cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed PP dispute within hours of purchase and before I shipped. Can this effect me?

Yesterday I accepted an offer and a couple of hours later the buyer paid through paypal. This morning, I got a few alerts on my phone but couldn't check it right away because I was driving. I'd gotten messages from the buyer: the first was asking for me to cancel the order. The second (sent about 10 minutes later) was the buyer saying they wanted the order canceled, why wasn't I responding, they filed a claim through paypal, and needed to hear from me asap. I sent them a message telling them that now that they'd filed an claim, I couldn't just cancel the order and I'd try to handle the situation when I got back home. So now I'm home.

Anyway, the buyer's notes on the paypal dispute is "emailed seller to cancel order no response." I'm about to refund their money through PP so I can cancel their order, but before I do I'd like to make super duper sure that won't backfire on me for some archaic eBay and paypal dumb rules reason. I know I sound silly and paranoid, but I've just returned to eBay after a decade absense, and so much has changed I'm having trouble remembering or keeping track of wires to trip over. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Buyer filed PP dispute within hours of purchase and before I shipped. Can this effect me?

How are buyers able to open disputes this quickly?

What did he file it as INR or SNAD - or something else?

And your buyer should know that many sellers will cooperate and cancel, but they do not have to.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

How are buyers able to open disputes this quickly?

No idea. It's a Paypal dispute, not an eBay dispute, so maybe PP doesn't have wait times.

What did he file it as INR or SNAD - or something else?

Under the reason it states "Credit not processed." No idea what that means.

And your buyer should know that many sellers will cooperate and cancel, but they do not have to.

That's true, but I personally have no desire to force a buyer to be a customer. I was happy to cancel for them, and I let them know that, but their filing that dispute muddied everything.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

You can open a dispute on PP at ANY time after the sale, even seconds.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

Is that new?

And what does the buyer file it under as it is obviously not INR or SNAD?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I had a similar problem with a buyer who asked me to cancel a sale.  When I finally saw the request(I was on vacation and had a 15 day handling time but answered in 3 days), she had already asked for a return---BUT I hadn't even mailed yet.  

Ebay let  her leave a negative feedback.  I called and the first rep didn't understand.  Luckily, I called back and a state side person removed the FB and canceled the order(I believed I couldn't even do that since it had a case against it.)  During the time, I posted a request for input and one of the mod indicated that I deserved the FB because I didn't answer her immediately.  

Looks like you have to be attached to the internet 24/7.  It would be nice if ebay would allow sellers to choose automatic cancel when requested--I don't really want to sell to someone who wants to cancel

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Which is a GOOD thing.

The eBay Dispute is slightly better for the seller , but it is good to get an unhappy buyer (or very hasty as in this case) over and done with before the seller has shipped or transferred funds to the bank.

Not all transactions are going to be perfect.

The buyer will be able to leave FB, since this is a PP dispute.

Have a Response ready. "Phoned cancel while I was driving Refund 2hrs later" or whatever fits your timeline.

And add her to your Blocked Bidder List.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

Is that new?

Its been that way since at least 2005 when I started selling. I had a buyer pay, I shipped, and she filed SNAD all in less than 6 hours. Thankfully my mail lady hadnt come yet that day so I just refunded and got the package back out of my mail box

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

Is that new?

Nope. Nothing new. They can file either case at any time. Buyer can choose either one. If it's an INR I think they have to wait 7 days to escalate it to PayPal though. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@dakotasmoke wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

Is that new?

Its been that way since at least 2005 when I started selling. I had a buyer pay, I shipped, and she filed SNAD all in less than 6 hours. Thankfully my mail lady hadnt come yet that day so I just refunded and got the package back out of my mail box

How is SNAD justified before an item even reaches the buyer?

If paypal is going to do this it should at least be buyer changed his mind and no feedback should be allowed.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

Is that new?

No.  PayPal has a 7-day waiting period.  Maybe a rep opened a case over the phone?

It might also be a UA - unauthorized- dispute.  OP could fill in that blank for us.  From the messages, it sounds like the buyer may not have the funds that were used for payment. Emergencies do come up, well, unexpectedly; and lots of people live right on the edge...

OP, Cancel through eBay, and the refund will be issued, along with the fvf credit.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

So there is a 7 day waiting period?

That is what I always thought.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I couldn't cancel through eBay because of the paypal claim. Ebay doesn't allow orders with PP claims to be canceled. I did refund the buyer through Paypal, which closed the case. But I still can't cancel through eBay because that will automatically refund the buyer, which has already been done. 

The reason for the claim on the PP case was "credit not processed," which google tells me is a chargeback through the buyer's credit or debit card. So I think the reason the buyer was able to open a case so soon because he/she disputed the charge to Paypal, get it? Paypal's not getting paid. I guess I'm old fashioned, but what surprises me is that the buyer was able to get that done on a Sunday.

From the messages, it sounds like the buyer may not have the funds that were used for payment. Emergencies do come up, well, unexpectedly; and lots of people live right on the edge...

This was my very first thought after I read the messages. I think the buyer realized his/her account is in the read and that payment to me will result in a NSF charge. So he asked for me to cancel, and when I took more than 10 minutes to respond he panicked and filed a chargeback with the card he used to pay. Had he just waited 30 or so minutes I'd have canceled right away and it would have saved him time and stress. 

IF that's the reason for his behavior (his second message seemed kind of hysterical, to be honest) I can understand. I've been there (no money), so I get how irrational it can make you. But buyer's really shouldn't expect eBay sellers to be sitting at their computers ready to respond to every message 24/7. That's just ridiculous. I was driving. I'm not about to check email while driving.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

So there is a 7 day waiting period?

That is what I always thought.

No. That is incorrect. The 7 day waiting period is for escalating and they don't always make you wait. If its been more than 7 days since the payment was made, there isn't a waiting period, I know from experience. From the paypal UA--If you are making an Item Not Received claim, PayPal may ask you to wait at least 7 days from the transaction date to escalate the dispute. " https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection

There is NO waiting period in regards to opening a dispute. It can be opened immediately. Has been that way for years. This paypal help page suggests buyers wait 3 days after purchase before opening an INR on ebay purchases https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-did-not-receive-the-item-i-purchased-or-it-is-different... But again the INR can be filed immediately.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Thank you for clarifying that. it's as I always understood it on PP as well.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 21
latest reply