cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic returns now in effect?

(This is in regards to my other ID)

Just received a return request that was automatically approved...is this new? Have had a couple return requests in the recent past and this has never happened before as I have always had to choose an option to go forward with the request.

I checked to make sure I have my return choices on in my seller account and they're still in place (to only automatically return if return is $1 or less), so this is definitely a brand new process. Picture shown is the message I received.

PS-At least it wasn't a SNAD...also happy to have a 20% re-stocking fee in place(whew!)

IMG_20171027_182113.jpg

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Automatic returns now in effect?

Buyers who are bound and determined to return an item will find a way to do so regardless of your return policy. I think having a return policy results in honest buyers paying to return your item. It's also good customer service to offer returns on "mail order" items.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 16 of 55
latest reply

@lovemypommy wrote:

I'm confused about posters saying to put "No Returns" in their listings... can't the buyer just claim SNAD to get a return anyway? 

Yes.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 17 of 55
latest reply

But it won't process automatically.

Message 18 of 55
latest reply

@fossil_diver wrote:

But it won't process automatically.

Yes, I know.  Policy clearly states buyer's remorse returns (or some such wording).  I'm glad this thread was started; I had totally forgotten about this "you spoke we listened" seller bonus.   

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 19 of 55
latest reply

I agree... returns really are just a part of doing business and luckily most of the buyers I've had have been honest when choosing a reason for their return. Those few not so honest buyers can really chap your hide though, lol.

I think what bugs me about the automated returns (remorse) is that there is no communication between buyer and seller before the return is approved...there are many situations where a buyer jumps the gun and opens a return. In the recent past it was possible to take care of your buyer if there was an issue before the return was approved. 

Message 20 of 55
latest reply

From that link;

Starting Fall 2017, you will have added protection when you offer free returns. You can deduct up to 50% of the item price if the returned item is damaged or missing parts.

I can see the posts now- A brand-new computer/phone/camera or other expensive item is returned by automatic return, without the hard drive or other parts, or damaged, ripped, broken; unsellable and the seller might get up to 50% refunded.

Most people wouldn't exploit this open gate, but some will, I think.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 21 of 55
latest reply

@lovemypommy wrote:

I'm confused about posters saying to put "No Returns" in their listings... can't the buyer just claim SNAD to get a return anyway? 

Yes! But you can fight (and win many times) a SNAD with a no returns policy (or even a buyers remorse return for that matter). There is no reason to try to fight it if you have a return policy of any kind. EBay has clearly posted here many times that if you have a return policy, they expect you to accept the return (even if it clearly fraudulent). You even have a "decline" button on a buyers remorse return, which does not exist if you have ANY return policy (unless its outside of your policies). A return policy of any kind is the death knell of the seller fighting a return.

Message 22 of 55
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

Buyers who are bound and determined to return an item will find a way to do so regardless of your return policy. I think having a return policy results in honest buyers paying to return your item. It's also good customer service to offer returns on "mail order" items.

That has NOT been my experience here on eBay when I had a return policy. Almost 100% used a fraudulent SNAD return to try and avoid paying return shipping and/or a restocking fee. Unfortunately, I was unable to fight those with my return policy.

It might be "good customer service" if your Costco or Walmart, but if you're Joe Blow on eBay selling off your parents estate, it's a waste of time and money. Shipping has gone nothing but up in the last few years and I expect it to go even higher soon. In fact, if eBay can't real in shipping costs like the River has, eBay's time on the Internet is short lived for US goods.

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

People can complain all they want but if you have a return policy - you're going to be accepting it anyway. Buyer can print label and return - seller doesn't have to worry about going into resolution center and accepting return. Change is inevitable to keep up with the ever changing market - we may not like it but you have to do things to make buyers happy.

well I definitely disagree with this. I have had many people open up return requests and then change their mind when I helped them or convince them not to return it. I have also had people open up return requests for items that haven't even shipped yet or been delivered.

There is a benefit to not having returns automatically accepted.

Message 24 of 55
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

not all buyers are crooks.

Message 25 of 55
latest reply

Yes, automatic returns are now a part of eBay.  Unfortunately, unlike other (bigger) ecommerce sites, they can return items that are broken or missing parts and you can only charge up to 20% restocking fees, unless you offer free returns.   Which in our case, where we sell really large items, we cannot do and survive.  I thought eBay was doing well trying to get sellers and buyers back onto their platform, but this is horrendous!  More ways for buyers to scam people...

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

My sales are really low as it is, maybe 10-12 items a week, and I’ve gotten 3 return requests in the past 7 days. That’s a much higher rate than I’ve had in the past year. And they were all automatically approved whigh I did not recall happening before. Not a fan! In all 3 instances I feel lIke I provided enough information in my listing to have avoided those returns, but I had no option to not agree to the request. I cant afford to be accepting a lot of returns, especially if I’m doing what I’m supposed to do (clear pictures, good details, measurements). Ugh!

Message 27 of 55
latest reply

yes they can

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

The problem I have with automatic returns is it takes away my ability as a seller to offer another option - like a replacement.  I realize I could go ahead and contact the buyer and make the offer, but by then the return is underway and a done deal.  

Message 29 of 55
latest reply

This is another one of eBay's brilliant ideas.  If you accept returns, even if you have a policy that states "Returns accepted only if item is not as described", the buyer can return the item anyway.  For ANY reason (even buyer's remorse) within the time period you stated in your returns.  And eBay is granting them automatically, no input from the seller.  I have a problem with this, because eBay pretends that you have a choice in the matter, and invites you to create your return policy.  Then when you question them, they tell you your policy doesn't matter.  If you accept returns, they are granting the return.  For ANY reason.  Their solution to me was to make my policy no returns.  That is ridiculous.  I would lose potential buyers, and I am not agains returns, IF I MADE A MISTAKE IN THE LISTING.  Also, I did not even want a 14 day return period, but that was the shortest time I could choose.  The things I sell do not need a 14 day trial period, like electronics or some such.  

Thanks for listening.  I find this infuriating.

Message 30 of 55
latest reply