cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to create listings for wholesale lots of DVD's

Hi,

I'm in the process of unloading hundreds of DVD's that are targeting resellers on Amazon who have the permission to sell DVD's with an MSRP over $25. This is a very high quality lot, which I will split up into multiple listings. Ideally I want to copy and paste the Amazon info into the HTML description, with a stock photo of the individual DVD. That is the hard part. Is there any way to avoid using third party HTML and image hosting tools? I certainly don't want to go through the effort of manually downloading and re-uploading these images in an HTML editor. I was wondering if there is a tool out there that allows me to paste the image into the editor which will then automatically create a copy of it on their server, and also updates the image link accordingly. A service that offers this feature I would gladly pay for. I also would like to include a direct link to the Amazon product page,  which I can imagine is a violation, but I'm not sure.

An entry for one items out of, let's say, 40 in a lot, would look like this:

The Passion of Joan of Arc (The Criterion Collection)
UPC: 037429139820
Amazon Sales Rank: 56648
  • 10 New  & Used Offers
See all product details
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I think you will be/are running quickly afoul of eBay's rule about offsite sales.  I don't think you'll be a seller here very long if you try to crosspost actual amazon items.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Selling DVD is a waste of time its 2018 and few people buy or even use them when they can stream TV now. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Selling DVD is a waste of time its 2018 and few people buy or even use them when they can stream TV now. 

I would probably still buy them. I'd rather give birth to another child than try to stream a 2 hour movie with my pathetic slow glitchy internet connection and non-existent cell service. It would take 5 hours to even set it up to record and watch later.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

They have this thing now its called fire stick and you can plug it into your TV or even just install a program to a phone or tablet connect wirelessly and watch movies from the internet at your leisure (no recording or download waiting involved).  Ebay wants you selling tech items anyway not outdated movie media from 20 years ago that no one collects or uses. They dont even sell dvd players in stores anymore and laptops did away with them 10 years ago when they went ultra slim.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

BEst Buy still sells DVD players unless something has happened recently. There are still plenty of buyers for DVDs as sold listings will demonstrate. I don't think though that either ebay nor Amazon would appreciate Amazon listings migrated identically to Ebay pages.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

He can try to sell them. EBAY wont let him cross list. If you sell them $9.99 each on EBAY with free shipping you might get a buyer. It will cost you $2.66 to ship them media mail.  That leaves you $7.33 each in profit. Then tack on ebay fee you lose $1.00 so you end up with $6.33.  Paypal then takes another small percentage you made $6. So you made $6 for one sale and you will maybe sell 1 or 2 a week (if youre lucky).  Then you will get a complaints, a return, people wanting to replace their damaged DVD with yours the one that doesnt play (claiming yours doesnt work). They will INAD you and then you have to pay for a shipping label to get it back (where ebay also makes a profit selling you a label).  Another $2.66 cents loss on top of $9.99 you have to refund so your profit is negative -$2.66 cents.  DVD's just dont sell quickly here even if you have the most desirable titles like horror movies or drive in movies.  Not to mention the 10 other sellers selling the same DVD for $3.99 plus $2.66 shipping whos price you cant compete with. Ebay conveniently will list their listing right on top of  and also next to yours and even on the same page. 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Understand that if you sell DVD in wholesale lots:

A) You should charge shipping on lots over 1lb as opposed to individual listings where you can ship them for $2.66 each media mail and offer FREE SHIPPING.   A box of DVD lot can exceed 3 to 5lbs so you want to charge shipping or roll it into the price so you dont lose $15 a sale. 

B) If a buyer doesnt like one of the DVD's in the lot he can request a return of the whole lot and you have to accept if its an INAD plus pay for the return shipping (or offer partial refund and they keep the item if the buyer accepts). 

C) Buyers can be dishonest and leave you holding the bag. Its cheaper to sell them individually. 

D) It takes a long time to sell DVD's they can sit unsold for months/years but you are still responsible for listing fees here each month

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Best Buy still sells computer towers too but most people these days use their phone a laptop or a tablet. It doesnt mean they are flying off the shelf. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

They have this thing now its called fire stick and you can plug it into your TV or even just install a program to a phone or tablet connect wirelessly and watch movies from the internet at your leisure (no recording or download waiting involved).  Ebay wants you selling tech items anyway not outdated movie media from 20 years ago that no one collects or uses. They dont even sell dvd players in stores anymore and laptops did away with them 10 years ago when they went ultra slim.

LOL. I don't have a smartphone or a tablet; both are pretty useless where I live because of poor internet and cell service ... zero bars on the flip phone is a good day.  As I said, the connection speeds where I live are terrible. The few times I tried to watch something on my TV over the internet it was stall, buffer, show a few minutes, stall, buffer.

Having a player isn't a problem for me so I would buy DVDs. Heck I would still buy VHS since the player I have plays both DVDs and VHS tapes.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Thats great but the rest of the country and planet actually uses and buys 2018 technology (at a premium I might add).  Your internet service where you live is poor but for most people its not. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Best Buy still sells computer towers too but most people these days use their phone a laptop or a tablet. It doesnt mean they are flying off the shelf. 

One thing that concerns me about DVDs is Netflix. I am a heavy consumer of Netflix. I use streaming a lot but also rent 4 DVDs at a time to feed my hobby! Their catalog of movies on DVD is huge. Just today I put some DVDs on my queue that are for 1960s Masterpiece Theatre productions. Try to find that on streaming.  Or foreign films.

So..I hope enough people still watch DVDs that NF doesn't shut it down due to lack of business. 

As for ebay, most if not the vast majority of DVDs are not worth listing. But that is true for pretty much everything.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Yet, here I am selling hundreds per month on 2 different accounts...go figure.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Yet, here I am selling hundreds per month on 2 different accounts...go figure.

And to add, between my two accounts I'm not even in the top 10 in DVD (or CD) sales. There are companies that sell 100x what I do monthly.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

And Hastings closed down which was one of the largest media sellers both here & AMZ, so that left a bit of room for others.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 15 of 23
latest reply