cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Re: Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

You can contact eBay.  Buyer should not be able to escalate that quickly.

And, in response to your other remark, it has never been a good idea to sell for 99 cents, in my opinion.

Message 2 of 714
latest reply

Re: Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

There was a similar thread about this issue in the last couple of days. The other involved an international transaction that had no delivery confirmation.  Is that the case for you as well? 

Seems like perhaps ebay is just rushing these through when there is no tracking on the parcel. The seller is going to lose anyway, so why delay?   Just thinking.

Message 3 of 714
latest reply

did it have tracking?    I can see the refund if not......but NOT the non seller resolution.....I would call back..........

Message 4 of 714
latest reply

@retrose1

Hi Rose. You have mentioned often that you have tracking for all of your packages, postage purchased at the PO, but you don't add tracking to the transaction unless a buyer messages you claiming INR.

Have you experienced the OP's situation where somebody filed an INR with eBay then the case was escalated prematurely and before you could respond & upload tracking (on a weekend, no less!)

Since you do have tracking in your case it would be easy enough to call CS, provide tracking and reverse the decision. I'm just wondering if it's happened to you since I know you don't typically upload tracking and I've seen a few threads about this premature case escalation recently.

Message 5 of 714
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

There was a similar thread about this issue in the last couple of days. The other involved an international transaction that had no delivery confirmation.  Is that the case for you as well? 

Seems like perhaps ebay is just rushing these through when there is no tracking on the parcel. The seller is going to lose anyway, so why delay?   Just thinking.

The seller should at the very least be given time to refund themselves to avoid the unresolved by seller case.

Message 6 of 714
latest reply

Back at ya Badwolf.  Surprisingly it hasn't happened to me.  But I don't often ship with tracking Internationally.  And I haven't gotten a lot of cases this year so far.  Could be that my items are rarely more than $20, and I don't do anything to get my listings in front of impulse buyers.  If buyers are going to scam, why scam a used $10 item when they can scam a brand new $50 item.

BUT - The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine about 10 years ago.  Over a holiday weekend he was away from home and got a case for the $400 item he had sold and shipped to a woman in France almost a month earlier.  The pal locked up his credit card since he didn't have the money in paypal anymore.   When he got back home he found that a case had been filed and was escalated and close the next day, and he had hundreds of emails/messages from other victims of the same scammer.  She had bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff on ebay and over the 4 day holiday weekend when most people are away from home and/or computer, filed cases on all of them and got money back and the item for free.  My friend's $400 item was actually one of the cheaper listings scammed.  And she had done it before - and ebay/paypal did not think anything was suspicious.

One of the victims got together a large group of other victims and went to a lawyer - and ebay's rules about disputes changed.  My friend just closed his selling account, and rarely buys on ebay anymore.

If ebay is letting buyers open and close cases within hours again, it will be open season on high dollar items.  Good thing all mine are listed and sold elsewhere.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 714
latest reply

The bad news is that Japan is not one of the countries on the USPS E-DELCON list for First Class International, so you will have to refund before eBay does it for you.

The good new is that Japan seems to have a high enough general level of honesty among buyers that your buyer's non receipt claim is very likely genuine.  Heck, I trust Japanese buyers enough to where they are the exception on my $20 max value for shipping FCI without full tracking (up to $100 for them...after all, I do have my limits).  In all the many years I have been selling here, I have never had any complaints of either INR or SNAD from the many Japanese customers I have had.  So until such time that it does become a problem, if it ever does; I will maintain my confidence in selling to them the way I always do.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 8 of 714
latest reply

Regardless the seller has or does not actually have tracking, eBay asserts that the seller has 3 business days to now provide any tracking 1. after the request is started and 2. before the case is escalated.

"If a buyer claims that they did not receive an item, the related eBay Money Back Guarantee case will be found in your favor if you shipped within your stated handling time and provided tracking information (with signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more) before the case was escalated to eBay."

Message 9 of 714
latest reply

@c.muscat wrote:

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

@Anonymous @Anonymous tyler@ebay

Hi Trinton, Heidi, Tyler-

Can one of you please advise why this is happening? I have seen a few posts recently where CS is escalating almost immediately even though a seller is supposed to have 3 business days to respond with tracking or a refund to an INR claim. Instead CS is escalating almost instantly and seller is likely getting a defect for case closed without seller resolution. The above example is the worst yet, with a case opened on a Saturday then escalated on a Sunday.

Is there some sort of policy change we are not aware of?

Message 10 of 714
latest reply

Just another Chinese competitor using ebays system to weed out the competition in the 99 cent merchandise...

Message 11 of 714
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Just another Chinese competitor using ebays system to weed out the competition in the 99 cent merchandise...

The buyer is in Japan, a toally different culture than China, and one of the least problematic places to deal with.  As previously mentioned; an INR from a buyer in Japan is much more likely to be legitimate than from most anywhere else; especially on a super cheap item.  They do ultimately get so many trips to the pig trough before being cut off from any protections.  So the odds of a buyer trying a false INR on such a cheap item are rather low.  They would rather pull that on enough higher value items to avoid triggering the cutoff.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 12 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@badwolf12 wrote:

@c.muscat wrote:

Cliffton

Can one of you please advise why this is happening? I have seen a few posts recently where CS is escalating almost immediately even though a seller is supposed to have 3 business days to respond with tracking or a refund to an INR claim. Instead CS is escalating almost instantly and seller is likely getting a defect for case closed without seller resolution. The above example is the worst yet, with a case opened on a Saturday then escalated on a Sunday.

Hey @badwolf12 it sounds like this situation may have triggered a faster resolution process that we are testing out. If an item not received case is opened more than 5 days after the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond then the case will actually be escalated for a refund after 24 hours have passed, instead of the standard 3 business days. We are testing the impact of this change and while these specific triggers represent a rarer set of criteria, you may see this from time to time being reported. If a seller has concerns with the timeframe provided, we recommend they reach out to customer service to discuss the details.

Message 13 of 714
latest reply

Hi Trinton,

Is this test supposed to be a general 24 hours (weekends included) or is it 24 hours factoring in the first business day?

Also, if a seller does have tracking but it wasn't previously uploaded, will CS reverse the decision and also remove the defect if a seller does have tracking with confirmed delivery but was unable to reply within 24 hours?

ETA: Is the escalation automatic or does the buyer need to call in for the quick escalation?

One more edit: Is the seller notified of this 24 hour timeframe when the message about the INR is sent to them?

Message 14 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@badwolf12 wrote:

@c.muscat wrote:

Cliffton

Hey @badwolf12 it sounds like this situation may have triggered a faster resolution process that we are testing out. If an item not received case is opened more than 5 days after the estimated delivery date, no tracking is provided and the seller does not respond then the case will actually be escalated for a refund after 24 hours have passed, instead of the standard 3 business days. We are testing the impact of this change and while these specific triggers represent a rarer set of criteria, you may see this from time to time being reported. If a seller has concerns with the timeframe provided, we recommend they reach out to customer service to discuss the details.

That's insane. What if the seller is gone for the weekend, sick, or has a 24 hr power outage, etc? eBay is not thinking this one through as usual. eBay needs to stop hyper focusing on the buyers happiness, vs the sellers ability to do business and have peace of mind in the process.

Message 15 of 714
latest reply