cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Offer didn't automatically accept

I set my best offer to automatically accept a best offer of above $400. At  0927 on a Sunday, I was offered $450. I didnt see it on my email because I was sleeping. About 30 minutes later I had another offer of $405. This offer was automatically accepted. I missed out on a bigger sale and I have no idea why. The parameters were set. Why did it automatically accept a lesser  offer? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best Offer didn't automatically accept

A best offer is not automatically accepted when there is text in the comment box for you to review. The $450 offer must have had comments while the $405 offer didn't.

The first offer of $450 was probably a scam attempt. Your expensive sneakers were listed at $450 or best offer. Nobody would offer $450 when they could "buy it now"- unless maybe they were trying to delay payment- but usually only scammers offer your top price or above when they could purchase without waiting for a reply.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

A best offer is not automatically accepted when there is text in the comment box for you to review. The $450 offer must have had comments while the $405 offer didn't.

The first offer of $450 was probably a scam attempt. Your expensive sneakers were listed at $450 or best offer. Nobody would offer $450 when they could "buy it now"- unless maybe they were trying to delay payment- but usually only scammers offer your top price or above when they could purchase without waiting for a reply.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Actually, I bought a bunch of game lots this year at BIN price without making an offer at all. I will often buy on the spot if the price is right to begin with and I'd rather not negotiate and risk losing the lot. Not sure why you would assume anyone who doesn't make an offer is automatically a scammer, that's nonsense.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Not sure why you would assume anyone who doesn't make an offer is automatically a scammer, that's nonsense.

That's not what they said. They said it was odd because the buyer placed an offer for the same amount as the BIN. That's what made it sketchy. If they were willing to pay that much, why wouldn't they just BIN?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Actually, they clearly stated "usually only scammers offer your top price". And you're right about the the BIN price, why wouldn't they just click buy it now if they were willing to pay the full price.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Actually, they clearly stated "usually only scammers offer your top price". And you're right about the the BIN price, why wouldn't they just click buy it now if they were willing to pay the full price.

Actually, I clearly stated-

usually only scammers offer your top price or above when they could purchase without waiting for a reply.

the dog's interpretation of my post is correct. The red flag is that the potential buyer could have BIN at $450 but instead sent an offer at $450. Sure it could have been someone who wanted to delay payment by using the offer feature, but- based on the OP's low FB count, lack of other listings and the price of sneakers they were selling- it was more likely a scam attempt.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I personally have a quite a few people just click on the ( BIN ) rather use the best offer !! Why ?? Because they want the item, they don't mind paying the ( BIN ) price and Best Offers Can Come With Delays Depending on the Best Offer listing !! 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Your Best Offer of $450.00 Came with a Notation from the Buyer !! Anything from ( I Will Purchase With Free Shipping,Etc ) I have had those and Those Offers Need Your Approval !! The $405.00 Offer Shot Straight Thru with No Additional Info that Required Your OK !! 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, the guy included a message along with the offer which was the BIN price. He wanted to discuss ways to purchase the shoes. It was probably a scam.

Thanks
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Since this is the newest "Best Offer" discussion I will post my belief as a Buyer here. Best Offer means just that You have stated as the seller you are willing to sell your item for the best offer received. This nonsense that Sellers on Ebay have the right to do anything they want with an offer is just than, Nonsense. It is misleading. Call it "Make An Offer" that indicates it can be rejected or a counter offer made. But a Best Offer listing to lure in buyers?? If you offer something worth $1,000,000,000 at Best Offer and you get only one offer of $1 THAT is your Best Offer. You are obligated to sell it for the best offer you received. If you don't like that don't claim it's available for the Best Offer And if you don't like THAT common sense understanding of the English language I suggest you go back to school and restudy it. AND if you want to ridicule me for stating the obvious expect some real clever degrading answers back. Don't even get me started on Ebay auctions that aren't really auctions and don't accept the highest bid with some hidden reserve requirement that must be met first...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

This is a discussion board and it seems like maybe you want arguments instead. Did you appoint yourself "real clever and degrading" or is that just something you have heard? That is a waste of time and doesn't fit in well with a discussion board.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I am also primarily a buyer, been on Ebay buying, selling and posting to the boards since 1999.

It doesn't really matter how you think Best Offer should work. That's not how it works on Ebay. If you don't like how it works on Ebay, nobody is forcing you to use it.

On Ebay Best Offer means the buyer should send the seller their best offer. As in don't cheap out, bid your max. 

Also, reserves are not restricted to Ebay only, they have been used in other auctions for ever. AND there are many different kinds of auctions, not one kind of "real" auction as you seem to believe. Ebay is a modified Vickrey auction. There are silent auctions, sealed bid auctions, Dutch auctions, etc which are ALL real auctions.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply