cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions Need Their Own Search

Auction Items should have their own search & not be Included with regular listings, It would make it easier for customers to find auctions when that's what their looking for & It would reduce CONGESTION in regular listings

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Auctions Need Their Own Search

I can see why you have that opinion, since you do mostly auction, But for the most part auctions are one timers, that come & go & should not take priority over those of us who have stores & PAY promotional fees & are alway's here

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

Auction Items should only come up when you click on auctions 

That is all that shows up when click auctions only. I believe you are confused on how to search. Type anything you want then click auctions only.  ALL the other stuff disappears.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

If you want preferential search because of a subjective perception that people who do NOT do auctions 'pay more' - eBay isn't going to do that, it's an narrow value judgment.  They already tried it once when their general search quietly defaulted to "new" and "free shipping" without any search input.  Uhhhh...no.  Put it in the hands of the individual searching. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I can see why you have that opinion, since you do mostly auction, But for the most part auctions are one timers, that come & go & should not take priority over those of us who have stores & PAY promotional fees & are alway's here

I have been selling on eBay for a LONG time and have always utilized mostly the auction format because I find it advantageous for a number of reasons. I don't have a store nor do I pay to promote items but each seller is free to make their own decisions regarding those additional features along with the fees that go with them. As far as your opinion those are like belly buttons everybody has one. 

Are you also of the "opinion" that there should be a separation of those that promote at a higher percentage than those that don't? From a buyers perspective I could care less even if there was a separation I would check both the auction listings as well as "regular listings" to find the best value.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Are you also of the "opinion" that there should be a separation of those that promote at a higher percentage than those that don't?

Actually I thought that's what the promoted sellers were paying for: to get their listings out ahead of everyone else's.

I always sort my search results by Time: Newly Listed, so I'm not sure if a listing's promotion status even enters into that.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

There are already two ways to specifically search for only auctions using the Buying Format option: click "Advanced Search" in the upper-right corner and click the "auction" box under "Buying options" along with your search parameter keywords at the top of the webpage; or, after conducting a search parameter using the relevant keywords click the "auction" box on the left side of the search results page and click "Search" again. You can also click the "Used" box to eliminate most new items during the refined search.  

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I always sort my search results by Time: Newly Listed, so I'm not sure if a listing's promotion status even enters into that.

From what I've seen in my searches, promoted listings don't always come up at the top of the search. It seems to be random where they come up and as a seller, my opinion is that they're a waste of money.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

From what I've seen in my searches, promoted listings don't always come up at the top of the search. It seems to be random where they come up and as a seller, my opinion is that they're a waste of money.

Second that! I was searching in a niche market where I buy stuff for my selling account. I have my searches all locked in to Newly listed since it just makes the most sense to have the new listings come up first. I think I only had like 50 results for what I was searching because its not a busy category - and when I scrolled down the page I thought it was kind of weird that the 'sponsored' copy of the listing was coming up AFTER the original (unpaid?) copy. And not just right below the original copy either. The copy labeled 'sponsored' was several listings further down the page.

Even if the Newly listed sort order ignores a promoted status for a listing (as it should IMHO) I would at least expect to see the promoted copy next to the unpromoted one. Instead it looked like it was just tossed randomly into the mix.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

I use them to grab real estate in other listings since eBay insists on cluttering up listings with stuff from everyone else.  It's one of the few ways a table topper like me can get my foot in the door.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

@meme6253  

Actually I have a store and actually I use PL Standard Campaigns about once a quarter but only pay the Ad rate ("Promotional fees?!?") if an item sells.  And actually I don't understand the "one timer" comment since ANY listing, GTC or Auction, where there is ONLY 1 item would qualify as a "one timer" ... if on the other hand you actually mean items that you Restock then in all likely hood those are NOT suited for Auction formats.

Additionally, I don't do mostly Auctions ... right now Auction formats are about 1/4 to 1/3 of my listings.  I also price Auctions correctly ... meaning the same way I would a Fixed Priced listing so that one bid makes profit, more bids then more profits.  So technically, for what I sell, either GTC or Auction there is NO difference between a 7 Day Auction that sells for 1 bid or a GTC listing that sells on day 7 of it's monthly cycle.

There is a difference between simply listing Auction style and knowing WHAT to list Auction style.

If you are concerned with Auctions appearing higher in Search because they have shorter durations and that eBay's Algorithms "may" push items up in Search that are "Ending soonest" then that is something you should ask them. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Buyers don't give a rats ass as to what sellers have store, what sellers don't have a store, what sellers are paying for promoted listings,etc...that's not their concern, they are in the market for an ITEM, they are searching for an ITEM!

and frankly sellers who  have stores, pay for promoted listings do so as their CHOICE!

seems like you are grasping at straws here because whatever your path here on eBay isn't working for you...seems like YOU are the one who needs to change...

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Easy solution for the OP would be for them to setup their own site that way they would not have to pay fees for store or promotion and they would not have to worry about competition and who came up first in a search. 

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Basically doing that now, Except not coming up first in search

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

You Can Keep Your Attitude!!

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

If you are setting up your own site then you would not have anything listed on eBay nor would anything come up in a search. Buyers would go to your personal selling site just like they go to other ecommerce sites to shop and look for items. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply