cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returns used item sold brand new. Seller working for eBay rules in buyer's favor

Just had a buyer who purchased an expensive miniature perfume in a variation listing that also listed a large gift set of the same perfume. Buyer received a brand new miniature perfume and opened a SNAD case claiming that he was supposed to receive a gift set and accusing the authentic perfume to be "watered down." I wanted to escalate the case to eBay but still went ahead and sent a return shipping label for full refund. Buyer shipped back half of the perfume mini. I took pictures and escalated to eBay.

eBay apparently has sellers working for them? This seller sends me a message on a "Return Case Update" saying warmly how (paraphrasing him here) delighted he is to know that I went above and beyond my efforts by approving a return request to make my buyers happy. He said he is saddened to hear about the buyer's claim that they did not receive the gift set, and added that he checked my listing and the buyer received the correct item.

But he decides to rule in buyer's favor anyway. "Having reviewed your case, I see that eBay has no definitive proof that the buyer caused the issue. In these situations, our decision will be that the seller accepts the return, issues the refund, and pursues the issue outside of eBay if they wish." He then goes into the whole jargon about how I can report the buyer and the Buyer Risk Management Team will take a look at it. He says he definitely wants me to report the buyer. **bleep**?

Soon after this, I get another email from eBay saying the case was decided in buyer's favor because they couldn't prove the buyer abused the return policy. I immediately call CS and calmly explain myself. The appeals department hears me out, sees my attached pictures of the returned item, and reverses the case outcome.

So my question is, since when did sellers on eBay begin to act like fools and rule in buyer's favor WHEN the buyers are clearly at fault. The buyer could have returned me a rock back and still, this seller-worker would have ruled in the buyer's favor. So does that mean that I have to be a free return shipping idiot even when the buyer returns me poop?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Buyer returns used item sold brand new. Seller working for eBay rules in buyer's favor

While many Corporate employees are also sellers, that should have no bearing on your issue.  Explain why you feel it does.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You're not alial, ive list thousands and my good perfect feedback record because no matter what you do ebaewill always side with buyer, sellers have absolutely no recourse, can't even leave a neutral feedback, it's turned out to be a deadbeat buyers paradise, very sad, especially when you have been a seller since 1999, then it really hurts

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@bubbles1234567wrote:

Just had a buyer who purchased an expensive miniature perfume in a variation listing that also listed a large gift set of the same perfume. Buyer received a brand new miniature perfume and opened a SNAD case claiming that he was supposed to receive a gift set and accusing the authentic perfume to be "watered down." I wanted to escalate the case to eBay but still went ahead and sent a return shipping label for full refund. Buyer shipped back half of the perfume mini. I took pictures and escalated to eBay.

eBay apparently has sellers working for them? This seller sends me a message on a "Return Case Update" saying warmly how (paraphrasing him here) delighted he is to know that I went above and beyond my efforts by approving a return request to make my buyers happy. He said he is saddened to hear about the buyer's claim that they did not receive the gift set, and added that he checked my listing and the buyer received the correct item.

But he decides to rule in buyer's favor anyway. "Having reviewed your case, I see that eBay has no definitive proof that the buyer caused the issue. In these situations, our decision will be that the seller accepts the return, issues the refund, and pursues the issue outside of eBay if they wish." He then goes into the whole jargon about how I can report the buyer and the Buyer Risk Management Team will take a look at it. He says he definitely wants me to report the buyer. **bleep**?

Soon after this, I get another email from eBay saying the case was decided in buyer's favor because they couldn't prove the buyer abused the return policy. I immediately call CS and calmly explain myself. The appeals department hears me out, sees my attached pictures of the returned item, and reverses the case outcome.

So my question is, since when did sellers on eBay begin to act like fools and rule in buyer's favor WHEN the buyers are clearly at fault. The buyer could have returned me a rock back and still, this seller-worker would have ruled in the buyer's favor. So does that mean that I have to be a free return shipping idiot even when the buyer returns me poop?

While in the return request stage , when a seller issues a refund and return shipping label, the seller has pretty much predetemined the initial outcome of any possible future claim. Having done so ebay will more than likely agree with seller.  However had the seller sent the buyer a polite, factual message detailing why they shouldn't honor the request, IT is possible had the request been escalated by the buyer into a NAD claim, that ebay could agree with the seller.

Without being able to see the listing described above, I would have to agree with ebay in this situation. Seller has assumed some level of quilt by issuing a return label and refund prior to having the request investigated. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Actually eBay encourages employees to use the sight. I think it makes them better CS reps cause they know how the site works.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The only reason the return request was accepted was to satisfy the buyer. The buyer misused the returns policy and eBay sided.

Damned if you do accept returns, damned if you don't I guess.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ebay has no way to tell who is telling the truth,pictures may not be from the same item,so buyer will win as long as he returned something with tracking.

if seller complains,Ebay may refund the buyer from its own coffer and let you keep the payment.

The rationale behind it is that if the seller bothers to take picture and complain,he must be telling the truth,so Ebay will just eat the loss ,buyer gets his money back and seller keeps his sales proceed.

but make sure you report this buyer,do it too many times,and he will be banned from buying on Ebay as he is seen as a hazard to Ebay seller comunity

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@bubbles1234567wrote:

The only reason the return request was accepted was to satisfy the buyer. The buyer misused the returns policy and eBay sided.

Damned if you do accept returns, damned if you don't I guess.

Did you report the buyer for asking for more than what was paid for? Did you include that information when responding to the REQUEST for refund?  A NAD reply was given as the reason for the REQUEST for refund. You issued a refund and RS label as your response.  Why would you ( or any other seller), expect ebay to change the outcome of a  request  that could potentially lose ebay money?

IF any seller thinks that a buyer is scamming, they should respond with all the evidence they have that could refute their claim. In this case, any proof showing the gift set was not included with purchase price a single item.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I' m curious how you know the rep was a seller.  And why would it matter?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

So my question is, since when did sellers on eBay begin to act like fools and rule in buyer's favor WHEN the buyers are clearly at fault.

First of all, the fact that a CS rep might be a seller should have absolutely no effect on how a case is decided.  Surely you're not suggesting that the rep should be biased in anybody's favor?

Secondly, the dispute was no longer about whether the item purchased was the gift set or just the mini: you had already approved that return.  It would be interesting to see that listing, as many of these are problematic.

So, the actual case was about whether the buyer returned something less than what she had received.  And there is no way eBay can determine that, just as they stated.

You apparently won a Squeaky Wheel Appeal from eBay, so the buyer was refunded out of eBay's pocket.  I'd be happy with that.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Point taken. All I am saying is that I, being a good seller who wants buyers to be fully satisifed, was scammed by the buyer and was annoyed when a CS rep. ruled in buyer's favor. 

I know he was a seller because he explicitly -- and rather mournfully -- told me that in his Update email. Why do I highlight that? Because he justified his decision based on the fact that he himself is a seller.

Yes, there is no way to determine if I did that or a buyer did. But at least, go with my sales history to see that I have no problem taking a loss on my products just to keep my buyers happy. It just irks me when honest sellers like me are backstabbed by the scamming buyers and eBay sides with them. Not everyone has the time to take pictures and then politely call CS and ask for their stolen PayPal money back. In this case, I took clear pictures of the actual item sold and the appeals department could clearly notice the deficiency. I mean, even the original perfume marking was rubbed off.

Forgot to report the buyer. Will do so now.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@bubbles1234567wrote:

Just had a buyer who purchased an expensive miniature perfume in a variation listing that also listed a large gift set of the same perfume. 

Am the only one that finds listing a mini and a gift set in a variation listing a wee bit deceptive?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@jaodon-0wrote:

@bubbles1234567wrote:

Just had a buyer who purchased an expensive miniature perfume in a variation listing that also listed a large gift set of the same perfume. 

Am the only one that finds listing a mini and a gift set in a variation listing a wee bit deceptive?

If the seller had many sizes: mini/sample, travel size, regular size, gift set then it would be more appropriate. If the only options are a mini sample size and a gift set then they should be listed separately or bundled together.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@jaodon-0wrote:

@bubbles1234567wrote:

No, You aren't alone Here .

Message 14 of 14
latest reply