shipping method (at all). When you list it for Local Pickup and specify no Shipping methods, you get special verbiage placed in your listing (it's on the Shipping tab; look for it there) directing the buyer to contact you for details on pickup. They don't get to pick it up and then file an INR on you later.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Just a general comment, but I foresee a lot of SNAD requests for those eclipse glasses once the event has passed.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Says in the listing that I only accept payment in person and do not accept Paypal on pickup only items.  So far as I know when I set up that text it was fully within eBay rules, although I'm sure they could have changed since.  I'm not going to accept any electronic payments on pickup items; they're sold as-is, where is.  

The item is too big and delicate to ship and I've no idea why this person, a local buyer, hit the Paypal button before even talking to me.   But now I'm stuck because eBay's broken system still expects me to ship something and put in a tracking number even though no shipping was offered on the listing.  

I probably should have thrown it in a load of scrap after the last guy who wanted it gave me the runaround to where I just said no thanks, good luck finding another one. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I'm not canceling, I'm refunding, If my terms on my sale of my Item is cash opon Local pickup, why should I pay a pay pal fee? This is a Cash sale, Sure I owe eBay 10%, but Owe Pay pal nothing.  I would refund any such sale, It's my stuff, and with the history of scams here, I want Cash. My Stuff. My Terms. Good Luck to you.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

I'm not canceling, I'm refunding, If my terms on my sale of my Item is cash opon Local pickup, why should I pay a pay pal fee? This is a Cash sale, Sure I owe eBay 10%, but Owe Pay pal nothing.  I would refund any such sale, It's my stuff, and with the history of scams here, I want Cash. My Stuff. My Terms. Good Luck to you.

No, not what I meant.

What happens when the person pays through paypal?  If you refund it, what happens then?

You cannot open unpaid strike, because they paid.

So what is the next move to avoid a strike?

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Should this be listed and Dessribed as a Local pickup, Cash only sale, I would expect to be paid in Cash. I offered no other option. Refunding does not give you a strike, nor would I want to open SNAD case, I'm the seller selling things on my terms, will admit once received defect, but was removed. If you now have to offer pay pal on local pickups, All I see is more scams.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

Should this be listed and Dessribed as a Local pickup, Cash only sale, I would expect to be paid in Cash. I offered no other option. Refunding does not give you a strike, nor would I want to open SNAD case, I'm the seller selling things on my terms, will admit once received defect, but was removed. If you now have to offer pay pal on local pickups, All I see is more scams.

Do you mean Not paid strike?  She did pay, you just returned it.

And how were you able to get defect removed?  I have found ebay to inconsistent to be able to count on it.

But to answer my question - OK so you refunded the money back?  

But what happens next?  If buyer insists on paying through paypal?

How does this stalemate come to an end if she insists on paying through paypal and you keep refunding her money?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

The item is too big and delicate to ship and I've no idea why this person, a local buyer, hit the Paypal button before even talking to me.   But now I'm stuck because eBay's broken system still expects me to ship something and put in a tracking number even though no shipping was offered on the listing.

Are you sure? If you offered no Shipping and Local Pickup Only, it doesn't matter if you never upload a tracking number because you never offered to ship it. eBay doesn't care if you never ship it, and the buyer can't file an INR because there were no Shipping options. 

Have you heard anything from your buyer yet about picking it up?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

Somehow buyer was able to pay with Paypal anyways.  Debating issuing a refund and calling eBay to see if they'll just wipe the transaction.  

Because ebay forces you to allow paypal on local pickup listings also. There is no way around it. 

@postingid7659 wrote:

You have to accept one type of electronic payment or the listing will not go live.  So yes, your listing accepted PayPal.  Too bad we can't look at your listing to give opinions.

The buyer is allowed to pay with PayPal for pickup-only items; and eBay may entertain SNAD claims on items that are picked up.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 15 of 21
latest reply