cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Offer

I do not list my items with the "best offer" feature.  And yet buyers still make offers to me.  Two days ago a buyer offered me 5.00 less than list on an item.  And that was reasonable so I lowered my price and messaged that I do not usually sell allowing offers to be made but I had lowered my price for her and.......nothing.  Today another message from the same buyer asking if I would take 10.00 less for it-- This time I messaged I did not sell allowing offers and then I said something I should not have said--I told her she had a lot of nerve.  If I ever use the best offer I usually offer about 5.00-7.00 less.  In the past when i listed using that buyers would offer me 10.00 on a 45.00 listing.   I think it must be a cultural thing.  In some countries you are expected to bargain, it is rude if you don't and silly me thinks it is rude if you do.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Best Offer

happens all the time - I hate when they state if you sell it for ___ I will pay immediately. I still politely say no thank you but good luck shopping. The other thing I hate is when I offer as preowned and they want perfect condition never worn.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

@needitlikea0inthehead,

When a buyer makes a lower than asking price offer on a listing that does not have Best Offer on it, I add that person to my Blocked Buyer list and ignore the offer.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

I have never blocked anyone

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

@needitlikea0inthehead wrote:

That is, of course, your prerogative. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

That is your prerogative, of course.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

As you noted, for some it is a cultural thing. Ebay is, after all, a global platform that attracts a broad spectrum of buyers. Best not to get too emotionally invested in the random offers one gets. While it may seem rude for others to make offers on listings not set up to accept them, eBay does not discourage the practice. In fact, they have made it easier for offers to happen, regardless if Best Offer is not on the listing.

As a result (and you already know this) it is not a good idea to scold a prospective buyer, especially when they are expressing an interest in an item. I have declined plenty of unsolicited offers, only to have the buyer return and pay full price. Being an eBay seller requires a thick skin at times, to keep from letting random strangers get under one's skin. It is business, not personal. Look at it as an opportunity to close the sale, rather than as an insult.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

It's just as exciting to decline ridiculous offers as it is to sell something. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

@needitlikea0inthehead,

Just because you've never blocked anyone before, doesn't mean you shouldn't do that. There have been problems with buyers who have made offers that weren't accepted or ignored, buying the item and later claiming damage asking for a partial refund which just "coincidentally" happens to bring the price back to the offered one.

They also have the ability to leave negative feedback if you stick to your guns and go for the return for refund.  After all, since your listing did not have Best offer on it and the person did ignore your terms of sale with the unwanted offer, so why would you expect them to play by the rest of the rules?   

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Best Offer

Even though you don't have best offer enabled on your listings, ebay still allows buyers to make an offer just in case.  As you stated, you were even willing to reduce some on your listing, so it might have worked out.  Granted, the buyer pushed their luck, but all you have to do is decline.  Why go further than that?

When a buyer clicks on contact seller on any of your listings, there is an option to make an offer.  When that is selected, a message pops up for the buyer telling them to send a message with their best price.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply