cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions Suck

Lately my auction activitey has sucked. I have auctions that have anywhere from 50 to 200 view with multiple watchers and no sales. Also, most of the items that are bid on (and that is very few) don't go up but the first bidder wins the auction even with scores of views and multiple watchers. Is Ebay manipulating this? Is there a glitch that no one knows about? Something just isn't right. 

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Auctions Suck

It's the powers that be not the chinese destroying eBay. The search engines need to separate new junk from better merch.
Message 46 of 73
latest reply

Just re reading your comment and I must say it is the most inane thing I have ever read. No the market place is not flooded in fact sellers of collectibles are fleeing Ebay in droves which should make for better sales. There is no drop in demand especially when the supply is much much less on Ebay. Lower supply should translate into higher sales but no on Ebay. I had the best beginning of the year  I've had in 18 years of doing this and then Ebay changed their search engine and went to some stupid catalog format. If anything Ebay doesn't want collectibles sellers and if that is the case then they need to stop suing other companies and let one of them take off in the collectibles market. I lay all of the low sales squarely on Ebay's shoulders. 

Message 47 of 73
latest reply

Wow! Just to show ebay's true side. My daughter has a store she started before she went away for college. She has active listings but has not been adding more inventory. I ship for her when she makes a sale. She just sent me a message to ship an item but said she never added make offer to the listing and never accepted an offer for it but got notice from ebay it had sold and needed to be shipped. So it seems that now ebay is editing listing and presetting the acceptance price.
WOW! This is really wrong. Really Really Really wrong.
Message 48 of 73
latest reply

I totally agree with you, The shipping is something that E-bay needs to fix, Is hard to compete with the massive e commerce industry when other companies offer free shipping and cheaper shipping coming from china such as Wish, Amazon Prime etc. My sales had dropped so bad that basically I'm making only the monthly fee payments to ebay. I have no choice sometimes to sell my staff at the local market places on line like Let go, Facebook Marketplace etc. because I don't need to pay fees on top of the little money I'm making. I'm ready to leave ebay and is sad to see this but the big fishes are eating the small ones. Ebay is getting old and bringing all the Chinese sellers from china doesnt' help us. I used to sell handmade pet jewelry a very reasonable price. found out the Chinese market sells them similar but no the same from $1.99 free shipping. What? My shipping cost is $3.75 regardless. crazy.
Message 49 of 73
latest reply

@bbsecondtimearound

@bbsecondtimearound wrote:
I totally agree with you, The shipping is something that E-bay needs to fix, Is hard to compete with the massive e commerce industry when other companies offer free shipping and cheaper shipping coming from china such as Wish, Amazon Prime etc. My sales had dropped so bad that basically I'm making only the monthly fee payments to ebay. I have no choice sometimes to sell my staff at the local market places on line like Let go, Facebook Marketplace etc. because I don't need to pay fees on top of the little money I'm making. I'm ready to leave ebay and is sad to see this but the big fishes are eating the small ones. Ebay is getting old and bringing all the Chinese sellers from china doesnt' help us. I used to sell handmade pet jewelry a very reasonable price. found out the Chinese market sells them similar but no the same from $1.99 free shipping. What? My shipping cost is $3.75 regardless. crazy.

Absolutely agree that eBay needs to get more agressive with negotiating better prices with the carriers that ship for US Sellers ... I don't care what the carriers say about not making money, they are making $$ hand over fist supporting an online sales industry that simply keeps growing.  At the local Post Office I see BOTH UPS and FedEx trucks there on a regular basis, they are sharing routes to optimize package movement and minimize cost. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 50 of 73
latest reply

China's shipping is subsidized, it costs them pennies to ship. They can ship cheaper to the US from China than I can ship the same thing from California to New York.

However, looks like they are finally going after this e packet shipping nonsense. Read an article today about it. Several countries have shipping deals. I was rather shocked to see Germany and France on that list. Say what?!
Message 51 of 73
latest reply

Donald Trump's is getting the United States out of the UPU (universal postal union) It will take about a year but no more Chinese Epacket. They won't be able to ship something for 12 cents or whatever anymore thus saving the u s postal service millions a year and saving us companies that they are destroying by eliminating fakes and counterfeits and I believe that the Chinese make up more then 50 percent of eBay sales and several years ago eBay stated that China is eBay's future and eBay has invested millions in China so eBay will be in trouble along with the river and many others if we back out of the UPU. Bla

Message 52 of 73
latest reply

@joesoucie22012

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

Donald Trump's is getting the United States out of the UPU (universal postal union) It will take about a year but no more Chinese Epacket. They won't be able to ship something for 12 cents or whatever anymore thus saving the u s postal service millions a year and saving us companies that they are destroying by eliminating fakes and counterfeits and I believe that the Chinese make up more then 50 percent of eBay sales and several years ago eBay stated that China is eBay's future and eBay has invested millions in China so eBay will be in trouble along with the river and many others if we back out of the UPU. Bla

If  that is indeed true then perhaps Home Office will really embrace all of us antique, collectible, vintage, unique sellers again to try and offset their bottom feeding item sales from over there ... hope springs eternal.

Regards,
Message 53 of 73
latest reply

I have been a member of eBay since December 1996. I totally agree about the shipping costs. It is one of the biggest reasons sales on eBay has declined over the years. It is very hard to sell a pair of Cowboy Boots or Work Boots, or anything near or over the 4lb range because of the high shipping rates. The USPS especially keeps raising their rates yearly. Example: If someone buys a pair of boots and if it ships across the US, the shipping is more expensive than what the customer paid for the boots. Even though eBay gives a shipping discount, they still add shipping charges. Ebay needs to negotiate with the USPS to get shipping rates lower, and they need not to make any money whatsoever on shipping. 

clothesusa in Boise, Idaho. 

Message 54 of 73
latest reply

@clothesusa  Members since 2007 and Sellers since 2015, we noticed when we started to Sell that USPS rates were a decent amount lower then UPS and FedEx Ground but when USPS had their first price increase after we started they moved their pricing (mainly Parcel Select and Priority) to right up under UPS and FedEx Ground.  I have been shipping things since the mid 80s but on eBay only since 2015 so I was somewhat familiar with who had good rates and who didn't.  I think with the advent of online sales and some savvy accounts manager at USPS they realized there was some "room" under their competitor's pricing that they could get by raising prices but not exceeding their competition.  During the late 90s USPS made an agressive move to invest over 39 million dollars in there Bulk Mail Centers (mainly for packages) to help automate the systems, reduce labor but most importantly, increase throughput and improve sorting accuracy (thus reducing human labor costs to rehandle packages). 

To your point, the coast to coast shipping is horendous and over that magic 4 lbs level I have seen rates double going from Parcel Select to Priority ... I KNOW people would be happy to wait say one more day for something if it meant getting it shipped cheaper.  I offer BOTH Parcel Select and Priority on most things and except for the same or adjacent zones Buyers select the low cost shipping method every time ... THAT tells me they are willing to wait AND the decision is price driven.  This debunks the whole Gauranteed Delivery thing eBay started pushing last year ... the proof?  Mine is from the decisions I see Buyers making .... every .... single .... week.

Regards,
Message 55 of 73
latest reply

Hello Mr. Lincoln,

I agree with you 100%. I offer the same type of shipping usually using the following exact order.

1. USPS Parcel Select.

2.USPS Priority Mail.

3. USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box.

4 FedEx Smartpost.

I usually find anything over 5lbs, if it won't fit in a Flat Rate Box, FedEx Smartpost across the USA is the least expensive, but usually takes 9 days for delivery from say Boise, Idaho to New York. In most cases USPS ends up delivering the package.

In most cases my customers usually pay for USPS Parcel Select, because they think it is the least expensive method. I have found I can ship in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Box with the eBay discount it costs me less money. In most cases the customer doesn't really know but they get it faster.

I do find I have to use the eBay shipping calculator on each and every item I sell to get the best shipping rates. I still find using all the tools and discounts the high shipping is one of the most single reasons why eBay sales are declining.

You are 100% correct with the Guaranteed Delivery that eBay offers. It's just another way they can save some money by decreasing Top Rated Sellers Discount.

Leo, clothesusa in Boise, Idaho.

Message 56 of 73
latest reply

I use to sell a lot on ebay,now I am lucky to sell 1 item per week. On my last 25 auctions which I had some listings where the cards were worth between $20-30 and a starting bid of $1.98. Not a sale was made and only had 3 or 4 views. I had over 900 items listed I have dropped that down to just over 200. Ebay is messing things up for the sellers and ebay dont care. Waste of time to try and call them for any info.

Message 57 of 73
latest reply

My last 17 items that I had placed on auction,did not even recieve a single bid. Some of the items were worth between $15.00$20.00 Most had 1 or 2 views. Thats impossible. Been on ebay over 15 yrs. with over 900 items listed. Now down to just over 100 and will be closing my store very soon. Its a shame.

Message 58 of 73
latest reply

"My last 17 items that I had placed on auction,did not even recieve a single bid. Some of the items were worth between $15.00$20.00 Most had 1 or 2 views. Thats impossible. Been on ebay over 15 yrs. with over 900 items listed. Now down to just over 100 and will be closing my store very soon. Its a shame."

Yes, it is, especially when eBay will give the small seller no help, advice, or any information for us to adjust to the new eBay. I understand changes, but not when they have so many people completely in the DARK trying to understand how to survive on the "New and Improved" eBay?

I've come to the conclusion that they don't want most of the small sellers to be clogging up their platform. One of their big mega sellers makes them more $$ in an hour than most of us do in a year.

Most of the commercials they are running are aimed at very young people, with the one I see pushed the most a rather annoying ad that has a woman singing, "Everybody wants a new thing, new thing", that's all the ad is. New thing, with a song aimed at 20 year olds.

I was excited when they ran the other commercial that still hinted at eBay having non new things like collectible comic books, but they are really pushing for the 20 crowd and cheap items. New, cheap items. The commercial is obnoxious (the other 2 I have seen are fine), but this one is scary, to me. It sums up exactly where eBay is putting themselves: New and cheap stuff, the bulk of it from China with free shipping and return it for any reason, even if you just think it made the air taste purple when you opened the box.

It isn't eBay anymore, not the eBay most of us have sold on for years. Things change, and sadly, this change is turning out to be a mass extinction for many species of sellers on planet eBay.

Happy bleep Holidays.

😞
Message 59 of 73
latest reply

When you say Auctions Suck do you actually mean ebay and seller hub?
Message 60 of 73
latest reply