cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book Sellers: Catalog Turning Itself On Even When Opted Out

Book sellers, if you opted your listing out of the book catalog, check that the catalog hasn't forced itself on. 

All my book listings were opted out of the catalog. Today the catalog has forced itself on to all my book listings. When I create a new book listing and enter the UPC (ISBN-13), the option to opt out of the catalog (advanced listing form) no longer displays.

I've reported this issue to Customer Service, ticket #1-409663275318.

Please call CS if this is also happening to your listings that were opted out of the catalog. 

Generally, whenever I review eBay's book catalog to see if it's become usable, about 9 out of 10 entries are incorrect. Some are minor errors but many other errors will cause buyer problems! For example, when the catalog forces a hardcover format onto a listing for a paperback, of course we'll have unhappy buyers and returns. 

tyler@ebay

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Book Sellers: Catalog Turning Itself On Even When Opted Out

Booksellers with thousands of listings (myself included!) certainly don't need a whole Christmas stocking full of SNAD cases during the holiday season.

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

tyler@ebay   Cautiously reporting that as of this moment, The Attack of the Zombie Catalog appears to have been defeated for books! 

All my opted-out live - and! - ended listings no longer have the "About this product" catalog info. So far so good.

I'm grateful to you and the team for quickly working on this. The Dec. 15 shipping deadline for USPS Media Mail delivery in time for Christmas is fast approaching.

tree*fern

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

Confirming that I checked 2 other categories that had this issue and the catalog info is gone from those listings, as well @tree*fern tyler@ebay 

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 33 of 43
latest reply

I agree about the ISBN, and I too believe my non-fiction books are found by key word searches. I never put the ISBN in. I just leave it blank. The few times I tried to use it, there were too many mistakes.  Also, I like to make my own description, which gets lost if the catalog information is there. I take my information from the book itself and try to make an attractive and informative listing with a scan of the actual cover, not stock.

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

And more power to you -- that's the way that REAL booksellers have been doing it for DECADES!!!

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

I'm really glad to hear that the zombies have vanished without any need for you to go out 'hunting' them (I was really concerned that you'd need to do edits and that's the last thing you need)!

Still waiting for information on the question re: SNADS.

Thanks for the update!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 36 of 43
latest reply

tyler@ebay   I am an experienced zombie slayer, but it's a relief that we don't have to edit or re-create listings from scratch!  Hope they will help those with SNADs.

tree*fern

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

Wow- I don't know that I've ever seen eBay fix an issue like this in under a week.

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

If they come back saying they'll credit return shipping, remove the SNAD from seller metrics and remove any neg FB tyler@ebay, it would be great if you could get a reference number that sellers could use to cut through the red tape with CS on this. We'd all like to avoid too much wasted time having to hash out everything.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 39 of 43
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

If they come back saying they'll credit return shipping, remove the SNAD from seller metrics and remove any neg FB tyler@ebay, it would be great if you could get a reference number that sellers could use to cut through the red tape with CS on this. We'd all like to avoid too much wasted time having to hash out everything.

Amen. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 40 of 43
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@wastingtime101  - I've heard on this topic!

We’ve identified a technical bug that may have caused listings to show incorrect item details to buyers at the time of purchase.  This bug has since been fixed and we are working with our customers to resolve outstanding issues.  We are protecting all sellers with catalog issues by crediting return shipping costs and removing any associated defects and negative feedback.  We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your business.

The teams involved told me that members who receive a return due to this should also be receiving an email when protections and credits are applied. They seem very confident that there should be no need for proactive content to CS to get these protections. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 43
latest reply

Excellent news. Thanks tyler@ebay.

Let us know if you see those protections applied on that SNAD you faced @katzrul15. Knowing eBay, it probably won't be for 1-2 billing cycles.

@valueaddedresource was asking about this on another discussion - see the post from Tyler above for an update.

GLORIOUS!

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

I heard from @mr_lincoln that he got an e-mail about seller protections for this. The subject of the e-mail was "We're here to help make it right".

Hoping @katzrul15 will be able to report the same - or that she'll at minimum see the shipping label credit since she confirmed she had a SNAD from this issue.

Has anybody else gotten the e-mail on this? I had listings affected but no SNADs from it and no e-mail about the protections.

Thanks for coming through for sellers with this tyler@ebay.

GLORIOUS!

Message 43 of 43
latest reply