cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 6+ months listings now violate offensive materials policy?

Is this new, have any of you received this? I have a large amount of Thomas Blackshear figurines listed. I sell some here and there but not nearly enough so I've relisted the ones that haven't sold many times. I recently received this message when trying to relist two of them

Your listing includes a term not permitted under our Offensive Materials policy

Another figurine that I was relisting at the same time went through just fine. Today I got another one blocked. I called eBay yesterday but they couldn't seem to figure out the problem or why it was "offensive". They said they'd message me later when they figured it out but of course I've received nothing. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

What were the titles of the 3 that have been blocked? Were they from the Ebony Visions line?

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Can you tell us what the titles were of your listings?

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
Could some of those figurines be considered golliwogs?
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Yes, the Ebony Visions line. I tried removing those words but still didn't work. 

Thomas Blackshear Ebony Visions Evening Rose Anniversary Red Dress 2005 #37130

Thomas Blackshear Ebony Visions 2003 Commitment Cake Topper 37116 Wedding Couple

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@frankbama41 wrote:

Yes, the Ebony Visions line. I tried removing those words but still didn't work. 

Thomas Blackshear Ebony Visions Evening Rose Anniversary Red Dress 2005 #37130

Thomas Blackshear Ebony Visions 2003 Commitment Cake Topper 37116 Wedding Couple

I looked up the definition of the word golliwogs and found this:  a soft doll with bright clothes, a black face, and fuzzy hair.

I don't understand how or why that would be considered racist.  Some of those dolls are very beautiful.   

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

From Wikipedia:

The golliwog, golliwogg or golly is a black fictional character created by Florence Kate Upton that appears in children's books in the late 19th century and usually depicted as a type of rag doll. It was reproduced, both by commercial and hobby toy-makers as a children's toy called the "golliwog", and had great popularity in the UK and Australia into the 1970s. The doll is characterised by black skin, eyes rimmed in white, clown lips and frizzy hair. Though home-made golliwogs were sometimes female, the golliwog was generally male. For this reason, in the period following World War II, the golliwog was seen, along with the teddy bear, as a suitable soft toy for a young boy.

The image of the doll has become the subject of controversy. Whilst some people see the doll as an innocuous toy,[1] its depiction of African people is characterised as racist,[1] along with pickaninnies, minstrels, mammy figures, and other caricatures. The golliwog has been described as "the least known of the major anti-Black caricatures in the United States".[2] In recent years, changing political attitudes with regard to race have reduced the popularity and sales of golliwogs as toys. Manufacturers who have used golliwogs as a motif (e.g. Robertson's Marmalade in the UK) have either withdrawn them as an icon, or changed the name. In particular, the association of the golliwog with the pejorative term "wog" has resulted in use of alternative names such as "golly" and "golly doll".
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

They're definitely not golliwogs and not sure how these figurines, which are beautiful and celebrate culture were all of the sudden offensive. I've sold many and I've been re-listing them for months.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for all that info, castle.  I still don't understand why they took something that is very obviously beautiful, and turned it into something racist. 

My mom has 2 whole shelves of beautiful black figurines, much like the ones described in that article, that she and I bought when we went to tag sales. 

I guess the only thing that can be done since I would never list any on eBay, is to sell them (at some point) at another tag sale where nobody can report them as being racist.  

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

I don't understand how or why that would be considered racist.   

to some, simply using "black" or "white" - even in a context that has nothing to do with people - is racist...

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Which is even more ridiculous seeing as it's the artist's name!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

alan@ebay
Another offensive materials listing that seems ridiculous. Thanks for any help
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@frankbama41 wrote:

They're definitely not golliwogs and not sure how these figurines, which are beautiful and celebrate culture were all of the sudden offensive. I've sold many and I've been re-listing them for months.

I was just responding to the post that wondered why some found gollywogs offensive.  I agree that these are not gollywogs and I think they are beautiful and celebrate culture as well.  Perhaps something in the wording on the listing tripped the bots?  Just speculation.  

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

Thanks for all that info, castle.  I still don't understand why they took something that is very obviously beautiful, and turned it into something racist. 

My mom has 2 whole shelves of beautiful black figurines, much like the ones described in that article, that she and I bought when we went to tag sales. 

I guess the only thing that can be done since I would never list any on eBay, is to sell them (at some point) at another tag sale where nobody can report them as being racist. 

You're welcome.  While I knew that gollywogs and the like can be considered racist, these figurines are beautiful and celebrate culture.  I speculated earlier that perhaps certain words triggered the bots, but I wonder if perhaps a competitor or simply someone who ran across the listing thought they were racist and reported them as such, and that triggered the removal.  

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

eric@ebay this would really be a big help if you could look into it.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply