cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer getting message I don't have a PayPal account ...

Today makes the 2nd time this year a Buyer messaged that they cannot place a bid on an Auction item and that they get a message that I do not have a PayPal account.  The first time it happened, the Buyer was eventually able to place their bid.  Today I messaged the Buyer that its an eBay-PayPal issue, apologized for the inconvenience and suggested that they might wait until later to try again ... how embarrassing ...

-Anyone having this issue?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

I sold 1 thing today, no one has mentioned a problem to me. My worry is...if there is a buying issue they move on and don't bother to message you.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Did you block buyers who don’t have a PayPal account? A lot of buyers who don’t have a PP account linked to their eBay account misread the error message and think it’s the seller who has no PP account. Or they they think the seller is the buyer 😉

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@tweetystwades

@tweetystwadeswrote:

I sold 1 thing today, no one has mentioned a problem to me. My worry is...if there is a buying issue they move on and don't bother to message you.

I too received an Auction win very early this morning prior to the message from this Buyer.  However, when I went through the label printing I had an extra step with PayPal having me sign in manually opposed to the normal automatic log in.  This is a glitch and could cost one known and who knows how many other sales.

Regards,
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

@missjen831  Good point & thanks, I will double check but the other time this happened the Buyer was eventually able to place a bid.  So far its only been on Auction items.

Regards,
Message 5 of 41
latest reply

@missjen831  Yes, I have Buyers Blocked who do NOT have a PP account ... now of course I am afraid of asking the Buyer if they have a PP account in case the bird brain bots accuse me of trying to sell off the site because I asked that question ... catch 22, I'll let it rest and see what happens.

Regards,
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@missjen831  Yes, I have Buyers Blocked who do NOT have a PP account ... now of course I am afraid of asking the Buyer if they have a PP account in case the bird brain bots accuse me of trying to sell off the site because I asked that question ... catch 22, I'll let it rest and see what happens.

Dear buyer,

My eBay listings require bidders to have a PayPal account in order to bid or buy. If you don't have a PayPal account that could be the reason you are receiving an error message. If you do have a PayPal account then please let me know the exact wording of the error message you are receiving so I cay try to help you troubleshoot.

Sincerely,

Seller

If they have a PP acct and tell you the exact error message you can google it to try and find the cause or a resolution for the buyer.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

@mr_lincoln

These days with cc payment available through eBay there's no point using the don't have a PP account block - with the caveat that it is still useful for those selling in niches with high numbers of sports bidders.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Could this be an introduction to suggest you sell outside of ebay? Beware the Ides of March.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 9 of 41
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

Did you block buyers who don’t have a PayPal account? A lot of buyers who don’t have a PP account linked to their eBay account misread the error message and think it’s the seller who has no PP account. Or they they think the seller is the buyer 😉

So many people misread that message. I don’t know exactly what it says, but it needs to be rewritten.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@thatsallfolkswrote:

So many people misread that message. I don’t know exactly what it says, but it needs to be rewritten.

This screenshot is from a few years back. I don't know if the message is the same today. This message is/was displayed if the buyer doesn't have a PP acct or if the buyer has a PP acct but it's not linked to thier eBay acct.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

@duggmills

@duggmillswrote:

Could this be an introduction to suggest you sell outside of ebay? Beware the Ides of March.

Absolutely, it could be ... here's their reply after I explained it was probably an eBay-PayPal glitch and to try later: "Oh, ok. Thanks for the fast response. I’ll try again later."

But sure, it could be a lead in to an off-site sale ... one never knows.

Regards,
Message 12 of 41
latest reply

@mr_lincolnwrote:

Do you know the reason why you have this block set?

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

@thatsallfolkswrote:

@missjen831wrote:

Maybe it's the same people who can't use "buyer" and "seller" correctly when they post on this board?

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

I think that's just the result of a short circuit between the brain and the typing fingers = )

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 41
latest reply