cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Hey @badwolf12 it sounds like this situation may have triggered a faster resolution process that we are testing out. If an item not received case is opened more than 5 days after the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond then the case will actually be escalated for a refund after 24 hours have passed, instead of the standard 3 business days. We are testing the impact of this change and while these specific triggers represent a rarer set of criteria, you may see this from time to time being reported. If a seller has concerns with the timeframe provided, we recommend they reach out to customer service to discuss the details.

Does this include international sellers selling to US shipping FROM overseas?

@Anonymous

thanks

Yes; any transaction on eBay.com could have this test process applied.

I was going to ask ANY? due to it not going to be applied to your big-box or china or (now) india sellers, but I caught the word 'could' in the sentence.

@Anonymous wrote:

@badwolf12 wrote:

@c.muscat wrote:

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

@Anonymous @Anonymous tyler@ebay

Hi Trinton, Heidi, Tyler-

Can one of you please advise why this is happening? I have seen a few posts recently where CS is escalating almost immediately even though a seller is supposed to have 3 business days to respond with tracking or a refund to an INR claim. Instead CS is escalating almost instantly and seller is likely getting a defect for case closed without seller resolution. The above example is the worst yet, with a case opened on a Saturday then escalated on a Sunday.

Is there some sort of policy change we are not aware of?

Hey @badwolf12 it sounds like this situation may have triggered a faster resolution process that we are testing out. If an item not received case is opened more than 5 days after the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond then the case will actually be escalated for a refund after 24 hours have passed, instead of the standard 3 business days. We are testing the impact of this change and while these specific triggers represent a rarer set of criteria, you may see this from time to time being reported. If a seller has concerns with the timeframe provided, we recommend they reach out to customer service to discuss the details.

if ebay is going to do something this stupid, then ebay needs to cover the refund not the seller. Let ebay pay off the buyer. 24hrs is to respond is just insane. And sellers aren't even required to upload tracking so it is extremely UNFAIR to give them 24 hours, NOT EVEN business hours but a mere 24 hours no matter what day of the week, to respond is just insane and incredibly unfair. Man just when you think they can't stick to sellers even more! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 32 of 714
latest reply

Trinton: have you looked a bit into the future to see what the side effects of this will be?

It will mean the end of cheap item sales.  I don't sell cheap items, but I do buy them.  Watch batteries in particular. There are others.

Given that the cheapest tracking costs about $2.40, there is no way anyone can both sell cheap items and provide tracking.

These are not bad sellers.  If you report INR, they either refund or reship immediately (unless they're gone for a day or two).  They are a real asset to the community, and they're certainly an asset to me.

I hope you can find a plan for them, because they really can't be expected to always refund within 24 hours of first notification that there is a problem.

Maybe you could provide them with a choice of automatically refunding at the end of 24 hours, as compared to getting an unresolved strike?

Message 33 of 714
latest reply

If the seller has tracking, the expectation would be that they provide this before a case is ever opened, so no appeal would be provided should they give this to CS after the case is closed. The escalation is automatic, so the buyer would not need to call. The seller should be made aware of this timeframe.

This has to be the most bizzare thing I have read here for years.  Are users informed of being included in this new swift (we got your money and you have to item) program?  Is there a place that we can read about it on ebay? Be forewarned, perhaps, that the policies and information provided on the site MAY NOT FREAKING APPLY?  

Had some things to list here, changed my mind. 

Sellers who use ebay or Pal shipping lables have uploaded tracking at the point of purchase.  We all know that if you don't upload it again when a compliant comes through you get  th3 "so sorry to be you" note, and are awarded the mega defect for "no seller resolution"......EVEN IF TRACKING SHOWS DELIVERED. 

Are you saying the procedure has changed?  Or is the policy the same and now is interpreted differently?   

Message 34 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Does this include international sellers selling to US shipping FROM overseas?

@Anonymous

thanks

Yes; any transaction on eBay.com could have this test process applied.

I was going to ask ANY? due to it not going to be applied to your big-box or china or (now) india sellers, but I caught the word 'could' in the sentence.

I apologize, but I don't think I understand what you are saying. I can reiterate that a seller's location would have no impact on whether or not this process would apply. Let me know if you still have questions!

Message 35 of 714
latest reply

"The escalation is automatic, so the buyer would not need to call."

I see a new slogan in ebays futiure "Ebay- Were just giving it away! Come on down!"

Seriously why not jump to the end of this madness? Buyer wants a refund for any reason he gets one and keeps the item. Heck, have the seller send him an additional $20 for his trouble. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 36 of 714
latest reply

The big injustice is a seller getting an unresolved by seller case in these instances by not being given the time to refund themselves.    If ebay wants to refund faster, even if they take it from my account, at least the unresolved defect should be waved since it's not like I would refuse to refund and need ebay to do it for me.

Message 37 of 714
latest reply

Ten KUDO's to Fern   ^^^^^^  

What happened to the "you have xxx BUSINESS days to respond"  clause.  Shall we all go and see if it is removed? 

Message 38 of 714
latest reply

@colletpw wrote:

Trinton: have you looked a bit into the future to see what the side effects of this will be?

It will mean the end of cheap item sales.  I don't sell cheap items, but I do buy them.  Watch batteries in particular. There are others.

Given that the cheapest tracking costs about $2.40, there is no way anyone can both sell cheap items and provide tracking.

These are not bad sellers.  If you report INR, they either refund or reship immediately.  They are a real asset to the community, and they're certainly an asset to me.

If this becomes policy, then it will severely affect the way I operate here, especially on anything under $20, as I referred to in my previous post.

As I previously stated, anything under $20, I am willing to ship world wide First Class International (other than the few areas I have blocked across the board).  That was because even though there are only a handful of countries that have the E-DELCON service, $20 and under is an easy enough risk to assume.  However, if the risk now includes those hefty Unresolved By Seller strikes due to not being able to provide actual tracking, then that changes the game; unless just uploading the Customs number that gets used for E-DELCON is sufficient despite most of them never updating after leaving the country.

Anyway, if this becomes policy, then I will be simply blocking not only countries that do not have E-DELCON, I will block any that can not be individually selected from the list available for countries to ship to per shipping class.  So the only countries I would be shipping under $20 items to would be Canada, UK, Germany, France, and Australia.  Sorry, Japan.  As much as I like shipping to you guys, this new policy is a game changer, which can kill a selling account with only a few INR complaints where I am unable to respond in time.

In fact, this will also probably mean that a lot of the under $20 items I have would very likely get migrated to other venues, where all that is at risk for an international INR that I can't provide tracking for would be just the loss of the item and a bit of cash; instead of loss of item, a bit of cash, and my entire ability to sell.

Keeping low value items affordable to my international buyers is what makes for a more pleasant buying experience for them, instead of the inane policies that the pointy haired bosses here keep stuffing us with.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 39 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ittybitnot wrote:

If the seller has tracking, the expectation would be that they provide this before a case is ever opened, so no appeal would be provided should they give this to CS after the case is closed. The escalation is automatic, so the buyer would not need to call. The seller should be made aware of this timeframe.

This has to be the most bizzare thing I have read here for years.  Are users informed of being included in this new swift (we got your money and you have to item) program?  Is there a place that we can read about it on ebay? Be forewarned, perhaps, that the policies and information provided on the site MAY NOT FREAKING APPLY?  

Sellers who use ebay or Pal shipping lables have uploaded tracking at the point of purchase.  We all know that if you don't upload it again when a compliant comes through you get  th3 "so sorry to be you" note, and are awarded the mega defect for "no seller resolution"......EVEN IF TRACKING SHOWS DELIVERED. 

Are you saying the procedure has changed?  Or is the policy the same and now is interpreted differently?   

If you use eBay or PayPal shipping labels, the tracking is automatically uploaded to the site and would not need to be uploaded again if a case is opened. If you provided tracking that confirmed delivery and somehow a case was decided against you, resulting in a strike, we would be able to appeal this situation for you, no problem! If a seller has a question about the timeframe given in a case, I encourage them to reach out to customer service to discuss specifics.

Message 40 of 714
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Ten KUDO's to Fern   ^^^^^^  

What happened to the "you have xxx BUSINESS days to respond"  clause.  Shall we all go and see if it is removed? 

Why would they remove that?  They want sellers to believe the parameters we set are viable, so we'll keep listing.  

As a seller there's nothing here for me at eBay.

I was waiting for the dust to settle, to see if the site might finally stabilize so I feel safe listing again, but this is a mudslide.  

Message 41 of 714
latest reply

If you use eBay or PayPal shipping labels, the tracking is automatically uploaded to the site and would not need to be uploaded again if a case is opened. If you provided tracking that confirmed delivery and somehow a case was decided against you, resulting in a strike, we would be able to appeal this situation for you, no problem! If a seller has a question about the timeframe given in a case, I encourage them to reach out to customer service to discuss specifics.

Appeal the strike or appeal the case?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 42 of 714
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

The big injustice is a seller getting an unresolved by seller case in these instances by not being given the time to refund themselves.    If ebay wants to refund faster, even if they take it from my account, at least the unresolved defect should be waved since it's not like I would refuse to refund and need ebay to do it for me.

Amen to this.  The whole thing is ridiculous. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 43 of 714
latest reply

Trinton............you read these boards.........  Everytime someone asks what to do when they get an INR case, but uploaded tracking shows delivered.........EVERYone advises to, first, upload tracking number to the case, 2nd call CS to get it closed in the sellers favor......to not do so risks a non responding defect or so we (I) thought......

That, apparently is not necessary..........why couldn't you/CS SOMEONE told us it wasn't.......

For years, we questioned why in the world when tracking shows delivered an INR case is even allowed to be opened.........  if, as you tell us now,  we don't have to upload tracking, what do we have to do?

@Anonymous

Message 44 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

This makes absolutely NO sense! Are you saying sellers are no longer required to respond to INRs then? And won't get an unresolved by seller defect if they don't upload tracking to the case? And if tracking shows delivery why would a case be allowed to be opened? And if the seller doesn't respond do they get an Unresolved by seller strike? And why, for everyone NOT in this test, is everything different? Why isn't tracking automatically uploaded to the case? If they don't upload tracking they will lose the case period and get an unresolved by seller defect. If they don't respond to an SNAD, they lose and get an unresolved by seller defect. I can see where eBay is

coming from because there are a lot of angry buyers who no shouldn't have to wait for a refund but most of the time it's  involving suspended sellers and hijacked accounts so why doesn't eBay just fix their security issues rather than punish good sellers???

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 45 of 714
latest reply