cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

@lintbrush* wrote:

@retrose1

With all due respect...

Bells & whistles are above and beyond 'industry standards.'   Tracking isn't a bell or a whistle.   When the buyer remits payment which includes a trackable shipping service, they are entitled to receive tracking info.   When tracking was an additional expense, I might've agreed with your position.  

And what happens when the PO screws up and misdelivers?  Had you provided shipping info and it showed delivered but they genuinely didn't receive it, quick action can be taken.   In this scenario, leaving the buyer in the dark isn't fair to them.    (I speak from experience)

Could you please show me where it says in eBay policy that the buyer is "entitled" to tracking info, and exactly when in the process they are entitled to it? Thanks.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 526 of 714
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gramophone-georg

I never said nor implied that Retrose wasn't a good seller or was doing anything wrong.  I know Retrose to be quite knowlegeable.

Retrose does all the shipping at the PO and with tracking.  But Ret doesn't upload the tracking UNLESS the buyer files an INR.  Then if that happens the tracking number gets enter into the INR and the buyer is blocked if the tracking shows it has been delivered.  Which that could have been avoided if the tracking was uploaded when shipped.  However Ret didn't say what the procedure is if the tracking doesn't show delivery.

As I said before, it is Ret's right to structure her business within the rules of Ebay, any way she wants.  Ret isn't doing anything wrong, I just see it as a waste of time and potentially dangerous to her FB.  But again, Ret's choice.

Never said you said or implied that. You DID say she was "playing games" with her buyers. With that I disagree. No games are played unless the buyer  commences them. 

Not sure how this could possibly be unclear... it's pretty cut and dried.

No games are played unless the buyer  commences them. 

That simply is not true.  

Yes, I did call it "playing games" as Ret intentionally withholds the fact that the item was shipped with tracking it in order to see if any of the buyers will file an INR because they can't see that the item was shipped w/tracking.  Ret did state that if the tracking shows delivery for this buyer that has claimed an INR, they Ret will upload the tracking so that the INR can be closed and adds the buyer to their BBL.  Ret didn't say anything about a buyer filing an INR that per tracking was not received.  But I'm confident that Ret would work with the buyer to find a solution as Ret is a responsible seller IMHO.

I'll say it again:

There is no "game" here until the buyer decides to try to start one.

What Rose is saying has proven to be correct in her experience. You're not Rose, so you couldn't possibly have a clue as to the real reasons why she does or doesn't do what she does.

Again, I am astounded how this could possibly be unclear.

Look, it doesn't matter to me if you agree or not.  My opinion is that it is a game.  You are correct, I'm not Rose, nor are you for that matter.  But that does not preclude you or I from having opinions.  I have REPEATEDLY said that she has the right to run her business as she sees fit within the rules of Ebay.

I have no idea why you are "astounded" about anything.  I never said anything was unclear, by Rose or you.  If something was unclear to you, that is something you would have to deal with, not me.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 527 of 714
latest reply

@retrose1

While I agree with the others, that you have every right to do as you please.

It seems to me you are causing undue stress for both you and the buyers.

And how many potential repete customers have you possibly blocked ?

There is no need for you to baby set the tracking, or hand hold the buyer, or message them.

But the buyer, can see the progress of the package.

I would think if you just entered the tracking when back from the PO,

you would get fewer questions from buyers.

Real world example...

I ordered ebay boxes, and they had tracking, so I was able to see their progress.

The day it said "out for delivery"  I knew to keep my eyes open for UPS.

No truck showed up that day, so I check again, and it says delivered to porch.

Now, my little dog Emma, knows when there is so much as a cat in the yard.

So I know it was not stolen.

I take a drive around the hood, looking on porches, no box.

After a few hours searching, I call the local UPS distribution center.

They call the driver, and he says he put it on the back porch, but I have no back porch.

So I ask what the place looked like... he said like a bomb went off.

He had put the box on the crack heads back steps, that, I could not see from the road.

It rained that night, had I not known it was delivered, my boxes would have been mush.

I buy from you, but I see no tracking,

I am a chill dude, I give it a few more days.

After a few days, I am thinking what the heck, does this seller even care.

I like to know where an item is, so I can plan my day.

But now, I have to send you a message, and wait for you to reply. ( and put in tracking )

Now you have waisted my time, because you could not take 5 seconds to input tracking.

I know you are a good seller, and give good advice, so I am not slamming you.

I am just looking at it from a buyers point of view.

Message 528 of 714
latest reply

Could you please show me where it says in eBay policy that the buyer is "entitled" to tracking info, and exactly when in the process they are entitled to it? Thanks.

I don't think there is a policy that states that.  But when a seller selects certain types of shipping, a buyer knows tracking is included whether the seller chooses to share it or not is a different story.  But buyers know that FCP domestic includes tracking whether purchased at the PO or online.  The only time that tracking would not be included is if the buyer shipped using stamps.  Most don't do that anymore as it is more expensive to do it that way.

Message 529 of 714
latest reply

@gramophone-georg

If you read an earlier post of mine relating to this thread, I actually said that uploading tracking isn't a requirement.  However, providing it can prevent potential issues and is a good business practice.  

Buying has evolved.  Shipping has evolved with it.  Just the past few years have seen big changes.   Don't you remember not too long ago with USPS, tracking was an extra?  Now it's provided/included automatically with all package shipments.  They spent a lot of money putting campaigns out there advertising the service too.  

Message 530 of 714
latest reply

As a buyer I like to watch the tracking of my purchases because I have had things stolen off my porch and I would like to be able to be home if possible. Ok, back on topic, general reply to everybody and nobody in particular. ..

I sure hope this "test" that imho was nothing short of well..abusive with the misleading 3 days to respond gotcha down to one day whoopsy sorry you just got a massive defect that can ruin your ability to sell here.....

We had better not see these sellers continue to show up on this board with this problem. ebay needs to retroactively make absolutely sure that they have removed the super defect of without seller resolution from these sellers that suffered because of this "test".  I'm not one of them but I feel for anyone who suffered because they were misled. 

Message 531 of 714
latest reply

It isn't a "super" or "massive" defect, it is just a regular old defect.  It would take a few of these defects to start to affect the seller's status and ability to get their listings seen.

Trinton said that they are removing all defects retroactively from affected sellers.  

Message 532 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

It isn't a "super" or "massive" defect, it is just a regular old defect.  It would take a few of these defects to start to affect the seller's status and ability to get their listings seen.

Trinton said that they are removing all defects retroactively from affected sellers.  

What is most frightening to me is that the only reason these unfair defects are being retroactively removed is because this thread caught Trinton's attention!  It has 532 messages!  So if we have learned anything from this...be very vocal and post all concerns here. (and they might get Trinton's attention)

Message 533 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

It's a massive defect, it's the worst. Here are the rules, small sellers are allowed exactly and only TWO of them. 

A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request, or escalating a case to PayPal for review, and eBay or PayPal determines the seller is responsible.

Here are the minimum case requirements all sellers are expected to meet. The percentage requirement applies after the account has exceeded the maximum number of occurrences. 

Rates of cases based on Percentage of cases Maximum number of occurrences

Closed cases without seller resolution

0.30%

It's here......http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html#protection

Message 534 of 714
latest reply

Whatever it's called - closed without seller resolution - is the worst defect a seller can receive.

Maybe out of stock is equal in worstness; I'm not sure.  But to blithely say it takes "a few" to affect the seller's status is exactly the point.   That's all we have - a few - before decimation begins.  I'm not selling nearly as much as I did in the past, simply because I don't list nearly as much.  I have ventured into different cagetories and greatly upped the cost to me and hence selling price of my much smaller amount of listings and I can't afford "a few" hits.

I certainly hope Trinton knows that ebay's "remove the defects" department is going to follow through on removing them.  Just because he says it here doesn't mean it's going to happen and/or it's going to happen without affected sellers being made aware that they just got whammied and then do the sellers have to contact CS?  Try 'splainin all this to the offshore phone answerers.

Are the test* participants names known to the testers?  

*oh ha

::edit - slow typing corner; ersatz beat me to it while I was just babbling on - the defect is worst part, I mean::

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 535 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031

@mam98031 wrote:

And as I recall, not long ago, they changed the defect rules.

And things that were not defects before, retroactively became defects.

Sellers were dropping like flies.

Message 536 of 714
latest reply

Yes, that portion of the rules does read that way.  I find it very annoying, but the policy you referenced isn't the complete answer, which is why we all get so darn confused sometimes.  You also have to take this policy into consideration that explains how many it takes and by how many buyers before Ebay takes the stat into consideration.

Per Ebay:

The transaction defect rate that results from the opening of requests and cases won't affect your seller status until you have transactions with defects involving at least 5 unique buyers, or at least 4 different buyers to impact Top Rated status, within your evaluation period.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/cases.html

Message 537 of 714
latest reply

I certainly hope Trinton knows that ebay's "remove the defects" department is going to follow through on removing them.  Just because he says it here doesn't mean it's going to happen and/or it's going to happen without affected sellers being made aware that they just got whammied and then do the sellers have to contact CS?  Try 'splainin all this to the offshore phone answerers.

That is an assumption on your part, not a fact. 

Message 538 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Well we certainly have different experiences with this that I have no answers for.  Sorry it was such a hassel for you.  INRs have always been very easy for me.  And I've never re-entered the tracking number even though the email says you need to.

I rarely have problems with items not arriving, and I'm glad. Mostly with eBay though because they actually will screw things up with the normal process of things, and end up costing the seller, when there is no need for it.

To actually file a USPS claim, it has to be 15 days for priority mail, and other methods are even longer. eBay wants it done immediately which is unreasonable. eBay may have deep pockets due to sellers, but many of the sellers don't have deep pockets due to eBay.

Message 539 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031

Do you remember Paulie ?  6 OOS and he got the boot. ( and an unresolved, I think )

Another seller had 2 Unresolved, and he got the boot.

ebay got rid of many defects, but at the same time made the two thad remain, deadly.

Message 540 of 714
latest reply