cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware: Ebay's "Authenticty Guarentee" service does not protect sellers!

Buyer damages bag, then return it!Buyer damages bag, then return it!

I am beyond frustrated and I'm not sure what else I can do except warn future sellers who read this.  ...So, about a month ago I sold a Red Vintage Chanel handbag.  Fast forward 4 weeks:  the buyer has "buyer's remorse" and decides she wants to return the bag.  I had a "no return policy" on this listing, the pics of the bag were recent and the description accurately described any issues the bag had.  So, out of options, this buyer resorted to claiming the bag was dyed (which it wasn't) and says it smells like "leather dye" and claims the red color is coming off.  Within her dispute, (see photo above) she then ADMITS to cleaning a Vintage Chanel LAMBSKIN leather bag with an abbrasive cleaner.  (FYI: using harsh chemicals to clean will DESTROY almost any leather bag!) She even included pics to show how the color was coming off when she "cleaned it" (AKA: stripped it of color by using a toxic chemical.)  The pictures she submitted with her dispute even show how the bag is now faded and now nothing like the pristine bag I sent her.  And yes, before it got to her, this bag was authenticated & verified in Vegas through Ebay's 3rd party Authenticator.  ...So, I called Ebay customer service and explained my situation, even siting how the buyer admitted to altering the bag by stripping it of color with a chemical cleaner.  I was told "not to worry, if the bag has been altered in any way than what was originally sent out to the buyer from the autheticator, then the bag will be sent back to the buyer and my money is then released to me.  The customer service rep. even ready the dispute and also agreed that the buyer should be in the wrong on this one.  ...Fast forward to last night:  the 3rd party authenticators side with the buyer.  ...I'm livid and honestly of the mindset that they never bothered to look at the bag and compare before and after pics, despite what I was told on the phone.  Well, so much for Ebay having your back if you're a seller.  The buyer got away with her scam and I doubt it'll be the last time she does this to an honest seller.  So, Beware my fellow sellers, as this service (despite its claim to the contrary) offers no protection for you.  If a buyer damages your item and returns it, too bad.  My $ is still being held and the damaged Chanel bag is on its way to me.  And yes, I will appeal, but I'm not optimistic after being told my case was open and shut!  I'll update if that changes, but I wouldn't hold your breath.  This is such a shame and all Ebay has done is enable this scammer to screw the next seller down the line.  😠

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

How does ebay know who is telling the truth, you or the buyer?  They don't.

That's why they usually side with the buyer.

Strange Way - Firefall
Message 2 of 53
latest reply

In this case eBay will know because the bag was authenticated and will see in what condition the bag is returned in.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Several things come to mind...

First off, I have personally known about the fiasco that this "authenticity guarantee" program really is, however if you can read between the lines and you pore through their agreement then you too would see that this outcome shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Now, as far as buyers...

I'm not sure if the buyer's ignorance stems from them just being that way or if they're maliciously and deviously doing things to "ensure" their refund or what it is that gets in their way of just simply returning a product, and the reason I say this is because the level of ignorance truly baffles me.

The outcome here however, most likely has to do with the "No Returns" policy.

This buyer likely saw some minor little itsy bitsy teensie weenie discrepancy (i.e.: buyer's remorse) and started to have second thoughts so they thought maybe just return it and get their money back and OOOPS! Oh noooO!!! But...

Oh yes, the buyer just found your "No Returns" policy!

And the fear set in, they're STUCK with it?

Oh no, nonono, now the buyer goes into panic mode and out comes their inner scientist summa **bleep** laude detective gone jury-judge Matlock panel to find out just HOW we're going to PROVE (beyond a shadow of a doubt mind you) that there is something HUGELY WRONG with this item so that they can return it as INAD.

What is this, color, lets see if it HOLDS fast.

Try a little chemical oh look it comes off, yup, we knew it, FAKE!!!

(how was it fake, didn't the authenticity program guarantee that it would be real?)

Doesn't matter, it's fake and it can be returned, WHEW!!!

Heart attack averted.

Barely, but hey.

And thus, we arrive where we are now.

My suggestions?

Stop wasting time and money on the authenticity program, again if you simply read between the lines and go through their entire user agreement you should be able to quickly spot how this is just a money making scheme for eaby.

And no, they won't stand by your side as a seller.

Also, start using a 30-day Free Returns policy as that will keep buyers from destroying your product in their zealous effort to find a way to return it.

How it works out, simply tack on the cost of the return to your item's price and deduct the cost of the authenticity program from the item's price and voila.

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

Can you help this seller luxury_handbags@ebay? The Authenticity Guarantee program has failed them.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 53
latest reply

The authentications should have known if this bag was dyed to begin with. If it passed inspection by them then if this bag was as the buyer said it should have been THEIR responsibility to tell the seller that and sent the bag directly back to the seller. Since authentication approved the bag for Sale, they should be the one’s taking responsibility if this bag was altered. I think your buyer has damaged to bag for a refund. They will sometimes do anything to get their money bag including damaging the merchandise.

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Well yes, if there is a no return policy at times a buyer may try to get around that by altering the merch. Seems like a tricky situation with these. 

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

It could be worse. If this buyer had started a chargeback, you might have been out of the bag itself and the money. No matter what this authentication program quarentees ebay cannot fight a chargeback properly. It is out of their control.

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

The authentication process should reveal the truth.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

This authentication program seems to mirror the shoe program. It's the sellers JOB to understand and comprehend what is going on with these programs. Complaint after complaint rolls in on these programs. They don't "work" like they are being sold to sellers. 

The "potential" to make more/better sales exists, but at a cost as well. This is an example of the COST to sellers. The shoe program has also sent the wrong shoes to buyers, falsely claimed shoes as fake and kept them (so presumably the authenticator could keep them), among many issues. How long before sellers start seeing this with other categories of items authenticated? My guess is not that long. 

A hand bag should NOT be sent back to the seller in this circumstance. It's not about the seller's return policy. It's about a bag that was certified authentic, being returned after abuse. It not a "fake" if the authenticator CERTIFIED it's authenticity. Allowing the return through the authenticator is an admission that the authenticator was either wrong or they just can't tell fake from real. If that's the case, then the whole REASON for using the authenticator is false. eBay and/or the "authenticator" should be liable for any expenses in this case, not the seller. 

If eBay and the authenticators will not stand behind the process, then what is the POINT of selling these type of items or using the service? You may as well not use it and eliminate the **bleep** Buyers and sellers are gaining nothing and it's not helping or improving anything. If this program is supposed to give peace of mind (by means of certification) then why would this ever become an issue? It just simply doesn't do (this program) what it claims to do. 

I'm sorry the OP is going through this. However, this is why some of us sellers say, "NEVER sell anything you are not willing to give away AND pay the shipping".  Well, because this is why. Situations like this are "rare" but it seems to be happening with more frequency at this point in time. And being a "rare" situation is of no comfort to any seller when the sale has significance. Many seller are experiencing lower/slower sales. Each return or scam hurts more when there are less sales to spread it over. Sellers understand there is only so much you can raise the selling price before there is no sales.  

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

Not sure about any of the authentication process, but the bag is no longer in the condition in which it was sold. Buyers has removed colour with chemicals, so wouldn't this be a solid basis for appeal ??

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 53
latest reply

Does the authenticator certify the condition of the item too? Good, bad, or ugly?

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

In this case eBay will know because the bag was authenticated and will see in what condition the bag is returned in.

Agreed 100%. Stories like this has deterred me from selling. Defense of eBay's behavior on these boards is shocking to me.

This issue should be cleaned up in seconds if in fact the item was authenticated by eBays system. 

Whats simply amazing to me is purses, shoes, watches, sport cards etc seems to be what eBay wants to specialize in yet delays in supporting a seller who spends the time to get the item authenticated.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

I wonder how "rare" these circumstances really are. I doubt that every seller who has an issue reports it here. 

It would be interesting to see true stats on that but I also doubt ebay would ever release them. 

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

I had a "no return policy" on this listing, 

@nikki_fashions 

According to the eBay poilicy regarding the authenticator program, this should have been what they call a "final sale".   The claim should not have been processed in the first place.  Open the FAQ sections here:  

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-handbags-seller/

The applicable statement:  

Can buyers return items purchased with Authenticity Guarantee?

Buyers can return an item if the seller accepts returns, as stated in the listing, and the return takes place within the seller's return window. If the seller does not accept returns or the buyer submits the return outside the return window, it will be a final sale and not eligible for returns.

AND this: 

Applicability of eBay’s Money Back Guarantee (“eMBG”).

For authenticated items, eBay Money Back Guarantee only covers items that satisfy the eMBG eligibility requirements and are not received or that arrive damaged. Learn more about eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Now the question is who to contact about your issue.  Regular customer service is not likely to be of any assistance.  Perhaps you will get a response from the tag   someone posted upthread.  If not, ask about it using the big blue Send Message button here: 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

Include your name, user ID, contact information, transaction number, and what is transpiring that is against their own policy of no returns/final sale.  If they can't help you, perhaps they can find someone who will.  

Message 15 of 53
latest reply