cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Wants Refund for Item we didn't list/sell/ship...

We're not entirely sure what to do about this.

We listed and sold a pair of inline skates. Got paid and shipped them. Now we receive a message from the buyer telling us that they want a refund because they were listed as being a Size 12 and the buyer claims that what they received was a Size 9. We checked our listing (and the file of photos originally taken for the listing) which show two labels showing that they are a Size 12.

We asked the buyer to send photos of what they received and their photos show the same make/model of skates with labels saying they're a Size 9. However, one of their photos shows a different logo on the side of the skate to what our photos show. Obviously not the same skates.

Since we only had this one pair of these skates to sell, and all of our photos show them to be a Size 12, we're guessing that this is some sort of scam. That the buyer already had a pair of Size 9, wanted a pair of Size 12 and are trying to get us to accept the "return" of these 9s while they keep our 12s and get their money back.

If we accept a return and they return a pair of Size 9s these are not what we listed, sold or shipped. So how do we deal with this situation?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Your "sold" listings show that you sold two pairs of skates on 5/11 ... one is a size 12 in-line and the other is a size 9 blade.  Is it possible that you accidently switched the shipment of these skates among buyers?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

The size 9s were ice skates, which were just sold and shipped out this morning. We have another pair of inlines listed, also a Size 12, but these are a different make/model...

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

What concerns us most about this situation is that, as we know, eBay favors the buyer and as such it seems entirely possible that eBay will make us issue a refund and we will lose our sale money AND the skates we listed.

But why should we issue a refund for something that we didn't sell or ship? If we issue a refund and the buyer returns a pair of Size 9 inline skates that would be the same, to us, as if they sent a dead chicken; it's not what we listed, it's not what we sold and it's not what we shipped.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@nationalpawnshop wrote:

What concerns us most about this situation is that, as we know, eBay favors the buyer and as such it seems entirely possible that eBay will make us issue a refund and we will lose our sale money AND the skates we listed.

But why should we issue a refund for something that we didn't sell or ship? If we issue a refund and the buyer returns a pair of Size 9 inline skates that would be the same, to us, as if they sent a dead chicken; it's not what we listed, it's not what we sold and it's not what we shipped.

It is not just entirely possible, it is a fact. That is what is going to happen. Hopefully you can sell the size 9's.

Oh...and do not let eBay make you do anything. Accept the return. If you fight it you will end up with a defect.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

kewlstuff4u wrote:

We're not entirely sure what to do about this.

If we accept a return and they return a pair of Size 9s these are not what we listed, sold or shipped. So how do we deal with this situation?                                                                                                                        

I had a buyer who bought a chanel perfume and wanted to return a chanel perfume but a different scent. She posted a photo of the one she wanted to return because she said it wasn't as described. I called ebay, they advised me to accept the return and once I receive the perfume and if it wasn't the one I sold, call them and post photos of what I rec'd. I got lucky that my CS knew what she was talking about and that the follow-up CS read her notes and belived me over the buyer (for once) and she did not issue the refund. I got neg fdbk, but it was removed.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

So did the buyer confuse you with another seller?
You said the logo was different.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

If you receive anythining other than the size 12 inline skates, you need to open a case when processing with your return. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

First, I'd message the buyer and simply ask them if they might have you confused with another seller as you never had a size 9 and the logo/brand of the pictures they sent you show a different logo than the ones you had listed.

It's a remote chance, but not impossible.  If they are lying, they might dig a deeper hole or simply go away because you called them out on it.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

OK, so now the buyer has filed a Return/Refund request. In the formal part of the message is the following; Note that if you accept a return, you'll be charged for return shipping because the buyer mentioned that something's wrong with the item. We cannot accept a return of something we didn't list, sell or ship and will not pay return shipping. If the buyer were to return a pair of skates in Size 9 they would not be what was sold by us.

At the end of the message is the following; You can ask us to step in and help if there's a problem with the buyer's request.  OK, there is an obvious problem with the buyer's request so how do we ask eBay to step in and at what point do we do that? Before or after we respond to the Return/Refund request?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Just hinking, if the buyer still has the original shipping box with address intact; you could request a picture of the address label and you will know for certain if this item was shipped by you.  You are allowed to include photos to support your response to open cases.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

You have 3 business days to work this out before the buyer can ask eBay to step in.  You don't have to immediately approve the return.  You can message them through the claim.  They, however, do not have to reply.

Do NOT ask eBay to Step In.  It's all seen by bots and because you have a return policy, it will automatically be decided against you.  Even if you call, there are Customer Service Reps that will tell you "it's the cost of doing business" which is disgraceful.

Message and see what happens before you get any more worked up.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Have you tried asking the buyer if they have your item confused with another seller's since the size and logo are different on the skates they sent a photo of?

If the buyer said the item was sent by you, have you told them that you will report this to the USPS for Mail Fraud because clearly the package must have been tampered with en route for them to receive a completely different item... tell them to hold on to the packaging and the item as the Postal Inspector may need to stop by their house to inspect everything.

If the buyer sends back skates that you did not send them then they should be reported for mail fraud, reported to IC3, to their local police department, and to eBay for abuse of the MBG.

I see this happen over and over and have yet to see eBay provide solutions on how a seller should handle this other than accepting the return and reporting the buyer after the fact which, unfortunately, does not recoup the seller's losses.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

DO NOT CALL EBAY, DO NOT MESSAGE EBAY!  You will receive a defect, its guaranteed.  Accept the return, get the return.  If you contact ebay BEFORE you refund the money, you will 99% of the time receive a defect because the case will be closed in the buyers favor.  Even if you contact ebay and the CS seems to be on your side, DONT BET ON IT.  Your best bet would be to issue the refund and THEN contact ebay and try to get the issue resolved.  You may be able to contact ebay before issuing the refund and getting them to change the return reason to "didn't want" so you can get out from under the return shipping, but you may still receive a defect.  Its really a game of chance.  It's sad that this is so common on ebay, and it's sad that this one thing is what buyers scream for help with but it always falls on deaf ears.  You really should just cross your fingers and do what you feel is necessary.  I would suggest completing the refund and THEN contacting ebay because once you receive a defect, its yours to keep for 12 months.  You may have luck getting it fixed after the fact. 

When its all said and done, make sure you file a complaint to report the buyer and add the buyer to your blocked list.  Your complaint against this buyer may be enough to get this buyer account cancelled if they have done this enough and others have filed complaints also.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@bekenterprisesinc A few comments to your post:

CS does not have the ability to change a case from SNAD to remorse.

OP can contact eBay if they have questions. No issue with that. They just need to be adament that the case is not escalated as they are only asking questions and are not asking eBay to step in and take action. I've done it before without issue, you just need to be clear with the rep.

OP has a 30 day return policy on their listing so CS would ultimately say they have to accept the return regardless of the reason chosen by the buyer.

I agree that if buyer intentionally returns the wrong item they should be reported as noted in my post above, and yes they should also be added to the OP's blocked bidder list.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply