cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Re: Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

Hey @badwolf12 it sounds like this situation may have triggered a faster resolution process that we are testing out. If an item not received case is opened more than 5 days after the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond then the case will actually be escalated for a refund after 24 hours have passed, instead of the standard 3 business days. We are testing the impact of this change and while these specific triggers represent a rarer set of criteria, you may see this from time to time being reported. If a seller has concerns with the timeframe provided, we recommend they reach out to customer service to discuss the details.

Does this include international sellers selling to US shipping FROM overseas?

@Anonymous

thanks

Message 16 of 714
latest reply

Re: Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

Is this test supposed to be a general 24 hours (weekends included) or is it 24 hours factoring in the first business day?

Also, if a seller does have tracking but it wasn't previously uploaded, will CS reverse the decision and also remove the defect if a seller does have tracking with confirmed delivery but was unable to reply within 24 hours?

ETA: Is the escalation automatic or does the buyer need to call in for the quick escalation?

One more edit: Is the seller notified of this 24 hour timeframe when the message about the INR is sent to them?

Based on what just happened, weekend are open game. Sellers need to make sure that they're monitoring their accounts 24/7.

Message 17 of 714
latest reply

Which is completely crazy & the reason I asked Trinton to verify answers those questions.

Message 18 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

Is this test supposed to be a general 24 hours (weekends included) or is it 24 hours factoring in the first business day?

Also, if a seller does have tracking but it wasn't previously uploaded, will CS reverse the decision and also remove the defect if a seller does have tracking with confirmed delivery but was unable to reply within 24 hours?

ETA: Is the escalation automatic or does the buyer need to call in for the quick escalation?

One more edit: Is the seller notified of this 24 hour timeframe when the message about the INR is sent to them?

The test would be 24 hours from the time the case was opened, including weekends. If the seller has tracking, the expectation would be that they provide this before a case is ever opened, so no appeal would be provided should they give this to CS after the case is closed. The escalation is automatic, so the buyer would not need to call. The seller should be made aware of this timeframe.

I want to reiterate the criteria for this to happen represents a very poor experience for a buyer and as such would warrant a faster resolution. No tracking would have been provided in a situation like this and 5 days have passed beyond the estimated delivery date. Under these circumstances, we feel 3 full business days is not necessary to provide to a seller, as there has been ample time for delivery and for tracking to be given. If the seller responds to the case or provides tracking within 24 hours of the case being opened, then the standard timeframes would apply.

Message 19 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

The test would be 24 hours from the time the case was opened, including weekends. If the seller has tracking, the expectation would be that they provide this before a case is ever opened, so no appeal would be provided should they give this to CS after the case is closed. The escalation is automatic, so the buyer would not need to call. The seller should be made aware of this timeframe.

I want to reiterate the criteria for this to happen represents a very poor experience for a buyer and as such would warrant a faster resolution. No tracking would have been provided in a situation like this and 5 days have passed beyond the estimated delivery date. Under these circumstances, we feel 3 full business days is not necessary to provide to a seller, as there has been ample time for delivery and for tracking to be given. If the seller responds to the case or provides tracking within 24 hours of the case being opened, then the standard timeframes would apply.

Why has eBay gotten so seller unfriendly? What I mean by this is, why does eBay put so many roadblocks in front of the sellers here?

Message 20 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

That is insane! What if a seller has gone away for the weekend? I'd love to go to the beach for a weekend and not feel I would be tied to eBay 24/7.

Message 21 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

Hey @badwolf12 it sounds like this situation may have triggered a faster resolution process that we are testing out. If an item not received case is opened more than 5 days after the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond then the case will actually be escalated for a refund after 24 hours have passed, instead of the standard 3 business days. We are testing the impact of this change and while these specific triggers represent a rarer set of criteria, you may see this from time to time being reported. If a seller has concerns with the timeframe provided, we recommend they reach out to customer service to discuss the details.

Does this include international sellers selling to US shipping FROM overseas?

@Anonymous

thanks

Yes; any transaction on eBay.com could have this test process applied.

Message 22 of 714
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying, Trinton.

I can see this being a big problem for those who do PWE sales and run into the occasional lost item or scammer. The 24hr timeframe should include a full business day, that way a seller has the option to refund before getting a defect.

This was never announced so people in that situation won't be aware they need to be "on" 24/7. 😞

@c.muscat Can you please confirm if the notification you received on Saturday told you that you only had 24 hrs to respond?

Message 23 of 714
latest reply

So, you're saying OP did not provide a tracking number upon shipping.  I don't remember OP saying that, either way.

*IF* a seller is placed in this test without her/his knowledge and is not notified that the response time limit has changed from 3 business days to 24 hours, does the seller get a no resolution strike?  

WHY oh why does ebay punish sellers in beta testing?  Not saying that's what happened here but it does happen.

And I will be the first to do the apples/oranges thing:  Amazon requires that a seller respond to a buyer message within 24 hours.   

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 24 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

Ok.  But generally speaking, isn't the tracking number already available on eBay and PAYPAL to begin with?  Of course I can't speak for those who purchase postage over the counter but since the bulk of sellers use either eBay or PAYPAL for printing labels, the tracking is automatically uploaded.  At.  That.  Point.  Therefore  isn't it a little ridiculous to expect a seller to provide something within 24 hours of a case being opened that has ALREADY provided ?  And for that matter, why is it even possible for an INR case to be opened when the tracking is at everyone's fingertips?  Never mind those that can be opened before the latest estimated delivery date.

Last question:  When will some secret rules be made that are in favor of sellers?

Joe

Message 25 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@readabouthorses wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

That is insane! What if a seller has gone away for the weekend? I'd love to go to the beach for a weekend and not feel I would be tied to eBay 24/7.

If your shipment is more than five days beyond the estimated delivery date and you have no tracking provided to show it is on it's way, I would suggest you reach out to your buyer proactively to ensure you are addressing this situation for them instead of waiting for a case to be opened. If you have tracking, provide this and the standard timeframes would apply. If you do not have tracking, then we would not be able to protect you in an item not received case anyway and there is no reason to ask a buyer to wait additional time.

The earliest a buyer can open an item not received case is the day after the estimated delivery date and this test process only kicks in if five or more days have passed from the estimated delivery date. The earliest a refund would be issued by eBay is essentially the same timeframe in these two scenarios. 

Examples:

Estimated delivery date is Thursday, June 1st. The buyer can open a case on Friday, June 2nd. The case can be escalated to eBay as early as Thursday, June 8th for a decision.

Estimated delivery date is Thursday, June 1st. Buyer waits five days beyond this date and opens a case on Wednesday, June 7th to open a case. 24 hours pass and the case is escalated for a refund on Thursday, June 8th.

The earliest date a refund can be issued remains the same in both scenarios. The shorter timeframe provided to a seller only refers to the time after a case is created when the buyer has already waiting 5 full days beyond the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond promptly to the case. I recommend that tracking be purchased whenever possible to best protect you in the event of an item not received case being filed.

Message 26 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tellmemama wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

Ok.  But generally speaking, isn't the tracking number already available on eBay and PAYPAL to begin with?  Of course I can't speak for those who purchase postage over the counter but since the bulk of sellers use either eBay or PAYPAL for printing labels, the tracking is automatically uploaded.  At.  That.  Point.  Therefore  isn't it a little ridiculous to expect a seller to provide something within 24 hours of a case being opened that has ALREADY provided ?  And for that matter, why is it even possible for an INR case to be opened when the tracking is at everyone's fingertips?  Never mind those that can be opened before the latest estimated delivery date.

Last question:  When will some secret rules be made that are in favor of sellers?

Hey @tellmemama, I agree it would be a little ridiculous to have a seller provide something within 24 hours that has already been provided. This is why the process I have outlined wouldn't apply if the seller has already provided tracking. 

Message 27 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

Here's another problem with this...I always upload my tracking. Yet, every time I've had a problem with a shipment, eBay still required that I submit the tracking info a second time. So, lets say you already uploaded your tracking the day the item shipped. Is eBay going to expect you to resubmit it within 24hrs?

Message 28 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Hi Trinton,

Here's another problem with this...I always upload my tracking. Yet, every time I've had a problem with a shipment, eBay still required that I submit the tracking info a second time. So, lets say you already uploaded your tracking the day the item shipped. Is eBay going to expect you to resubmit it within 24hrs?

You do not need to upload tracking a second time. When an item not received case is opened, you will receive an automated email asking you to upload tracking - if you have already done this once, you do not need to do it again. We have access to your tracking information when you upload it to the site and would use it in a case decision.

Message 29 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@badwolf12 wrote:

@c.muscat wrote:

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

@Anonymous @Anonymous tyler@ebay

Hi Trinton, Heidi, Tyler-

Can one of you please advise why this is happening? I have seen a few posts recently where CS is escalating almost immediately even though a seller is supposed to have 3 business days to respond with tracking or a refund to an INR claim. Instead CS is escalating almost instantly and seller is likely getting a defect for case closed without seller resolution. The above example is the worst yet, with a case opened on a Saturday then escalated on a Sunday.

Is there some sort of policy change we are not aware of?

Seriously?

Can you people please start testing something that is actually viable?