cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another ridiculous return!

I sold an internet cable modem and he FIRST SENTENCE of the description states ‘JUST THE MODEM’. 

Now the buyer opens a return return case for ‘missing parts’ and is asking me where the cord is!!!

ebay won’t close it out, and if they do they’ll force close it and give me a defect I’d have to get removed a week later for ‘case closed without seller resolution’. 

And SUPPOSEDLY eBay has NO WAY TO CHANGE a false SNAD to buyers remorse!!!! All these dumb updates that ruin the site and all this time spent on useless tools, yet YOU CAN’T ALTER YOUR RETURN SYSTEM TO STOP FALSE CLAIMS!!!

PLEASEE, someone PLEASSEEEE TELL ME HOW A COMPANY MAKING THIS MUCH MONEY, can’t habdle something SO SIMPLE!?

another rep said ACCEPT IT and then appeal it after I get the return!! You have to be kidding me! What kind of advice is that! How about just fix your returns!!!

Message 1 of 173
latest reply
172 REPLIES 172

Re: Another ridiculous return!

Hi Honestabe411.

Can't put anything on sale for 14 days?
Sales diminishing? Promoted listings hidden? Listings not showing?

Ebay has a solution. You are now what ebay calls the "consumer-seller".

Ebay is looking for advertising to increase revenue- not sales.

Head on over to ecommercebytes.com. You'll see the article and Wenig quotes immediately.
Message 76 of 173
latest reply

Oh, and be sure to scroll down and read the comments. That first rate service from ebay is gonna cost you more now.
Message 77 of 173
latest reply

something similar happened to me but i accept returns. i accepted the return and filed an appeal. took about 2 weeks and it didnt go in my favor. its the best way to get you off the phone because complaining against their own rules just wont work. they follow standards. It may not be right and it can be infuriating but sometimes you just have to take the loss. i would accept the return though, that way the buyer doesnt have a freebie. best of luck to you and your sales.

Message 78 of 173
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

If I were to read "modem only" I would take it to mean...a modem and not a  modem/router. You have modems and you have modem/router combos. (I have DSL and use a modem/router combo.)   I would also expect a power cord. I would NOT expect ethernet cords and that sort of thing, but a power cord IMO is an integral part of any electrical device that is plugged in to an electrical socket.

"Comes with just the Modem

No issues and works great.

[...]

NOWHERE does the listing state that there is no cord.

[...]

I would also have expected a power cord, but have you noticed these days you can't even buy a brand NIB printer and expect to have it come with a printer cable? That would also seem essential to the printer being able to be used as intended.

Just a reminder: the missing component is not a power cord. It's an entire external power supply, with a rating that is specific to the modem.

Ethernet cables, USB cables or AC power cords are generic parts, and certainly you can list an item that works great without any requirement to include (or even mention) those, but this modem requires a specific dedicated power supply (12 volts DC, 0.75 amps, female 8mm collar connector) to operate. It was described as being in working order, but its power supply was not included. 

Message 79 of 173
latest reply

@honestabe411 wrote:

I sold an internet cable modem and he FIRST SENTENCE of the description states ‘JUST THE MODEM’. 

Now the buyer opens a return return case for ‘missing parts’ and is asking me where the cord is!!!

ebay won’t close it out, and if they do they’ll force close it and give me a defect I’d have to get removed a week later for ‘case closed without seller resolution’. 

And SUPPOSEDLY eBay has NO WAY TO CHANGE a false SNAD to buyers remorse!!!! All these dumb updates that ruin the site and all this time spent on useless tools, yet YOU CAN’T ALTER YOUR RETURN SYSTEM TO STOP FALSE CLAIMS!!!

PLEASEE, someone PLEASSEEEE TELL ME HOW A COMPANY MAKING THIS MUCH MONEY, can’t habdle something SO SIMPLE!?

another rep said ACCEPT IT and then appeal it after I get the return!! You have to be kidding me! What kind of advice is that! How about just fix your returns!!!

Since you have to really spell it out for people becasue they don't read listings, start your sentence with NO CORD, ONLY MODEM.  

Then when dealing with ebay, bots handle all the cases, you have to keep calling until you find the right rep who will help you with this situation, but had you stated NO CORD, you might be able to get more help, but it is a little tricky saying "only modem".  That could be misconstrued by people.

Message 80 of 173
latest reply

@annindallas wrote:
Oh, and be sure to scroll down and read the comments. That first rate service from ebay is gonna cost you more now.

Hmmm, I wonder if the new seller pay-for-ads button will have a big blue box just like the return box and the SquareTrade protection plan box so that you accidentally click it when you had no original intention to...

Makes you wonder why everyone's leaving doesn't it?

When folks are being tricked into clicking things that increase ebay's bottom line and take money out of our pockets, I can't imagine why such a silly tactic would make members desert ebay.

Message 81 of 173
latest reply

Just another day at ReturnBay™

Message 82 of 173
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

**general reply**

If I were to read "modem only" I would take it to mean...a modem and not a  modem/router. You have modems and you have modem/router combos. (I have DSL and use a modem/router combo.)   I would also expect a power cord. I would NOT expect ethernet cords and that sort of thing, but a power cord IMO is an integral part of any electrical device that is plugged in to an electrical socket.

"Comes with just the Modem

No issues and works great.

Due to it being pre owned it might have some minor blemishes but nothing major."

NOWHERE does the listing state that there is no cord.

Just my two cents FWIW

I agree and not only that, but just because the OP might be able to power it up does not also mean it works? 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 83 of 173
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@secretsquirrelisnowhere wrote:
Don't list parts under used. Used means it is working as intended with all the necessary equipment that was included as new. You only have part of the modem so it is not used but parts or repair.

That's not what that means.

It doesn't matter what you think "used" means. Here's what eBay says "used" versus "for parts or not working" means:

Used

An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, items that are locked or can't be activated, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

The OP's item clearly falls under the category, "For parts or not working;" therefore, he listed the item in the wrong category in the first place. 

Message 84 of 173
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@calntom wrote:

I have several listings like that and we know that is just asking for trouble. Though I do list mine as "for parts not working" and even then, it is just begging for a return.

Refund and buyer keeps the junk, move on.

No, instead get it back, buy a $3 power cord and resell it for $40.

The exact same item sells on eBay right now for the same price as the OP's item and they come with a cord.  In fact there are new ones for just a couple dollars more.

It is possible when the buyer was browsing and saw most of them came with a cord they let there guard down and just assumed all of them would have a cord?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 85 of 173
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

The functionality of the item wasn't the buyer's complaint. End of story!

It was EXACTLY the buyer's complaint. It cannot function without the cord unless you know some magical way to run it without power. Not only that, even if the buyer buys a cord it still may not work. WOW

False.

Buyer's exact complaint was that it was JUST the modem as described. Everything else is wild assumption.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 86 of 173
latest reply

@vsgt-57 wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:
Not at all. I will either get it closed and go through the hassle or appeal after accepting. I WILL be reimbursed by eBay 100% Guaranteed..how I am every time...its just a MASSIVE HASSLE on their part that they PURPOSELY do..I will continue to post all nonsense

I think you'll eventually lose with that strategy and it's also costing other sellers their sales.

It is difficult, with Big bad Poobah watching every move we make on these boards to respond in a clear and concise manner what I believe the problem is, but I will say fighting with buyers is never a good idea.

Hate walking on eggshells, but we do what we must if we are to survive.

@honestabe411 wrote:
So if I sell a car without a battery I should list the car in parts and not functioning?

Yes, ebay defines used as "fully operational and functions as intended."

And nobody here can claim that this is not so, once a cord is added. 

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 87 of 173
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

False.

Buyer's exact complaint was that it was JUST the modem as described. Everything else is wild assumption.

Wrong.  Copied from the opening post says

Good Luck Selling!

Message 88 of 173
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@calntom wrote:

I have several listings like that and we know that is just asking for trouble. Though I do list mine as "for parts not working" and even then, it is just begging for a return.

Refund and buyer keeps the junk, move on.

No, instead get it back, buy a $3 power cord and resell it for $40.

The exact same item sells on eBay right now for the same price as the OP's item and they come with a cord.  In fact there are new ones for just a couple dollars more.

It is possible when the buyer was browsing and saw most of them came with a cord they let there guard down and just assumed all of them would have a cord?

Good Luck Selling!

I didn`t care enough about the issue to research solds or active listings. The point for me is that the missing power supply is just a few bucks shipped. If what you say is true, and I don`t doubt it, and a buyer can purchase the same item with a cord for the same price, then the buyer should have done exactly that. This furthers my belief that the buyer either purchased in haste or didn`t see the description/pictures, and neither of those things are the sellers fault.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 89 of 173
latest reply

Call eBay back... sadly many if not MOST of the reps have NO clue.

Most sound like mechanical puppets reading from cue cards repeating same thing over and over to you.

You have to keep calling back until you get someone that UNDERSTANDS what you are explaining to them. If listing description clearly STATES "Just the Modem" it can go either way honestly. Most would "assume" it comes with cord. Edit listing to CLEARLY state NO CABLES/WIRES. Hopefully you will have better luck with a rep that isn't computer illiterate. One who knows their stuff will help you out. Sometimes it can take calling them quite a few times until you get someone that WILL understand and assist you properly. Good Luck!

Message 90 of 173
latest reply