cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Wants To Return For Reasons We Spoke About Prior To Shipping

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sold a camera on Ebay a couple weeks ago. Buyer paid immediately. Before i shipped the camera, buyer asked what lens came with it. I explained to the buyer that the auction was for camera body only. The photo of the camera with a lens attached was used for demonstration and that the title of the auction stated "body only with extras" and the description of the listing stated that the extras are 1. Silicone case 2. Screen protector. The buyer replied "ah i assumed it came with the lens because of the photo. That's ok" 

3 days after shipping the item the buyer messaged me asking if he could cancel. I explained that i had already shipped the camera and that if he'd like a return, he can send it back insured. The buyer messaged me back "that's ok nevermind, just ship it if you haven't already" 

A day later the buyer left negative feedback on my account. "I wouldn't buy from this seller, my item did not match the photos" 0 stars. Complete negative feedback. 

A couple days after this, the buyer has filed a return request, stating that the item does not match description/pictures" 

Between the negative feedback and the return request filing, i have been cleaning out my email, unsubscribing to advertising, and i removed my cards and checking account from my PayPal. I was gearing up to close my PayPal and my Ebay account to start new ones. 

I don't understand what motivation i should have to accept this return considering the buyer blatantly accepted that he'd be receiving the body only, then went on to already give me negative feedback? If i do not plan to use this Ebay account anymore, can i just reject his return request, considering PayPal doesn't have my account information any longer anyway? Would it be ethical to do so? 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

First what you are attempting to do by closing your accounts and moving stuff around is likely to get you in trouble with both Ebay and PP.  Opening a new account will NOT protect you from anything.  Ebay will link the new account to this one.  So if your goal is to outrun this buyer and avoid a return / refund.  That isn't happening.  Ebay won't allow it.  

You don't have to be "motivated" to accept a return.  Heck you don't even have to agree with it.  If the buyer files an INAD, you will have to take the return and refund the buyer.  So since you have moved that money out of your PP account, you should start working on moving it back.  And if there was sales tax and shipping charges, you will need to cover that in the refund too.  Ebay will credit your Seller invoice for the sales tax, but you have to refund it first.

As to the negative FB.  If the buyer left that above your tracking shows the item was delivered, between that and the emails you have from the buyer, you might be able to contact Ebay and get it removed.  But if it did happen after the buyer received the item, you aren't likely to get Ebay to remove it.

You could, after you complete the return and refund, nicely ask the buyer to consider revising the FB they left for you.  If they say they would, then you can send them a FB change form.  But never send one before your buyer says they are willing to do it as they have a short shelf life, you can't send a second one and your buyer needs to know to be looking for an email from Ebay on the subject.  

Remember.  Stay polite and professional through EVERYTHING.  I know that can be extremely hard, but if you want a chance of that negative getting removed, you must not tick off your buyer any more than they already are.  

Keep us informed on how things are going.  I know this was an expensive item and likely to be a hardship to come up with the money.  But you will need to do that if they file an INAD.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick reply. I will return the item, then i will close my PayPal and my Ebay. I am not trying to close them because of this issue. My biggest fear is that the buyer will return the camera damaged. I have already spent the money i made from the sale of this camera, on a new camera, assuming everything was ok. I have the money to refund him it's fine, but i can't be out the money if he returns the camera broken & i cannot resell it. Is there any protection if the buyer returns the camera broken or returns an empty box? The buyer only has 2 Ebay transactions and his account is new. 

I will request feedback revision after the buyer sends back the camera. Should i be asking the buyer to send it back insured just in case? 

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Ebay is a total RIP-OFF and only protects the buyer. Sellers are not protected in any way. 

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in my right to request that the buyer pay return shipping though right, or does Ebay inform the buyer that they have to pay return shipping when they file a return claim? 

And i don't fully understand why i couldn't leave feedback for the buyer? It says "private listing" and it doesn't allow me to give feedback on his profile? 

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply. I will return the item, then i will close my PayPal and my Ebay. I am not trying to close them because of this issue. My biggest fear is that the buyer will return the camera damaged. I have already spent the money i made from the sale of this camera, on a new camera, assuming everything was ok. I have the money to refund him it's fine, but i can't be out the money if he returns the camera broken & i cannot resell it. Is there any protection if the buyer returns the camera broken or returns an empty box? The buyer only has 2 Ebay transactions and his account is new. 

I will request feedback revision after the buyer sends back the camera. Should i be asking the buyer to send it back insured just in case? 

Ebay will not allow you to close your account within 60-90 days of a transaction.   Good to hear you will be able to cover the return funds.  For many that would be a challenge especially during this pandemic.

Don't send the FB revision form to your buyer UNLESS you have discussed it with the buyer and they agree they would be willing.  Also you need to tell them that Ebay will send them an email once you request it and it will contain a link so the buyer can easily change the FB.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in my right to request that the buyer pay return shipping though right, or does Ebay inform the buyer that they have to pay return shipping when they file a return claim? 

And i don't fully understand why i couldn't leave feedback for the buyer? It says "private listing" and it doesn't allow me to give feedback on his profile? 

Since you have a No Return policy on this listing if the buyer files for the return using a Buyer's Remorse reason, you will actually have the option to deny the return request if you want.  But know if they paid with a credit card, they will just likely go to the CCC and file a dispute.  But you are within your rights as a seller with this type of return policy to deny it.

If they file a proper Buyer Remorse return request you can still accept the return of the item if you want and yes the buyer would have to pay for the return shipping.

If they buyer files an INAD, you will have no choice in the matter, even if they lie when they file it.  On an INAD the seller has to pay the return shipping.

I don't know why you were unable to leave FB.  But maybe that is a good thing.  A seller is not allowed to leave negative FB nor are they allowed to say anything negative in the FB they leave.  If a seller does that they can get in trouble with Ebay.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow now i see why this place is full of upset sellers. So basically, even though my description explicitly stated that the auction includes camera body, case, and screen protector, and even though i have a message from my buyer where he accepts that the auction does not include a lens prior to my ship date, and even though the buyer has already given me negative feedback, i am expected to pay return shipping, cutting into the profit if i can sell the camera again, to a buyer that i have on record asking me to ship the camera despite expressing that he understands the auction does not include precisely what he is returning the item for not including. 

On top of this i cannot leave negative feedback to warn future sellers and i have no route of recourse if he decides to retaliate and he sends my camera back broken or sends me nothing in the box or switches my camera out for one he's already got that's broken or scratched. 

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buyer filed that the camera does not match pictures and does not include lense or red shutter button. He did not file buyers remorse return. 

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow now i see why this place is full of upset sellers. So basically, even though my description explicitly stated that the auction includes camera body, case, and screen protector, and even though i have a message from my buyer where he accepts that the auction does not include a lens prior to my ship date, and even though the buyer has already given me negative feedback, i am expected to pay return shipping, cutting into the profit if i can sell the camera again, to a buyer that i have on record asking me to ship the camera despite expressing that he understands the auction does not include precisely what he is returning the item for not including. 

On top of this i cannot leave negative feedback to warn future sellers and i have no route of recourse if he decides to retaliate and he sends my camera back broken or sends me nothing in the box or switches my camera out for one he's already got that's broken or scratched. 

You have got it.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also now see that the buyer who has an open return request for my camera ALSO HAS THE CAMERA LISTED FOR SALE ON EBAY! 

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This buyer has the camera listed for sale on Ebay with a return request open with me

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do i know this buyer is not planning to sell the camera and also get a refund?

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Report to Ebay, call customer service.  May also be mail fraud

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ebay will not answer on their customer support line, nor their technical support line. When i press 0 for operator/agent, it hangs up. When i ask for agent on the technical support line, it acts as if it is handing me over to an agent, then transfers me to the customer support line. 

Message 15 of 33
latest reply