cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic returns now in effect?

(This is in regards to my other ID)

Just received a return request that was automatically approved...is this new? Have had a couple return requests in the recent past and this has never happened before as I have always had to choose an option to go forward with the request.

I checked to make sure I have my return choices on in my seller account and they're still in place (to only automatically return if return is $1 or less), so this is definitely a brand new process. Picture shown is the message I received.

PS-At least it wasn't a SNAD...also happy to have a 20% re-stocking fee in place(whew!)

IMG_20171027_182113.jpg

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi again
Sorry  so many new things happening that I haven't let it all sink in yet but Yes I think this is part of the Seller fall 2017 update

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017-fall/returns.html

Automatic acceptance of returns

Beginning in October 2017, returns requests may automatically be accepted to make the returns process easier for you and your buyers. eBay will automatically accept a return request and provide a return shipping label to the buyer when the buyer pays for return shipping. If you offer free returns or if you are required to pay for the return shipping label, automatic acceptance will only occur if you have not replied to the buyer return request within three business days.

Automatic acceptance allows buyers to ship items back to you quickly and efficiently, and get their refunds sooner. You will also save time and receive reimbursement for final value fees.

You can continue to control the efficiency of your returns process by creating rules in your return preferences to automatically approve returns or send immediate refunds without requiring the buyer to send the item back

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Hi Pommy
Are you opted into guaranteed deliveries by chance?
The reason I ask is there was a post about someone being opted into automatic returns with the guaranteed delivery, check out this post

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Guaranteed-Deliveries-Opted-me-into-Automated-Returns/m-p/2765...

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

Hi Pommy
Are you opted into guaranteed deliveries by chance?
The reason I ask is there was a post about someone being opted into automatic returns with the guaranteed delivery, check out this post

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Guaranteed-Deliveries-Opted-me-into-Automated-Returns/m-p/2765...

I don't know why anyone would opt into that program.  They all need to stop now, no one can guarantee a delivery, and just like when ebay said they would pay for global shipping problems, they won't be paying for this either.  You will, and you are right now.  

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

Hmmm...I didn't opt into it, but maybe eBay put me in anyway. How do I check for that?

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

Hi again
Sorry  so many new things happening that I haven't let it all sink in yet but Yes I think this is part of the Seller fall 2017 update

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017-fall/returns.html

Automatic acceptance of returns

Beginning in October 2017, returns requests may automatically be accepted to make the returns process easier for you and your buyers. eBay will automatically accept a return request and provide a return shipping label to the buyer when the buyer pays for return shipping. If you offer free returns or if you are required to pay for the return shipping label, automatic acceptance will only occur if you have not replied to the buyer return request within three business days.

Automatic acceptance allows buyers to ship items back to you quickly and efficiently, and get their refunds sooner. You will also save time and receive reimbursement for final value fees.

You can continue to control the efficiency of your returns process by creating rules in your return preferences to automatically approve returns or send immediate refunds without requiring the buyer to send the item back

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

It's all part of the annual eBay Christmas Shopping Season Bash!

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 6 of 55
latest reply

Oh - and if.....white_check_mark you are opted into the guarantee free returns - sorry the RESTOCKING FEE no longer applies - isn't Ebay great? (Sarc):tired_face:Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

The odd thing is I know I didn't opt into guaranteed delivery nor free returns, so what's worrying me is that this is a new process...that we will all have automatically approved returns whether we agree or not. 

BTW, the 20% re-stocking fee applies due to it being a buyer remorse return (that was the first thing I made sure to check on). Just got another automatically approved return as well...never had back to back returns, sheesh 😞

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

Were they both for buyer's remorse? It appears from the blurb those are the only returns they'll process automatically.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 55
latest reply

Yes (thankfully)

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

Just had this happen as well. I contacted eBay and the CSR stated it was new and that there should have been a message sent out explaining it. I have been looking through past messages and have yet to find one that stated this was a new policy for them.

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

Op, per the recent seller update if you accept returns (vs. "no returns") then going forward ebay will auto approve any remorse return.  This applies to all sellers if they have a return policy.  

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Amazon started this a year ago for their 3rd party sellers - but their policy covered all returns so if the item arrived damaged - claims weren't being pd out by the shipping service because the item was already on it's way back.

People can complain all they want but if you have a return policy - you're going to be accepting it anyway. Buyer can print label and return - seller doesn't have to worry about going into resolution center and accepting return. Change is inevitable to keep up with the ever changing market - we may not like it but you have to do things to make buyers happy.

Right now Amazon is teaming with Kohl's in LA and Chicago I think it is where if you need to make a return to Amazon - you can just take the item to Kohl's and they'll package it for you and ship it back. No running around looking for a box to ship it in or afraid of leaving it out on the porch for a pick up as it may get stolen.

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

...People can complain all they want but if you have a return policy - you're going to be accepting it anyway....

Ah! Another reason to have a "No Returns" policy.

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

I'm confused about posters saying to put "No Returns" in their listings... can't the buyer just claim SNAD to get a return anyway? 

Message 15 of 55
latest reply