cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asking refund for customs

Hey guys,

I guess for you larger volume sellers this must not be so rare but here is the case...

Buyer while in europe, his country was not in the EU thus he has to pay customs for the item he bought, which according to his sayings up the final price of the item by almost 60%(not unreasonable) and claims he thought his country was included in the trade agreement due to not having to pay custom fees for all his previous purchaces.

He asks for a refund for return but he cannot accept the item due to not being able to spare the custom fees(which are well above $300).

Now I do not know of his country's customs procedures, but what's the best course of action to follow to resolve the matter in the most painless way for both of us?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Not quite sure what you are asking.......  Obviously, the item needs to be returned before you refund him.......  Since you are in Greece, and buyer is somewhere in Europe, I would ask on an European Board...... for the exact procedure.  I don't know whether he has to formally "refuse" the item for it to be returned to you or what....... 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Perhaps, buyer should contact customs and request that the item purchased is being refused, and should not be processed through customs for his receipt, provide  customs with return shipping ?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

What your buyer is attempting to do is scam a partial refund off you.  Tell the buyer that they they are responsible for paying customs fees, it says so in the ebay policies, but they are free to refuse the item and they will ship it back to you and you will refund when it comes back.

And you should not be listing high dollar items on ebay until you have a lot more recent selling feedback.  Scammers target those sellers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything .

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Buyers are responsible for custom fees. Let him know that. If he refuses the package he loses his ebay money back guarantee. Customs should return your package if he refuses it.

Keep in mind this is the NA board, and the rules may be different for you so ask onthe uk or eu boards to make sure.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply