cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claimed bad packing- but packing was super good.

Sold some breakage items. Packed very good with Styrofoam on all four sides of each item. Buyer is claiming bad packing with 3 out of 30 items broken. How do I know if the buyer broke them after unpacking??? Wants some refund. I said NO. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You don’t know if the buyer broke them or they were damaged in transit to the buyer. No matter how well you think an item is packaged the shipper will not take great care with the package.

If your buyer continues to insist on a refund, invite him/ her to open a return. Tell your buyer he/she will need to return all 30 items if he/she wants a refund. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@purplehullantiques wrote:

How do I know if the buyer broke them after unpacking??? Wants some refund. I said NO. 

You can't know. You can say no to the buyer but if they know how, they can always get the refund out of you.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Hi @purplehullantiques 

I'm very sorry this happened ... but items break occasionally ... despite excellent packing.  This is especially true with a box full of dishes.  [I'm guessing after checking your Sold items.]

If the buyer filed a return request claiming 3 of the 30 items broke ... you would be wise to agree to a partial refund of 1/10 of the purchase price.

Why?  Because if the buyer asks eBay to step in ... eBay will almost definitely refund the buyer in full (with your money) and let them keep all of the items.   You also will receive a 'defect' and forfeit your fees.

I get the feeling that the buyer probably was unnecessarily rude and abrasive in messaging you ... and that may be temporarily clouding your judgment.  You truly are taking a risk refusing any refund.  The buyer could have asked for a return for a FULL refund ... in which case you'd have to pay to have all the items returned AND risk further breakage.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Packing dishes, especially a box full is always risky no matter how carefully we wrap things. I'd do the partial refund, just saying no isn't good customer service, which should be given to anyone. They could very well go to eBay and at the very least you'd then be paying for return shipping if they decide to return everything...you're skating on thin ice.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

This platforms offers a money back guarantee to all buyers, regardless of your saying NO. You should read up on that policy to better understand it. Offer the buyer a partial refund for the three broken items or you may end up paying the full shipping to have everything returned to you, broken pieces as well. Best of luck to you....

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

There is no such thing as a "NO".  That buyer has a claim, legitimate or not. He can and will force your hand. You sit in a precarious place when you offer no returns. Ebay views it as the buyer has no recourse other than getting a full refund, which he will if he pursues it. He will keep all items and get ALL his money back. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

If I sold 30 fragile items to one buyer. I would pack in several boxes. For the really delicate and expensive items I would double box. The USPS will often take a box and drop it 10 feet on the concrete. When shipping assume they will throw and crush as well. Plenty of protective paper and foam and better yet double box. All of the big auction houses double box and often reinforce the boxes with wood. They sometimes take over a month to ship. I once sold an old acoustic guitar to one buyer. It took me days to make a custom box. Also, there are professional shippers that can be hired to pack large and delicate items. Use your noodle to the best of your ability. Even the best can ship items that get broken. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

For heaven's sake divide their total cost by 30 and multiply that by 3 and offer the buyer a partial refund. Otherwise provide a shipping label and have them return them for a refund. If you say no then eBay will refund in full and tell them they don't  have to return them.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I have to ask. What would you possibly send 30 of that are fragile? I cannot imagine ever sending anything in a single box with 30 items in it. My guess is no matter how well you packed something was bound to get broke.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

If you don't refund buyer eBay will do it for you and buyer doesn't have to return anything. That "no returns" means they don't have to return anything. No matter what you do or say you have to refund the buyer. 

Now, you can ask buyer if they would take a partial refund. 

At this point, unfortunately, you probably upset the buyer by saying "NO".  So, the feedback by this buyer may not be very nice.

Feedback is so important to me. What would I do in this situation...ask the buyer what partial refund would correct the situation. Even though maybe nothing got broken or buyer broke some things unpacking I would not say anything further on these words other than "what can I do to correct the situation". Don't make it any worse than it is....that "NO" is still there in a email to the buyer. I read your post and that "NO' is still in my mind and I didn't buy anything from you yet.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@purplehullantiques   did u ask them to send photos of the broken items?

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I think it is late for this. After that "NO" for refunds I wouldn't upset the buyer anymore. Just my thought.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps  IDK, I guess the seller could send a message and say something like, "Upon receipt of photos of broken items, I will refund accordingly."

This way, if the items are truly broken, the buyer wins. If they are not, the buyer would have to actually break the items to get that discount, maybe then not worth it for the buyer to follow thru.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Every seller in the history of ebay who has ever had a item damaged in shipping has claimed  it was well packed.

Let us know how that "NO" works out for you.

The Night Owls - Little River Band
Message 15 of 20
latest reply