cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are buyers held to any rules at all? Seems like they can do whatever they want.

masterseven
Adventurer

Serious question.  Over the last few weeks I had a few situations.  One where the buyer won the item but then noticed the shipping charge and didn't like it and just decided not to pay.  Another two where the buyer won item and the just no comunication whatsoever still now to this day.  Further back I had a situation where the item arrived partially damaged (through no fault of my own) and I told buyer to send it back and I'll refund in full, he instead said that if I don't let him keep it AND give him full refund he'll leave bad feedback.... so he did.

Sees like eBay Buyers can litterally do whatever the heck they want and we can't do squat about it.  No negative feedback, no repercussions from ebay, nothing at all.  Reporting a buy or opening a dispute is a complete joke.

Anything I am missing?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@masterseven wrote:

Seems like eBay Buyers can litterally do whatever the heck they want and we can't do squat about it.  No negative feedback, no repercussions from ebay, nothing at all.  Reporting a buy or opening a dispute is a complete joke.

You are essentially correct. 

There is no vetting process for a buyer - all he needs is an email address to create an account. 

There is no point in allowing negative feedback - if it was allowed, the buyers would just create a new account and wipe it clean anyway. Ditto for "repurcussions" - new account, no repercussions. 

I'm not sure what you mean about opening a dispute - I didn't think sellers could open a dispute against a buyer. 

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

They can, actually. If the buyer doensn't pay after he won the auction, or if he just clicked "Buy It Now" and sent the item to the Chekout, he must complete the transaction by sending money to the seller. eBay gives several days to do it, and if buyer still doesn't pay, the seller have a right to open the "Payment not received" or "Unpaid Item" or something like this case. eBay says the buyer will be penalized, but I'm doubting if this really helpful.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I'm not sure what would work best for the items you sell, but if you list things as Buy It Now format and require immediate payment, or even if you don't require immediate payment, I think it would really cut down on non-payers. I do almost all BIN, but don't require immediate payment (so people can request combined shipping) and it's never a problem. If they're going to buy, they buy and pay. But it all depends on the item, some items do better in an auction. Just an idea. 

And I think if a buyer told you if you don't do this..... then I'm going to leave negative fb, and then they do leave neg, I think you might be able to get that removed. You'd have to still have their message where they told you that. They can't use fb to get you to do something that isn't required/agreed upon. You'd have to spend time on the phone with a customer service rep, but if they removed the neg that would be nice. 

Good luck!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Re: Opening a dispute. I meant going the "Resolve a problem" route where you click that and thens elect that you received no money.

I understand you think that there is no point because they can just keep creating new accounts but I don't think that holds water.  It is still an obstacle that they have to go through, an annoying one, and having it in place will, by its very nature, deter buyers from acting this way to at least some degree, albeit, not entirely.  ALSO, fine, then having them have to keep resetting to a new account would be much better than what happens now.  Right now, a buyer could have built like 20 positive feedbacks from 20 good transactions but have been **bleep**ty 80 other times and nobody would even know.  If they have to reset back to zero to get their feedback whiped clean then at leat you know you're dealing with a zero and don't have the false impression that you're dealing with a legit 20. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Yes.  What you said is true with emphasis on "ebay says," cause pretty much that is worth absolutely nothing - they don't do anything tp penalize anybody.  Maybe they get a message, MAYBE, but thats it.  Nothing that other sellers can see they're dealing with a bad account.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Wishful thinking.  You're right, that's the way it should be.  All the incriminating evidence is right there in the message, ebay should see it and see that I was pretty much being blackmailed right?  -- NOPE --- Got crickets from eBay 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Feedback Extortion is what it's called:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

It is too old now, but you could have gotten that negative removed by calling Ebay.  But you have to spend the time to call.  It is basically the only way to get it removed.  As long as you had the email proof that the buyer said what you described, then it is extortion.  Which is against the Ebay rules.

Ebay won't automatically removed the FB, but in calling Ebay you could have gotten it removed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

If one eBay rep doesn't help you, call back and hope for another one to do what they are supposed to do. By all means buyers aren't entitled to keep the item and refund unless you have chosen to do so, for them to demand that, report them. They will remove neg. feedback for you.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@masterseven wrote:

Anything I am missing?

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-user-ids.html

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

4 flaky no pays and cancels for me this month. It has been a record for my measley sales. Now I see FREE RETURNS on ads. Why would I want to do that?
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I called and did this at the time and was denied.  eBay saw it as the buyer was willing to send the item back but wanted me to pay for shipping. Which, a) was totally false and I have no clue where they were even coming up with that and b) Even if true, we're not obligated to pay for the return shipping of the item are we? (Don't have to answer that, B is moot point because of A).

At the time I didn't sell as often and had a lot going on in my life besides ebay and didn't care much to make a second phone call or to ush beyond that.  It upset me more in hindsight with all the other **bleep** issues I've had with buyers n more recent months where I've been selling more

RIGHT NOW I have a $425 item and a $200 item that was purchaed by two different buyers and both are unpaid.  While yes, they both ended about 24 hours ago and I should give it more time - I just KNOW these are going unpaid.  With my items, after 24 hours, odds of getting payment fall to like 1%.   That is $625 eBay is going to do absolutely nothing about.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@masterseven wrote:

I called and did this at the time and was denied.  eBay saw it as the buyer was willing to send the item back but wanted me to pay for shipping. Which, a) was totally false and I have no clue where they were even coming up with that and b) Even if true, we're not obligated to pay for the return shipping of the item are we? (Don't have to answer that, B is moot point because of A).

At the time I didn't sell as often and had a lot going on in my life besides ebay and didn't care much to make a second phone call or to ush beyond that.  It upset me more in hindsight with all the other **bleep** issues I've had with buyers n more recent months where I've been selling more

RIGHT NOW I have a $425 item and a $200 item that was purchaed by two different buyers and both are unpaid.  While yes, they both ended about 24 hours ago and I should give it more time - I just KNOW these are going unpaid.  With my items, after 24 hours, odds of getting payment fall to like 1%.   That is $625 eBay is going to do absolutely nothing about.

You really need to keep up to date on the rules.  You are expected to pay the return shipping on items that are "not as described" also referred to as SNAD.  Broken items are considered SNAD.  If you had clicked the button to refund when item was returned, send buyer a label, you would have been able to get the feedback removed.  You were your own worst enemy in this case.

On the two unpaid items, once 48 hours has elapsed you need to open an Unpaid Item dispute (UPI) and then 97 hours later close them.  Any other action will result in seller defects.

There are some seller protections out there, not many, but some.  Learn about them and avail yourself to their use.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

"he instead said that if I don't let him keep it AND give him full refund he'll leave bad feedback...."

That one REALLY gets my goat. Had one like that a while back - he wanted a refund w/o having to send th item back (yes, with me paying return shipping fees). He got SO angry, libeled the daylights out of me, then went and gave me a neg. I responded with "Sellers beware", freebie hunter." Never looked to see if that remained, but I hope so.

When I called eBay to request help with his neg, I was given the usual run-around and excuses why they couldn't change it, inasmuch as I could understand the heavily accented rep, that is.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply